• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Courier query
  • egb81
    Free Member

I’m about to dip my toes into the murky world of ebay selling to clear a load of stuff from my house. Getting to the post office is a ball ache so does anyone have a preferred, cost effective courier they use? Hermes seem cheap but with the caveat that the poor delivery people are bearing the brunt of the cost savings.

stevied
    Free Member

Never had a problem with MH personally. Probably only sent about 20 things with them but all arrived on time and in 1 piece.

somouk
    Free Member

I use Collect+ just set the orders up and attach labels then drop at the local shop at your convenience.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve used hermes a lot and it’s always been good.

jam-bo

use gumtree and sell it locally?

egb81
    Free Member

use gumtree and sell it locally?

Every time I use gumtree I end up with 95% of inquiries string me along for a few emails then saying “can you post it to Malaysia?” or “I can offer you 50% less than the asking price.” Both get short shrift for wasting my time.

thenorthwind

I have an InPost locker on my route to work – it’s an automated locker for dropping off the parcel. Book it in on there site, or via Parcel2Go, etc. (may be cheaper). It’s quick and convenient because it’s open 24hrs and no dealing with corner shop drop-offs (I’ve had experiences of ‘can’t drop it off because the boss isn’t here’ and such-like).

Never had any problems. Price usually comparable to MH.

Edit: +1 for at least trying Gumtree first – nothing to lose except time

Edit edit: Fair point. I usually have more success than that, but you do get the odd timewaster. Usually obvious from the off, just ignore them

dooosuk
    Free Member

No issues with Hermes here and sent 50 odd parcels I reckon.

Depending on size/weight, some things are cheaper via Royal Mail but for ease Hermes is great. Link your eBay account and it will automatically pull in your sales and the addresses.

Note for eBay…add 10% on to the postage costs as eBay take their cut from this as well.

egb81
    Free Member

Hermes is great. Link your eBay account and it will automatically pull in your sales and the addresses.

That’s useful to know. I can suck up a few quid difference just for the ease of not having to race home from work only to find the post office has inexplicably closed early. I forgot about ebay sellers changes.

Northwind

I use Hermes a lot, just had a look and apparently I’m up to 800 parcels. Of that lot I’ve had a couple lost but got full, quick refunds. It’s easy with ebay as they can see the sale value (and the import tool is handy too, does all the addressing etc, everything bar the weight). (I did have them refuse one claim, which was definitely mishandling of an item but turned out, it was one I shouldn’t have posted by hermes. Not delighted but can only really blame myself)

They do seem to be kind of shit employers, not a fan of that but same seems to be true of most couriers these days (small sample but the hermes guys I deal with are way happier and more dedicated than most couriers, and one guy is ex-DHL and prefers working for hermes… Though, you never know, maybe that’s becasue he likes kicking parcels or something)

properbikeco
    Free Member

hermes good for me

for larger items (fishing rods) I use parcel2go and usually pick UPS

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

We don’t send anything by Hermes but the Mrs gets stuff from Next & they use them, a local bloke delivers & he’s spot on. He knows where to hide stuff if wer’e not in, never had a problem.

kcal

Ah, I’ve been clearing a lot of stuff out of my folks’ house.

To be honest most of it has gone eBay and PO – not much in cot, PO is close by, whereas the MH drop-off is quite far. I have had stuff collected by MH and our local guy is great (my old bank manager…)

Sometimes it is Collect+ for variety or because I wasn’t sure about items / width.

Gumtree can be OK – had some really nice buyers – but get folk putting first dibs and then just not turning up and not telling you, it’s a world of pain sometimes..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Courier query’ is closed to new replies.