Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Cotic Soul….. Now I understand !
  • 1981miked
    Free Member

Don’t think… Just do..

I’m currently building my 3rd Soul, had to sell the first due to needing dosh.. Built another when I had cash, selling it to my brother and building the new updated frame.

Without question the best bike I have ever had!

metalheart
    Free Member

There seems to be a singular lack of black on this thread…

Been through many guises, must rank as one of the oldest bike (well frame) I’ve had…. 😳

amedias
    Free Member

love my simple and my soul, don’t think I’ll be getting rid any time soon!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Not worth nearly ten grand in my opinion….. http://shop.18bikes.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b4s443p725&rs=gb

yunki
    Free Member

ooh.. are we doing pics now..?
    If you insist..! 😀

Cy says 100mm rocks and he made it

here’s mine with a 100mm suspension corrected (445mm a-c) exotic carbon fork

It does indeed rock.. and this evening I rekindled my love of flying sideways down loose sinuous Dartmoor descents, and then looking for the more technical lines on the climb back up instead of the easiest..

amedias
    Free Member

I tend to agree, have tried mine with 140, 130, 120, 115, 100, and 80 (and zero of course) travel forks and ~100 is where it’s at, I know a lot of people are running longer forks on theirs but 100 – 110 seems to be the sweet spot, for me at least!

mattjg
    Free Member

I’m at 120mm … so I really should try 100? It’s going to make that much difference? (Would I even notice … rooty XC and ST).

ononeorange

Worth every penny of ten grand…..!!

Another Simple Soul owner here (see what I did there?). Love them both. The forks on my Soul are getting really rattly and nasty but I just don’t want to be without it for a weekend (they really need sending off).

Can’t do pics but one’s black (all scraped and battered from use) and one’s orange.

I am 29er curious enough to say that I’d like to try a Solaris once just to see how different they are, but that’s all.

PS 115 on my (U-turn) forks is about right. 130 for when it gets bigger downhill.

Klunk
    Free Member

overrated pile of poo! nothing but 5 yrs of misery 🙂

tomd
    Free Member

has anyone ridden a soul and genesis altitude / latitude? I’ve been told they’re similar and I have one, but while it’s a good bike I don’t seem to love it in the same way as you guys love these souls. Is it me or the bike?

FOG

Sorry to join in on this self-congratulatory thread but I have just built a new Soul and have ridden it about 4 times up to press and am like all the contributors in love with it. I have written several times on here about being disatisfied with the 456 that preceded it mainly due to a Soul test ride. Bike shops and manufacturers need to be more aware just how important test rides are in influencing peoples decisions. Previously I thought how much better can a steel HT be than another steel HT but after a test ride I knew I had to have a Soul. Took a year but I am a happy man.
    One thing that surprised me was that the 140mm Rev fork from the 456 seems to work better on the Soul, far less wandery on a climb even though 120mm is quoted as the ideal.

fathomer

Here’s mine with 120mm Rebas, I keep thinking about full sussers as I’ve never owned one and the Soul is my only bike, but then I ride it and all the thoughts dissaper as it just so much fun!

wisepranker
    Free Member

I’ve not used my Soul much as it was bought and built up as a single speed winter bike but if it’s half as much fun as my BFe, it’s going to be fantastic!

anklebiter101
    Free Member

I built mine up 2 years ago running a 120mm Fox Float RL and I find it spot on. It’s my only bike and to be honest, I’ve never found myself in a situation where I’ve felt under-biked. In all honesty, my skills get out of depth way before the bike ever will.
    I would post a pic to continue the joy, but I’m new here and I’ve not quite sussed that bit out yet…. 😳

catvet
    Free Member

Got 2 oldish Souls, 16 inch version for mrs, 17.5 ” version for me running fox 120mm 70 mm stem up front Stans Crest tubeless 9 speed 2.25 f 2.4 r tyres and still only weighs 23.5 lbs as lightweight single track woods bike.
    Puts a smile on anyone’s face that rides it, such a cheeky bike!!

Scapegoat

I’ve made my mind up. If the one I’m negotiating for second hand falls through, I ‘ll order a new one. It’s gonna have Reba 120s on it.

IdleJon

tomd – Member
    has anyone ridden a soul and genesis altitude / latitude? I’ve been told they’re similar and I have one, but while it’s a good bike I don’t seem to love it in the same way as you guys love these souls. Is it me or the bike?

Good question. I’ve got an Altitude and think it’s possibly the best bike I’ve owned. I prefer riding it to my FS despite the FS being very good. I’d be interested in a comparison between the Soul and the Genesis as well.

grievoustim
    Free Member

Still in love with my custard soul – had it a good few years now

Yesterday I swapped the 100mm Maguras which have been on there a while for some 120mm bolt through SIDS, will be interesting to see how the ride is affected when I ride it tomorrow night

matther01
    Free Member

Just a couple more pay cheques and I’ll be in the club…well in theory. I’ll have all the parts and then have to figure out how to put it all together…I was rather good at mecano as a kind tho.

tuffty
    Free Member

To be honest I didn’t get it either till I finished building mine and took it for it’s first outing. Stunning to ride and I think they are stunning to look at 😀

righog
    Free Member

Here is mine running 120’s. Built it for local trails so no faffing with camelbak etc. Since building it I have not wanted to ride my Five.

Scapegoat

I’m convinced. I pulled the trigger with CY today, and my frame lands on Friday. Reba 120s, SLX 2×9 etc etc. 8)

Vortexracing

you won’t be dissapointed

Ben_H

I bought a Soul in early 2010 direct from Cotic – it’s a black one, running XTR / XT, Hope & DT wheels, Thomson finishing and DT XMC forks. It’s a lovely bike and I just wish I had some photos to show!

I later swapped my road bike for a black Cotic X earlier this year – I just couldn’t be doing without discs on my daily commute. Again, it’s a great bike – with a bastardised Tiagra / SLX transmission, XT disc hubs and Avid brakes setup.

Flying the flag for black Cotics!

bol

Black? Pah. An orange X joined my orange Solaris today. Actually, I think you can have too much of a good colour – black would have been my choice too if the deal hadn’t been so good.

misterlee
    Free Member

i’m running my soul on 100mm tora’s.
    i love it

tomd
    Free Member

Good question. I’ve got an Altitude and think it’s possibly the best bike I’ve owned. I prefer riding it to my FS despite the FS being very good. I’d be interested in a comparison between the Soul and the Genesis as well.

Don’t get me wrong, I like my Altitude and I’ve used it for all sorts of riding. However, when I get going on the full sus it’s just a lot more fun for me. If I take a corner or rough section too hard on the FS I end up laughing with joy. On the Altitude I end up in the ditch. The Altitude is great for week day rides and just getting out riding because it costs half as much as the FS.

Frankers
    Free Member

My Soul is built up with 120 Maxle Rebas but has been sat in the garage unridden for the last 2 months since my new bike turned up 🙂

Also have a Turner Flux with 120mm Rebas too, also unloved at the mo

ononeorange

Scapegoat – well done. Pics tomorrow please!

swingbing
    Free Member

Scapegoat – You’ll not be dissapointed.

Went for my first proper night ride around Cannock last night. Awesome.

Definitely didn’t stop and take photos at any point 😐

purser_mark
    Free Member

Nice to see some more Brown (Espresso) bikes on this thread. Thought I had the only one!

Must try running a 120 or 100mm setup. Currently running a pair of Rev’s at 140mm with the intention of dropping them down in the first month of putting it together. 2 years on I’m still enjoying the pop off the front end and can handle the climbing not being top drawer.

Great bike, wish I had a bit more flowy single track to do it justice..!

Scapegoat

It’s here. It’s in the stand. The Cube has been stripped and the bits all cleaned. The bits and pieces I ordered to complete the build have failed to materialise, so no trick coloured gear cables or helicopter tape.

Bugger.

I’ve got the stuff I need to service the Rebas I bought the other day.

vorlich
    Free Member

My pride and joy. Brilliant bike.

anotherbike
    Free Member

vorlich:

What size chainings and chain device are you running and how are you getting on with them?

Also what tyres are they?

nmdbase
    Free Member

Lovely bikes the Souls, if I had gone with a small instead of medium it would have been a keeper for a long time I think.

rockhopperbike

Curious here,,,,,,

have a ’10 Orange Crush which I find great, really stable- only thing I struggle with is switchbacks- but not really an issue.

what’s the big step up with the soul compared to the crush, or 456 or other similar rigs?

is it one thing -such as the geometry or is compliance in the frame or what?

vorlich
    Free Member

What size chainings and chain device are you running and how are you getting on with them?

Blackspire Stinger which has been faultless, and 22/32.

Mud X on the rear super tacky high roller up front.

Both now replaced, Mud X was great but had worn down, decided I wanted more volume so went for Conti RQ, which I am reserving judgement on, and a Hans Dampf up front which I’ve been very impressed with.

amedias
    Free Member

is it one thing

not really, it’s more like a million little things that make a big difference overall.

Scapegoat

Managed to get a start after tea this evening. Half past ten saw the maiden voyage along the village and back again.

Scapegoat

11.3kg, 25lb without pedals. Feels really raked after the Cube, and I finally know what people mean about the feel of steel.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Soul….. Now I understand !’ is closed to new replies.