Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Count Arthur Strong – he's on the telly you know……
  • RustySpanner

I hope it’s good 🙂

Love the ratio, er radio pogrom, I mean programme, so hoping for great things from the maestro.

I know he’s gettting on a bit now, but can anyone forget his wonderful performances in Bridge Up The River Kwai or Piddler on the Roof?

Steve Delany has got Graham Linehan in as a co writer for the TV Show, so it’s got a decent chance.

I hope Jack puts it on the google, er goggle blocks, I mean grog box, oh you know what I mean, in the Shoulder Of Mutton;
    the series is set in London apparantly – will Arthur go all la di da, or retain his natural sense of modesty and shy, retiring nature.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I think he might have been on telly before. Or at least there was a character on telly that seemed very similar to the radio one.
    Ah yeah youtube to the rescue.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwJzgJd5KhU[/video]

Pigface
    Free Member

I have tried to like CAS but I just don’t find any of it funny. Actually I can’t stand the character, I may be in a minority but it is just pants.

Shackleton

No, not alone Pigface. I feel like demanding a bit of my license fee back every time I hear it. A truly awful, unfunny program in my opinion! But everybody is different…….

uphillcursing
    Free Member

More likely to make me turn off Radio 4 than Women’s Hour.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Can’t stand him on the radio, won’t be watching.

wwaswas

Love the radio show, will be watching him on the telly.

stw in ‘not all comedy appeals to everyone’ shocker! 😉

unklehomered
    Free Member

Fantastic news! I don’t watch TV, best place for him…

tops5
    Free Member

Love the radio show – but concerned it wont translate well to TV

allthepies
    Free Member

Not funny IMO.

br
    Free Member

I’d be in the car commuting home and would think, at least I’ve the comedy at 6:30pm – and then CAS would come on…

wingnuts

Not keen on the radio show but it might work better on the box in a pained David Brent sort of way.

chiefgrooveguru

I think the second, first and third series (in that order) of Count Arthur Strong’s Radio Show were some of the funniest things ever recorded for radio. Since then it’s felt like he’s run out of ideas, although I went to a radio recording of the last series and it was hilarious in person even though I didn’t then enjoy it on the radio – curious… I’m concerned that the TV show may head in a less intelligent and more clichéd direction, like the later radio programmes.

Some of his monologues in the earlier episodes were comic genius – the beta blockers / odour eaters one, the charity collection one, the eleven? wives of Henry VIII one, etc. And the episode about Just-A-Minute and his attempt to do a radio play were near perfect. I tried to listen to something from series six in the car a couple of weeks ago and had to turn it off in disappointment – it’s like if they’d made two brilliant series of Fawlty Towers and then five progressively more clichéd and mediocre series…

RustySpanner

😀

He does elicit a mixed reaction, doesn’t he?

I love listening to the bafflement displayed some of the contributors to ‘Feedback’ about his show.
    Strange, when you consider he’s basically just a slightly more confused, Northern, Ed Reardon.

‘The Castle’ has pretty much the same effect on me – I can see the joke, but it’s just all a bit weak and repetitive.

Ah well, each to their own.

How about a TV series of ‘Fags, Mags & Bags?’
    Now that’s got potential, in an ‘Open all Hours’ kind of way, but I’m scared that it’s be ruined forever. 😐

Oh,my favourite recent episode of Arthur’s has to be the camping trip/Pub/Boat one.
    Genius.

wingnuts

Rusty… Fags, mags is perfect radio and shouldn’t go to the box.

tops5
    Free Member

What Wingnuts said

Speeder

I remember him from his appearances on Mark & Lard – I’m sure someone will think he’s funny.

chiefgrooveguru

He’s on Radcliffe & Maconie’s 6music show this week! I remain hopeful, I’ve listened to those early series literally dozens of time…

mt
    Free Member

Really found it not funny at start of first series but was won round and at time found some of it eye wateringly funny. Do agree that the later stuff has not been as good.

Perhaps they should get Ed Reardon to write for him.

What ever happened to Clair in the Community?

wwaswas

What ever happened to Clair in the Community?

Harry Venning is still writing stuff, his most recent tweet on the subject;

Edinburgh Clare script going well. Ten of the best minutes of material ever to be stretched over half an hour.

z1ppy

I tried and tried to find the radio show funny, but simply can’t do it. I think R4 has some really good comedy but not CAS. Luckily were all different and it’ll entertain some ppl (just like soaps do).

Junkyard
    Free Member

Do not rate it at all personally

Been a long time since radio 4 did a proper funny one that made the break through to tv

Mitchell and webb are the last I recall
    Still IASIDHAC was back yesterday so all is well with the world.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Count Arthur Strong – he’s on the telly you know……

if it’s keeping him off the radio, good.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I love the 6:30 Wednesday night comedy slot but not with this fella. 😕
    Cabin Pressure was good IMHO.
    The Castle wasn’t too bad either.

Cougar

CAS is an odd one for me. I think I get the joke, and it occasionally raises a smile, but at best it’s “mildly amusing” rather than riotously funny for me. Though TBH I feel like that about a lot of the R4 sit-coms.

Cabin Pressure however, now that’s funny. Well worth tracking down.

neilthewheel

“It’s all lit up like a Christmas conker!” 😀 That’s entered the language in our house.
    Mondays is good at the moment: “Bleak Expectations” at 11.30am and ISIHAC at 6.30.
    The Castle, though – pretty poor fare.

Pigface
    Free Member

Down the line is great have just about weed myself listening to some of that, Sorry IHAC is brilliant as well.

convert

To turn on the 6.30 comedy only to discover that it’s CAS has always been a disappointment for me. Its like one vaguely amusing novelty sketch stretched out over an entire series. Seem to be finding that slot increasingly patchy if I’m honest.

Edric64
    Free Member

Another one I have not heard of .like a lot of the music mentioned on here .God im getting old

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Count Arthur Strong – he's on the telly you know……’ is closed to new replies.