Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • crap computer games you actually liked.
  • drlex
    Free Member

“Wizard needs food… …badly”

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Hard Drivin’ on the Spectrum..

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMHcHbmu0Lg[/video]

terrible.

yet i still played it.

whytesky
    Free Member

Jet Set Willy on Spectrum 48k. Took an age to load but well worth the wait!

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

3D Death Chase. Basically you fly through a wood on a giant veiny cock!

Speccy classic.

Peeks n Pokes!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfwM68OgRDA[/video]

twonks

Icicle works on the Commodore 64 plus 4 (anybody remember getting one of those when they really wanted the regular C64 😆 )

martinhutch

That Bury Arcade Club looks ace – one for me and the lad.

gobuchul
    Free Member

“Wizard needs food… …badly”

Gauntlet was far from crap!

Jet Set Willy on Spectrum 48k

Was a work of genius.

The skill of the 8 bit programmers to use some really clever tricks to get so much out of so little code was incredible.

b1galus
    Free Member

used to play a fantasy type called Aliards tome (wanders off to search for it)

Cougar

That Bury Arcade Club looks ace – one for me and the lad.

It’s really good. Nice atmosphere, reasonably priced drinks and some lovely merchandise to be had.

drlex
    Free Member

Gauntlet was far from crap!

Too true! I was thinking of arcade games that were time sinks for me; I’d forgotten about the “crap” bit of the thread. Apologies to Atari.

Drac

I’ve got Gaunlet in my PS4. 😀

andy4d

Jetpac for the spectrum….just don’t know why I played it looking at it now.

chestrockwell

Roland in the Caves – Amstrad special.

I knew no different, I was young and naïve

+ Roland on the Ropes and (I think) Roland in Space. Many hours wasted there. Best bit was that the Roland character was totally different in each game with no reference to any of the others!

Sticking with Amstrad how about Harrier Attack, Fantastic Voyage or the early Dizzy games?

Another just remembered, Break Out on the Toshiba where you played as the Toshiba bloke from the ads.

Drac

Dizzy games were great or at least the first ones were.

dannybgoode

Jetpac was awesome. No crapness there!

Agree ee coding skills as well. For consoles like the 2600 they had 1kB to play with. How they wrote anything that remotely worked is beyond me.

Often the development team was a person with a couple of months to complete the game.

chestrockwell

Dizzy games were great or at least the first ones were.

Agree on Amiga, less so on Amstrad. At £4.99/7.99 they made many full price £24.99/29.99 games look vastly overpriced.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Dicewars

Snake

tenfoot

Return to Moonbase Alpha on my Acorn Electron

A text based adventure game…..I loved it.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Forbidden Forest on the Commodore 64.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9QVl5Z9gL0[/video]

What a train wreck of a game that was. Never stopped me spending hours playing it.

solidrooster
    Free Member

Lode runner, way of the exploding fist and Frank Bruno’s boxing. All 48k spectrum classics

Drac

All of them good not crap.

SaxonRider
    twonks

Think people are getting mixed up with ‘crap’ looking games by todays standards and crap games 😆

The flip side to this thread title has gems like Uridium, Paradroid, Sanxion, Monty on the run, Crazy Comets, Gribblys day out, Loco, Hyper sports, Boulderdash.

Yes I was a C64 fan boi 😆

kayla1
    Free Member

Wizball on the spectrum was an abomination compared to the C64 version, yet I loved it on the odd occasion it would load off the C90 full of other stuff 😆

I’m quite into Donkey Kong on the NES (emulator) at the minute 😳

andytherocketeer

Dizzy, Chuckie Egg and Gauntlet weren’t pants.

Roland on the Ropes etc. were (and annoying music too iirc). That got played quite a lot, but mainly because it was one of the many games that came free with the CPC464. I don’t recall the other games, but they were even worse, but didn’t get played.

Drac

I don’t recall the other games, but they were even worse, but didn’t get played.

Harrier Attack.

Some wired mummy thing

Roland in the Caves

And some others.

andytherocketeer

I vaguely recall one being 3D FPV. 3D maze type thing. Step forward one square then wait 2 seconds for the screen to re-render with a handful of flat-filled polygons.

Drac

andytherocketeer

Sultan’s Maze

edit: just for clarity, that was a pants game I didn’t like.

Northwind

n0b0dy0ftheg0at – Member

Chaos for the Spectrum, wizard and a random set of speels, to try and create real or illusion creatures to defeat other wizards (up to 8 AI or human wizards).

Nothing crap about Chaos! Actually still plays well today. we used to spend hours on it, making up our versions, setting up massive Gooey Blob vs Fire contests and that… Ace.

TBH a lot of these weren’t crap, they were just old, it’s like Citizen Kane’s crap because it’s not in IMAX.

Modern crap games… I’ve been playing a fair amount of Mordheim, it’s pretty ropey- some outright broken game mechanics, inconsistent AI, orrible unuserfriendly menus and that, repetitive, and incredibly slow to play… But somehow it works, the core idea is good enough. It’s maybe a 6/10 game but I’m loving it.

finbar
    Free Member

Rise of the Triad on PC (generic Wolfenstein/Doom-esque FPS).

I also spent months playing Quaratine (post-apocalyptic taxi simulator) – I’m not sure if that counts as rubbish or not though.

Drac

Rise of the Triads was great silly fun.

Quarantine was Ok.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Another C64 turkey – The Last V8

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qouXznJYDJA[/video]

There were a few C64 games that you would tolerate being crap because they had a cool soundtrack. I think this was one of those.

It had a bit of digitised speech in it which, at the time, had a bit of a wow factor.

allthegear
    Free Member

I actually played ET on a friends Atari 2600 way back when. Now that was a crap computer game, even for the time…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E.T._the_Extra-Terrestrial_%28video_game%29

Rachel

phiiiiil

+ Roland on the Ropes and (I think) Roland in Space. Many hours wasted there. Best bit was that the Roland character was totally different in each game with no reference to any of the others!

I loved Roland In Time; I still have the music stuck in my head every now and then even now. I never realised there were others, however!

I’m torn between trying to work out how I can play them again or just leaving them as happy memories instead of the aged, shonky disappointments they will inevitably turn out to be…

andytherocketeer

Not sure about the Amsoft games, but there are certainly a number of other Amstrad (and other platforms, since they weren’t platform exclusive back then) games available online.

Played Dizzy a while back, and it was exactly as I remember. Be surprised if Chuckie Egg was not playable somewhere.

Must remember to fish out the Amstrad from the parents’ loft sometime. Must be worth a tenner on ebay.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Be surprised if Chuckie Egg was not playable somewhere.

http://www.simplyeighties.com/chuckie-egg.php#.VwuYQfkrLct

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘crap computer games you actually liked.’ is closed to new replies.