• This topic has 71 replies, 47 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by jimmy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Cover versions – the weirder the better – what have you got?
  • tjagain

That ~Reggae thread got me thinking about my love of odd cover versions of songs. reggae singers have a poor track record of this – too many folk wanting to sing a reggae song but not enough folk writing them. Have we done this before?

anyway – a couple of my faves but please post up some. the odder the better. I need more for my collection

to kick off

Is that bagpipes?

tjagain

Drac

cdoc
    Free Member

sweepy
    Free Member

A couple from Taggy matcher, Can’t compete with that Autobahn for weird tho 🙂

cdoc
    Free Member

batfink
    Free Member

kelvin

The whole of Has Been is brilliant. What an album! No joke.

binners

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I’m thinking the whole catalogue of Nouvelle Vague

Stereolab’s ‘Iron Man’ is pretty far off too.

Cougar

fubar
    Free Member

Teenage Fanclub – Like A Virgin

(recorded on the album The King)

theotherjonv

Too many to mention – look for NME Ruby Trax on youtube and get lost in wonderment.

But as a well regarded band on here, for starters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSy2Rc3KPJ4

tjagain

Nouvelle Vague are brilliant

Riksbar
    paladin

Peat and diesele

Not really a cover i suppose tho

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    tjagain

Fiddlesticks. I thought it had been done but I couldn’t find the thread.

That arctic monkeys one is brilliant

spot
    Free Member

You wanted odd

Beatle barkers

swedishmetal
    Free Member

Not too weird but my favourite.

tjagain

Sweedish metal – I’d hate to know what you think is weird! thats properly odd.

submarined
    Free Member

Came here to post China Drum, beaten to it. Amazing track.

They did this as well

Ah, fond memories of the Tunbridge Wells Forum, circa 1998.

Also, anything by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, basically.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Magma’s ‘De Futura’ by The Flying Luttenbachers

Also Ex-Girl’s sublime cover ‘Pop Muzik. I love the original but those divinely weird cats somehow scratched it all up into poperatic perfection!

misteralz
    Free Member

Ali Spagnola on YouTube does all sorts of covers in the style of different bands and singers. Her doing Mumford and Sons covering Truth Hurts by Lizzo is especially good, but it’s all worth a watch.

jca

Not strictly cover versions, but The Bar-Steward Sons of Val Doonican (Barnsley’s answer to Weird Al Yankovich) have plenty to choose from….The Place of Spades is a good starting point…

The Place of Spades

Twodogs
    mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

ratherbeintobago

That acoustic version of Loveless?

DezB
    Free Member

There are 3 covers on this old album, and they all just err on the side of rubbish. Keyboard playing just about saves this

Jah Division’s stuff maybe isn’t quite covers, but they come up with some nice dubs based on JD songs

vinnyeh

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

There was a time when Elvis sang reggae in a Led Zep style

Also a supremely polyester-rug-cutting version of ‘Wonderwall’. I bought this on cassette! Could never stand that Britpop Beatles Mantomime Bros whiny and pale version, whereas this cover-version built enough static in my lounge-carpet that an emerging ‘Maglev Slide’ dance craze was summarily squashed by local Authorities/irate neighbour.

footflaps

I actually prefer this to the original…

failedengineer

Oops I did it again – Richard Thompson

jimdubleyou

Just by nature of the guy’s voice, the Placebo Covers album is both brilliant and a bit odd…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KEEXyRL0qE&list=PLdugtpf4nXUtIMN11S1Fpx4Yl3wuuRt6t&index=1

Anything by Richard Cheese makes me giggle, Killing in the Name of is the winner though…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLAbAp5tbU0

eddiebaby
    Free Member

eddiebaby
    Free Member

tjagain

As for weird covers you prefer to the original? Smoke on the water – the great Senor Coconut again. Is that a glockenspiel instead of a guitar I hear? the key is actually being a good musicians I think. This is why Nouvelle Vague and Richard Cheese both work so well

eddiebaby
    Free Member

tjagain

WTF was Shatner thinking? I guess because his old version of Rocket Man was received so well he thought – why not? I have just found loads of odd covers by Shatner but this performance is well worth watching. “And I’m gonna be hiiiiiiiiiiiiigh as a kite by then” ” its a rocket, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan”

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Cover versions – the weirder the better – what have you got?’ is closed to new replies.