• This topic has 73 replies, 47 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by grum.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Crisis at Tescos'
  • PrinceJohn

Looks like all you people whom are boycotting are starting to have an effect – they’ve only reported profits of £1.7 Billion…

Bwa-hahahahahaha

wwaswas

I suspect this;

Restriction on Korean opening hours will reduce Tesco’s profits by £100m.

may have more of an impact…

alexpalacefan

Nope. Been boycotting Tesco for about 6 months. That will be it!

APF

spacemonkey

3 yrs here.

scaredypants

they’ll be fine – just need to squeeze their suppliers a smidge

cheese@4p

Yeah, especially the greedy Dairy Farmers.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

To balance out all the boycotters, we go there a LOT.

😛

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Unfortunately I am a proper skint and to be able to keep my bike habit afloat I have to frequent the local supermarkets to get the the best from my hard earned. Lidl has just opened up in the town so I may start shopping there as well.

Tesco express stores are quite handy.

Are Tesco’s that bad.? My friend works at the distribution center up the road and seems to like it there.

scaredypants

Are Tesco’s that bad.? My friend works at the distribution center up the road and seems to like it there.

All their employees roll around in big piles of cash all day, then bathe in the tears of FATCAT suppliers’ children before going home – just ask him

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

All their employees roll around in big piles of cash all day

*pops out to tap him up for a tenner.

grum
    Free Member

I think the main problem is their unhealthily large market share/power, and their complete disregard/bullying tactics over local planning regulations.

TooTall
    Free Member

I plan to worship at the Altar of Walmart for years to come.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Keeps the riff raff out of Waitrose! 😉

grum
    Free Member

Keeps the riff raff out of Waitrose!

Ha, Waitrose is for southern plebs. If only you were able to shop at Booths. 😛

wrecker
    Free Member

complete disregard/bullying tactics over local planning regulations.

They all do this.

grum
    Free Member

They all do this.

They probably do but as Tesco has the most clout/deepest pockets for legal battles I suspect they are the worst of the bunch. In Stockport they built a store 20% bigger than they had received planning permission for.

Coyote
    Free Member

They sell 750ml bottles of Innes an Gunn Original. They are guaranteed my custom.

SkillWill
    Free Member

” Tescos’ “

*ouch*

ohnohesback
    Free Member

This economic crisis is affecting even the sectors such as food that were thought to be reasonably immune to it’s effects. I won’t shed any tears for tesco, or JJB for that matter…

spyke85
    Free Member

Quite enjoying using Lidl and Aldi at the minute!

igrf
    Free Member

We go to Waitrose, we’ve petitioned to have metal and tattoo detectors fitted at the door to keep the riff raff out, if only someone could invent a Northern Monkey detector…

TPTcruiser

The new Tesco in Sheffield off Savile Street is too big and in the wrong place. It never seems to be busy when I wheel past, petrol seems a penny more than Sainsbury at Meadowhall. The opening of this store coincided with the slide in performance.

logical
    Free Member

Why boycott Tesco?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

You get a better class of out-of-control kids running around in Waitrose. Maybe I’m getting old and Daily Mail but it’s getting harder to resist the urge to give the dinny parents a stern lecture on keeping their brats under control in a public place…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Why boycott Tesco?

It’s the fashionable, right on thing to do. Apparently. 😐

ohnohesback
    Free Member

And the fact Tesco are crap.

grum
    Free Member

Why boycott Tesco?

I think the main problem is their unhealthily large market share/power, and their complete disregard/bullying tactics over local planning regulations.

easygirl

My lad works for tesco, as a delivery driver, decent wages, good conditions, they give him shares, and treat him well

TooTall
    Free Member

So said Stokes Croft.

grum
    Free Member

Any company controlling 30% of the UK grocery market is just not healthy, and they use their huge power to bully suppliers and local planning departments. I’m sure they all do to some extent but as above they are the biggest by far so have the biggest stick to wield.

emsz
    Free Member

use their huge power to bully suppliers and local planning departments.

I know at some level I should care about this, but I’m not sure why? I’m interested in my shopping bill really, and tesco generally have what I want.

grum
    Free Member

Well at least you’re honest about it, but surely you can see how the attitude of ‘I only care about myself’ isn’t a particularly great model for a decent society.

There is a reason why planning laws exist, and why farmers shouldn’t be screwed over to the point where it’s very hard to make a living, by a company making enormous profits. The general principle of ‘if you’re rich/powerful enough you get to do what you want’ isn’t really something to be supported.

DezB
    Free Member

I work in a business park. The only shop within walkable (or even ride-able, come to think of it!) distance at lunchtime is Tesco. Boycotting would be impractical. (plus it’s cheap.)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Any company controlling around 30% of the UK grocery smartphone market is just not healthy, and they use their huge power to bully suppliers and local planning departments. I’m sure they all do to some extent but as above they are the biggest by far so have the biggest stick to wield.

So, why no boycott for Apple, then? 😉

grum
    Free Member

Surely that should be a boycott for Android phones, seeing as they dominate the market?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2012/aug/10/android-smartphone-market-2012-apple

But whatever, nobody’s perfect. I try to buy my groceries from local shops/suppliers but I don’t always manage it by any means. By your logic presumably everyone has to have a completely perfect and consistent policy of ethical shopping, or not care at all? 😕

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Grum, I know, wasn’t being totally serious! (Also, Android’s share is split across many manufacturers, meaning that Apple are the most successful single manufacturer, rather than operating system)

druidh
    Free Member

Has any boycott of Tescos actually worked? I’m thinking of those communities who fight against having one, then find one gets built anyway. Has there even been an instance of Tescos then closing as everyone was still using their local, previously-existing shops?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Heres what I think:

Oh didums,
    Daredear,
    Never mind luv it’ll be alright,
    Sit down, have a busbuit,

No sympathy WHAT SO EVA.

Shame it’s only the food sector of tescos, the rest of the business seems to be keeping it’s head above water.

“will be happy when they fail”

totalshell

whats wrong with being sucessful?
    tesco by the way are NOT a party to the abuse of dairy farmers in fact the NFU recently printed posters praising thier attitude. Tesco are also the single biggest private sector employer in the country by some way.

i suspect many more would boycott stores if prices weree higher as a result of not squeezing suppliers profit margins, typically tesco make 4-5% profit i dont think many other businesses would accept that low a return and they are only able to becuase of size and volume

clearly the current management teams have some serious issues to address not least thier failure to deliver increased sales/margins. perhaps a few fewer folk driving mercs and beemers or walking round stores with mobiles and more folk filling shelves might be a start..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

“will be happy when they fail”

Of course you will. As would the 400,000 or so people who’d be unemployed if they did, obviously…..

:facepalm:

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Crisis at Tescos'’ is closed to new replies.