Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Crack or scratch??
  • renton
    Free Member

Just been cleaning my bike down and giving it a polish and found this. Right across the weld on the head tube.

What do we reckon crack or scratch??

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

crack

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

wait i mean scratch

transporter13
    Free Member

Purely based on the mark ending at each side of the weld I’d hazard a guess at it being a crack

renton
    Free Member

I’ve tried to zoom in a bit …..

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Hair?

But only real way to tell is to sand it down…

doomanic

Scratch. A crack would follow the line of the weld not cross it like that.

b230ftw
    Free Member

I’m thinking scratch. Weird place for a crack and being as it appears to be the bit “sticking out” the most it’s likely to be a scratch, maybe caught in a thorny branch or something?

thols2

That was my first reaction too. However, if it was me, I’d chip the paint off to get a better look. I know two guys who snapped headtubes off bikes, really not a fun thing to do.

Klunk
    Free Member

could try some kind of liquid penetrant testing a drop of say white spirit or wd.

zezaskar
    Free Member

I know, silly, but looks like a hair to me

renton
    Free Member

I did think hair to start with too but you can’t feel it when you scratch a nail over it.

It’s possible it could have got scratched but the area is kind of protected by the brake and gear cable as they come round the frame.

singlespeedstu

Sticker.

jaketurbo
    Free Member

Aluminium does not crack like that, especially over a weld.

At worst it is a crack in the paint that likely occurred when it was curing.

endomick
    Free Member

I had something very similar, uses a little piece of 1200 grit wet n dry followed by t-cut, totally disappeared, twas but a scratch.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Admiral Ackbar wants a word.

jkomo

Hairy crack

funkmasterp

Definitely a pube under the lacquer

hairyscary

There is another mark that can be seen in the bottom pic and if you look closely the top two.
    1/3 of the way up the last pic on the left side where the green is a lighter shade. The crack forms an arrow head at the weld.

I’ve had similar ‘cracks’ to this on a bike that I had warrantied. I subsequently found out that the frame was ridden hard for another few years with no issues.

I’m going with paint cracking…….or pube.

renton
    Free Member

Cheers all.

Do you think it’s worth pinging the pics to Whyte or just live with it ?

NormalMan

Depends on how confident you feel imho.

For me, I’d email the pics just for peace of mind.

Daffy

Crack. Started precisely at the junction between the weld and the tube on the left and has propagated across the weld and into the tube on the right.

Not necessarily . From its start point it would follow the shortest and weakest path between two points following the crystaline microstructure of the material and the strain direction of the load. Commonly in bikes this will follow the edge of the weld between the tubes, but in orthogonal tubes and dependent upon the load and strength of the weld, it can cut across.

Wally

I see this – but I am -7, very colour blind and my eyes are tired.

stevextc
    Free Member

I see almost the same as Wally … except looks like 2 scratches to me…

konanige

Yep I’m with Wally!

damascus
    Free Member

Are you the original owner?

Is it still in warranty?

If you answer no to any of those then save your time and sand it and show us what you find. If its a scratch, just order some touch up paint from whytes website.

Keep the sanding to a minimum

renton
    Free Member

I’m the original owner and the bike was new in November and has covered 350 miles.

whatgoesup

Can you get a really close look at it (microscrope / magnifying glass / jewellers loupe or macro lens)?

A crack will appear quite different up close than a scratch.

Given it’s under warranty I’m guessing you don’t want to start sanding paint off?

wheelsonfire1

Take it back to where you bought it from. Whyte are usually very good.

stevedoc
    Free Member

I think it would be more than fair to remove the listing before checking its not a crack “Whyte e150 emtb (Heavily upgraded) enduro MTB
    £4,850”

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

If it’s still under warranty, I would take it back and let the mfg have a look. Or a dye pen test kit would give you a better idea.

renton
    Free Member

Good point. Removed.

I’ve contacted Whyte so will see what they say.

MrPottatoHead

I think the problem is cleaning it. I never clean my bike, and I’ve never found a cracked frame.

Can you drop the forks out and inspect it from the inside without paint?

renton
    Free Member

Can you drop the forks out and inspect it from the inside without paint?

Not a bad idea. Will have a look tonight.

damascus
    Free Member

I’m the original owner and the bike was new in November and has covered 350 miles.

I think it would be more than fair to remove the listing before checking its not a crack “Whyte e150 emtb (Heavily upgraded) enduro MTB

£4,850”

@renton
    , sorry for the thread hijack but what’s wrong with this one? Why are you selling it?

renton
    Free Member

@damascus if I’m perfectly honest there is nothing wrong with the bike at all.

I just feel like getting something with more rear travel and a bit plusher.

dyna-ti

It looks more like a scratch. On your close up the mark tails off. Its quite sharply defined to begin with then gets smaller and thinner in a kind of sweeping motion.

damascus
    Free Member

@renton, What did whyte say?

renton
    Free Member

@damascus.

Whyte cane back content it was just a scratch and said nothing to worry about which was a relief.

zerocool

@funkmasterp it’s not a Lahar. Lol

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Crack or scratch??’ is closed to new replies.