Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Cove Hummer – good news for once!
  • somafunk

Bump for hankscorpio1976 , send me an email on my address in profile – I’ve spoke to Don @ Lynskey and he’s going to send over a couple of shims for us and i need to know what Internal Diameter of shim you want, whether that be the standard 30mm or 30.9mm for dropper seatpost compatibility.

I think i will go for an Internal dia of 27.2 on his advice as it strengthen the area greatly and will be a far comfier ride due to more compliant smaller seatpost, and with Thompson bringing out a 27.2 dropper seatpost next year i will have the chance to retrofit one if i so wish, i have a Thompson Elite 30mm at the moment but i don’t mind selling that and buying another Thomson Elite post in 27.2.

Let me know what you want i’ll get in touch wi him.

Cheers,

hankscorpio1976
    Free Member

Hi somafunk, that’s great they offered to send a shim to us. If Lynskey recommend 27.2 I’ll take that option too. Did they give any advice on removing the shim? If not it would be good to know how the shim has been bonded to the frame, as I had a post stuck in my stiffee, not sure if it naturally stuck in the frame or some pr1ck glued it! It was seriously stuck, it wouldn’t budge! We had to chisel the thing out in the end. Aboslute nightmare!!!! I’ll email you tomorrow.

Cheer

RustyMac

This type of thing is why I use STW so much, top work somafunk.

somafunk

No worries Hank, i’ll fire an email off to Don wi your preference of 27.2mm and we’ll take it from there, send me your details by email and i’ll get it in the post to you when it arrives, if we need to bond them in wi a Loctite retaining compound such as 601 or 603 i’ll include a bottle of that as well as i’ve got a selection of the stuff in my workshop – i’ll also find out the best way of removing the existing shim – i still think the freezing spray (shock/unlock spray) trick will work as that should contract the soft alloy shim and release it from the frame but i’ll take advice from Don and let you know.

hankscorpio1976
    Free Member

Really appreciate this mate, you’ll have to let me know your address and I will send some money up or a bottle of red 😉

somafunk

Nah…..don’t be daft. I’ve had near enough 10yrs of help/advice/odd free widgits n’ bolts or bit’s n’ bobs etc from folk on this forum and that’s why i still use it despite the few knob-ends that raise their heads from time to time – what goes around comes around in my book so do someone else a favour at somepoint. It’s only going to cost me a few pence for postage of a shim so don’t worry bout it.

🙂

somafunk

The shims have arrived from Don @ Lynskey and i have to say it’s a crying shame to hide such a shiny thing of beauty inside my seattube where no-one will see it, machined and milled from a solid chunk of alloy by the looks of them and in 27.2mm internal diameter so we can run a smaller dia seatpost for comfort and if we so desire, we have the option of the new 27.2mm Thomson dropper post that will be coming out this summer 😀 .

A big thumbs up for Don Erwin @ Lynskey USA, customer service at it’s best, he dealt wi my questioning emails and offered to supply and machine the shims to whatever size i desired and post them to me free of charge, even Obama is impressed wi that level of service

Hankscorpio1976 : I’m away all weekend but when i get back home on monday i’ll get it in the post to you, i think the freezing spray is the way to go for removal but i’m going to buy a new seatpost beforehand (either thomson masterpiece or a TI post – depending on funds) and possibly make sure i have access to a suitable reamer just in case there is residue in the seattube.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Cove Hummer – good news for once!’ is closed to new replies.