Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Cotic Soul re-build thread
  • Ben_H

I decided earlier this year to refurbish my existing bike, rather than buy a new frame. What with this summer’s good weather, I didn’t get around to it until a few weeks ago – and here’s the result…

Bike before (earlier pic is with DT forks):

Decals sourced:

Headbadge from Geoff Moorhouse, on right (first cast of a smaller size, following feedback from others that the last one was too big):

Back from Argos, who were first choice due to being close to where I live:

Fitting the headcups with an eBay-sourced £4 tool – worked fine:

The finished article:

White is hardly original, but it’s a non-Cotic colour, tough and looks ace in the flesh – a lot better than my lousy camera shows.

Current build is as a winter singlespeed, weighing just under 22lb. Adding XT/R gears takes it to just over 24lb. Forks are 2010 Fox 32 RLCs, but bought in 2013 and now wearing 2012/13 decals. 😉

If nothing else, I hope it inspires a few more custom builds because it’s really great to own a bike that you know is a one off!

Mackem

That’s pretty smart. Good job.

metalheart
    Free Member

Nice! The former bike in negative.

I was looking for a thumbs up emoticon but there ain’t one. Sorry 😀

el-Gato-Negro
    Free Member

Mmmmmm Nice!

Northwind

That is lovely.

vorlich
    Free Member

Nice. And a bit different too. I love the wrap decals on the Cotics, but I really wish they’d change that head badge.

OCD Vorlich wants to know what you were playing at with rear tyre/rim alignment though 😉

joeelston
    Free Member

Looks really really good 🙂

chiefgrooveguru

Very nice indeed! What’s the chain tensioner and how well does it work? (Looking to singlespeed my Soul in the imminent future…)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

very nice, but your chain needs a half link or another link taking out.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

stunning.

aidanoggy
    Free Member

Lovely!!!! Looks so good in white.

fathomer

Really nice, I’ve always thought that if I had mine redone, white would most definitely be a consideration.

sv

Very, very nice – enjoy.

tom199
    Free Member

Very nice. Where did you get your dt Swiss decals from?

chives
    Free Member

Looks the business – not that I’m in anyway biased towards a Soul in white.. 😆

Ben_H

Thanks chaps.

I do indeed need to take a link out of the chain – I haven’t actually ridden the bike yet! It’s a SRAM singlespeed specific chain with DX 18T cog and Hope 32T chainwheel, which I bought after having trouble with a 16T cog (too high a gear) and a 10 speed chain (duh). The tensioner is an On One Doofer, although I may change to something nicer if this setup works better.

The OCD-curious will note that the type name alignment is wrong – but for those with mega OCD, you’ll also note that the tyres are running opposite direction to one another (hence difference of “Continental” and “Protection”), plus the front rim was put on the opposite side to the rear when the wheels were build (meaning you can’t align the yellow valve caps!).

righog
    Free Member

That sir is a thing of beauty.

dannyh
    Free Member

Very nice, well done.

I’d always thought of advocaat yellow as a potential respray colour, but that white looks the business.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Also, get rid of that chainstay protector!

boxfish
    Free Member

Lovely looking Soul. Agree about the head badge though. I used to ride a Soda and never liked the badge – probably something to do with the fact that it was stuck on wonky!

cardo

Really like that … Looks lovely in White. Where did you get the head badge from please ?

Ben_H

Headbadge link:

http://www.heavygoods.org.uk/Headbadge.htm

Really nice guy to deal with.

Ben_H

DT Swiss rim decals can be ordered from any DT Swiss stockist – but are expensive at £4.99 each.

I used my LBS to order them, but have previously used Petra Cycles online.

misterlee
    Free Member

totally stunning. I love it. I disagree with some about Cotics head badge though. love the look of it on my Soul. but mine is orange

Northwind

Hate to say it but I think the original head tube might have looked better- the black would give it some more contrasts.

PS, if you want to see a Cotic head badge looking bad, you really have to see it on a white mk2 Hemlock, lost against the coke can. Urgh.

threeek
    Free Member

That looks great – I really like it. Very tastefully done.

Can I ask please; how much does a paint-job come in at, and where did you source the decals from?

My Soul is 3 years old and you’ve given me something to think about.

tom199
    Free Member

Ok thanks for the heads up. Is that £5 per rim or per decal? Seeing as there are 4 per rim that would seem a little steep!

Ben_H

They are, unfortunately, £5 per decal (or £20 per rim)! The front rim is an older XR 4.2, bought at a reduced price but identical to the XR400 and now wearing XR400 decals. 🙂

The Argos Racing Cycles re-paint came in at £190. That’s more expensive than a powder coat, but the quality is very good and that includes: basic paint job (£135), upcharge for 2 pack paint (£10), remove / refit bottom bracket (£10), affix custom head badge (£10) and apply / lacquer decals (£25). I couldn’t fit a powder coater who would apply the decals.

Cotic sell decals (wrap, Soul x 2 and 853 sticker) and headbadge for £25. I also sourced an 853 “main tubes” decal direct from Reynolds (£4), because the Cotic-supplied one incorrectly states that the “main tube” is butted, rather than plural main tubes – I guess it applies to the Solaris.

MoreCashThanDash

That is stunning. Funnily enough, I have an aging Mk1 black Soul that I can’t bear to part with and a desire to strip and rebuild it…..

threeek
    Free Member

Thanks very much for the extra info Ben.

mobes
    Free Member

That’s gorgeous!

I’m going to singlespeed my Soul in the very near future

matther01
    Free Member

Very nice…its like a brand new bike.

dc11
    Free Member

Very nice indeed. Welcome to the family…

chives
    Free Member

Very nice Ben, here’s mine when it was single speed (now 2×10). Have to say I prefer the old Cotic downtube decal.

[/url]
    DSCF3198 [/img]

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Soul re-build thread’ is closed to new replies.