Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Crosswinds feeling lucky to be alive
  • Stainypants

Looked at the weather forecast seeing it was going to rain this evening. I decided to go for a blast in the peaks over lunch rather than tonight. The ride up to the Goyt was beautiful and I was feeling very smug at getting out.

However the headwind climbing up to the Cat and Fiddle as ferocious. then once I got on the Cat and Fiddle road back towards Macc I was been blown 2-3ft into the road. I arrived back at work feeling lucky not be under a lorry.

Its really weird sitting in the coffee shop on a TC, having the previous 30 minutes trying not to die and no-one around having a clue what I’ve just been doing.

medoramas
    Free Member

#kudos

I hate crosswinds. As much as the headwinds can make you cry – they are more less predictable. No such a thing with x-ones…

Mister-P
    Free Member

I have to admit I have decided against commuting on the bike for the next couple of days. 40mph winds are no fun and I don’t fancy getting blown off.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Yeah was TTing in them yesterday. Sketchy as a sketchy thing in places.
    Well done on making it for a brew.

racefaceec90

bloody hate crosswinds also.

many years ago i had to cycle to swindon from devizes.

obviously it was very windy.

i cycled on the main devizes to swindon road (very busy).

the wind was so strong that i was clocking 45mph on the flat (on my cannondale f800 ht mtb).

the downside was the bloody cross winds.

especially when an 18 wheeler was overtaking me and sucking me into it’s draft 🙁

coming back was a nightmare (headwind all the way back 25 miles).

downshep

Dropped out of an Audax on Saturday for that very reason. 65mph gusts were forecast, well beyond the point of ‘challenging’ and comfortably into ‘foolhardy’ territory. One rider was blown off the road and others cited it as the fiercest wind they had encountered. I’ll go another day, when the roads are still there but the wind isn’t as dangerous.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yeh I reckon the ride home is going to be rather interesting, seems like the 40mph winds have come earlier than expected. This morning wasn’t exactly easy mind you – 12 miles on snow and ice.

Still, what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.

AlexSimon

Yep, had the same thing this aft.

Drove to Millar’s Dale and did a road circuit from there on 3 of 100climbs road climbs. Thankfully I had a tailwind on the climbs, but on the moor tops it was horrendous! Every time I passed an opening in a wall, my wheels would be tugged about a foot to the side!

Thankfully the roads aren’t that busy up there.
    Cat & Fiddle is awful at the top. In December I had to go down it in the middle of the road to stop any vehicle going alongside me. I was really glad to turn down into the wind (towards Wildboarclough).

I don’t think drivers have any clue whatsoever of the effect they have as they block the wind while passing either.

jam-bo

coming off dartmoor recently, on a long hill (merrivale) you can normally easily freewheel up to 45mph.

maxed at 8mph, pedalling, hard. almost stopped by some gusts.

theteaboy
    Free Member

I was blown off the road on Holme Moss once – right at the top of the climb, into the barriers. The headwind dropping down to Crowden meant I had to pedal furiously instead of the usual screaming free-wheel.

chakaping
    Free Member

Geraint knows how you feel…
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nQM_38OOVo[/video]

scandal42
    Free Member

Had 2 big rides planned this weekend, managed 1 small one and ended up feeling really frustrated due to the wind.

Hoping it eases off soon but it’s supposed to be stronger here tonight.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Crosswinds feeling lucky to be alive’ is closed to new replies.