• This topic has 29 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • 'Cross Curious Commute
  • andeh

I’ve just moved to the country, and although the abundance of peaches is nice, the roads are horrible. Lots of rough, dusty/muddy, grass-down-the-middle roads and tracks which aren’t particularly friendly on my road bike.

I’m not much of a roadie, and have never really “got” road riding, but it’s quite a nice way to get to work. My commute is going to be about 13 miles each way from the new place and I think I’d benefit from something with a bit more grip/comfort. Hopefully I’ll be able to swing something via cycle-to-work, but truth be told I have no idea what to look at. Likewise, much of the trail riding around here isn’t particularly wild, so might be made more interesting with the inherent lack of control which a ‘cross bike would bring.

I quite fancy hydro discs, as previous experience of cables wasn’t great, but that’s about it. I like the look of the Cotic Escapade, but it’s a bit too expensive for me, what else should I be looking at? Pics of yours? I quite like the idea of a single ring setup, though I’m unsure of the practicalities.

Saccades
    Free Member

I use a PX London road on my irish bohereen commute of 14.5miles.

Big, puncture proof tyres in winter (continental sport 38c) and then something nice in summer in about 28c (vittoria pave and just trying verdestien senseo weather extreme).

Loads of clearance for big tyres, can run guards and a rack and not particularly expensive. Looks good in violent green too.

Has a relaxed geometry (based on the sportive rt-58 model) which was good on the 114km loads of climbing spin I did last weekend.

richellicott
    Free Member

I’ve got a Salsa Vaya which I use for commuting and going out into the back lanes around north Wales, occasionally I take it around Llandegla too and it takes it all in it’s stride.
    They can be a little tricky to get hold of in the UK now but I beleive Raleigh have started disctibuting them now so might be possible.

Other than that, I really like the look of the Planet X Bish Bash Bosh too.

gee
    Free Member

I have a Salsa Warbird for sale if you are interested – have a look at my posting history for the advert.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

In the usual STW recommend what you got: I like the Norco Search Carbon 105.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Gee’s warbird looks a lovely bike.

Part of me thinks its a shame to use it as a commuter but equally i know i spend more time on my commuter than any other bike so its worth making it a good bike assuming you have facility to lock it away from prying eyes at work.

I would recomend what i have how ever as a standard bike im no sure ….seeing as ive changed a heap of bits after 600km and its got new hubs(dynamo and pro2 for railway line duties) , tyres , headset, seatpin and saddle so its not really the same bike- although all personal preferance than worn out – kona rove al is quite a bargain of a bike but mot nearly in the same league as gees warbird.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Here’s mine, my commute is a bit over 14 miles across the Quantocks, mostly narrow country lanes and plenty of offroad options if I feel like it. I use Vittoria XN Pro tyres all year round on and off road.

[/url]2016_04_10 932 DSCN0921 by Dibbs57, on Flickr[/img]

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I was the same as you OP – impending move out of town and the need to get to the station, albeit only 2 miles each way. Also wanted something to make the trails around here a little ‘different’ so bought a cross bike.

Looked around, didn’t want to spend much and ended up with a Verenti Substance from Wiggle. For the cash, it seems cracking. I’m still getting used to it but for commuting and tame trail riding it seems good.

andeh

Thanks for the response, recommending your own bike is perfectly acceptable, I just want to gauge what’s out there.

That Salsa is lovely Gee, but I feel like I wouldn’t do it justice. Also, I’m assuming you’re not C2W compatible? 😉

I honestly have no clue what would make a good CX bike in this instance. Is there anything particular to look for/avoid?

I’ve seen that the On One Pickenflick is at £1299 at the moment, which seems like a bargain….though, again, it’s a bit too expensive for my liking.

I love the idea of that there Cannondale Slate, but waaaaaay too pricey.

I do like that Whyte, Dibbs, also good to note the addition of mudguards.

Bregante

What about the GT Grade? 105 and cable actuated hydraulic thingummywatsits for a grand.

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

Nothing to add to the bike discussion, I just wanted to acknowledge and show my appreciation of The Presidents reference. Add that to my playlist this morning, not listened to them for years…..

Saccades
    Free Member

:facepalm:

Missed that reference – I just presumed he had moved to Turkey or something.

gee
    Free Member

Not do it justice? What’s wrong with having a decent bike with nice (pretty much new) components??!!

No CTW, but do drop me an email if you want to chat.

jimdubleyou

Seeing as nobody else has mentioned it yet – Pinnacle Arkose.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Ah I was just about to mention the arkose. I bought one, the arkose 4, a couple of months ago, I’m really happy with it. Mine is in full road commuter mode but it comes with kenda small block 8’s. Depends on your C2W scheme as if it’s through halfords you won’t be able to buy a bike from evans.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

never really got the point of drop bars off road

smokey_jo

Saracen Hack at a cracking price

Easily capable of a bit of off-road with the right tyres.

Cable discs but you can upgrade later….

shermer75
    Free Member

The peaches in a can were put there by a man, in a factory downtown.

shermer75
    Free Member

Sounds like you need something that fits biiig tyres. Like 32mm+. Then you can get back to your millions of peaches with ease

andeh

Looks like that thing wants to be raced Gee!

I really like the Arkose, particularly because they’re within my price range!

I see that GT have coined the term “Enduroad” for the Grade, not sure if they’re taking the piss or not.

shermer75
    Free Member

The Mango Point AR takes 32mm tyres, has discs and can be bought using cycle-to-work. At £750 for the 105 version you’ll have plenty of money left over for a rack, mudguards, panniers and a dynamo lightset 🙂

http://www.mangobikes.co.uk/bikes/point-ar-all-round/point-ar-shimano-1058

gee
    Free Member

It’s not a cyclocross race bike – I’ve used it for everything from road to Mtb trails and bridleways. Never been near a race course. Great for just riding about and exploring. Couldn’t think of much worse than a cyclocross race… Carrying your bike round a muddy field… Mmmm fun.

teadrinker
    Free Member

Another vote for the Arkose here. The Mangos are nice too. I’m just building up a Niner RLT for rough road riding and gentle off road commutes. But fear that will be out of your budget. The Arkose is awesome though for the money.

shermer75
    Free Member
    n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Looks and spec wise for the money, I’ve been a fan of the Arkose models with Hylex brakes for a while. If I had an Evans on my doorstep, which sadly I don’t, a test ride would be a must.

andeh

Evans have still got some of the 2015 Arkose 2 (the one I really like) in a size XL. Has anyone got one? What are they like size wise? I’m 6ft1 so on the boarder of L/XL.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Andeh, i have an Orange RX9 which I bought on offer direct from orange for £700. They have the XL left in stock.
    I love mine, taken it off road too. (used around the lanes of North Wales)
    Just swapped the wheels to some nice stans flows as the stock wheels are a big weighty.

jkomo

I converted an old rigid GT to discs. It’s heavy, but flys along.
    Canal side commute is 12 miles each way.

andeh

I had a look at an RX9 in 3 Peaks Cycles over the weekend, looked nice but I’m really keen to have hydros on it. Think they’re only £750 rrp anyway?

benp1

I have a 2015 Pinnacle Arkose 2 in XL

I’m 6’3 and size wise it feels great

It’s my most used bike (of 5) and has been completely commuterised – rack, guards, D lock, 32c marathon plus tyres. Also takes a Topeak milk crate on the back as well as my son or daughter in a child seat

I’ve been thinking about a second set of wheels for it but haven’t sorted that yet as I’m not sure how much I’d use it instead of the rigid MTB I have. Will get some at some point though I’m sure

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘'Cross Curious Commute’ is closed to new replies.