Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 157 total)
  • Correlation – The fancier the bike, the less skilled the rider?
  • kudos100
    Free Member

There will be exceptions (people who race etc) but do you think there is any truth in this?

The guys I know who are really good riders, ride half decent bikes, but nothing special. I have met and have ridden with loads of people who have super bling bikes, but can’t ride for toffee.

What is your experience of all the gear, no idea? A myth, or something you see on a regular basis?

tazzymtb

the niche chaps I know can all really handle bikes.

maybe true for the more expensive mainstream stuff as you can get a newbie with lots of money whole buy the top end stuff in a shop whereas to get custom niche you will usually have been riding for years to have decided what you want and how you want it to ride/handle.

sambob
    Free Member

Depends on who you ride with I guess. I’ve got a bike that works, but I’m a distinctly below average rider. Also know some people who have awesome bikes and are awesome riders, just because they ride lots.

redthunder
    Free Member

Depends if you drive an Audi 😉

Spin
    Free Member

Correlation? STW and sweeping generalisations? 😀

But yes all the gear and no idea is a feature of all sports. It’s a harmless pastime though.

There is also the partial inverse of ‘all the gear and no idea’ whereby everyone thinks you are some sort of trail god if you are on a hardtail / rigid / singlespeed or whatever.

scaredypants

I killed a bloke once for having a posh bike. buried the bike with him in the woods
    (hadn’t seen him ride; didn’t need to. I already knew he’d be shit)

neninja
    Free Member

I ride a pretty awesome bike but have very average skills. I sold my motorbike and invested the money in building my mountain bike.

I don’t see why anyone should worry about it. If they do it smacks of envy really.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Keeps the classifieds busy too 🙂

mchlptchr
    Free Member

I’ve wondered this myself but reckon it’s probably just that bad riding stands out more when it’s done on a bling bike.

timc
    Free Member

the fancier the bike, the more you notice jealous people 🙄

finbar
    Free Member

This is true, except when it isn’t.

adstick
    Free Member

I notice the inverse snobbery far more, especially on here. “I’m better because I have less bike” – It often isn’t the case…

hugor
    Free Member

I don’t get this obsession with class and wealth.
    Is it STW, UK culture, or the current economic crisis?

Perhaps those that can afford the greatest bikes are not necessarily the best riders because their professions occupy a much greater proportion of their lives.

I own 4 really nice bikes, and I’m sure they are better bikes than I am a rider. Who cares? In my precious free time I ride bikes and I throw alot of my disposable income at them. By contrast I don’t give a rats about cars so don’t fit the Audi cliche.

In the pic below is a bike worth about 3 times the value of the car moving it and its one of 4.
    If I really gave a toss about my image in general or on the trails I would drive a nice car too.
    I have lots of really nice bikes because I enjoy riding them not because I think I can match it with amazing riding skills.
    Why do people have a problem with this?

brooess
    Free Member

no truth in that at all. People who like to bang on about others’ being ATGANI are small-minded IMO. get over yourself and just ride yr bike. Why does it matter what anyone else ride and how good they are?

jameso

I killed a bloke once for having a posh bike. buried the bike with him in the woods

Just worth repeating for being funniest thing I’ve read on here in a while.. )

MoreCashThanDash

I’m pretty sure that everyone who knows me will argue that I am proof of your theory – however, a couple of them certainly disprove it.

fenred
    Free Member

Just worth repeating for being funniest thing I’ve read on here in a while.. )

I concur 😆

jameso

“I don’t get this obsession with class and wealth.
    Is it STW, UK culture, or the current economic crisis?”

Mainly the 2nd. I blame the Royals.

Revolution time..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Nope.

I ride like just as much of a tard on my rigid SS as on the Pitch.

singlespeedstu

What tazzy said.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Why do people have a problem with this?

I dont think people necessarily have a problem with it. Its just funny to see people on £4k super bikes bimbling along.

mattk
    Free Member

it can work the otherway too.

turn up to a group ride on a rigid ss and there is an expectation that you will be a good rider.

that can be embarrassing when, like me, your very average.

kudos100
    Free Member

STW handbags out again. Don’t get your knickers in a twist, I am mearly asking a question. If you have a bike dripping with high end shiny bits, good for you.

curvature
    Free Member

We all spend our money in different ways.

It is a hobby after all so why moan if someone wants to spend £4k on a bike but doesn’t ride for a pro team.

As Neninja said is it envy?

zangolin
    Free Member

brooess – Member
    no truth in that at all. People who like to bang on about others’ being ATGANI are small-minded IMO. get over yourself and just ride yr bike. Why does it matter what anyone else ride and how good they are?

Well put brooess – could not have put it better myself.
    Who gives a flying **** about what people ride, wear, look like, etc, etc.

Another one of the regular dumb posts about people not falling into line with the opinions of the small/narrow minded – so that means they must be either c**p, stupid, lazy, 2 much money, etc, etc.

kudos100 – Member
    STW handbags out again. Don’t get your knickers in a twist, I am mearly asking a question. If you have a bike dripping with high end shiny bits, good for you.

The point is the question does not need asking in the first place.

oldnick

You need to incorporate the percentage of disposable income spent on said bike I think.

My bikes are certainly nicer than I am, but they represent almost all of my GDP (Grudgingly Disposed Pennies).

Whilst I don’t know if that correlates to my riding ability, I reckon it shows that I have no idea how to manage my finances properly.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

turn up to a group ride on a rigid ss and there is an expectation that you will be a good rider.

+1

It get tiring after a while of turning up on the SS and “ohh, here comes a fit one”.

On the plus side its not so bad when you end up at the back or have to dismount on a decent.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It is a hobby after all so why moan if someone wants to spend £4k on a bike but doesn’t ride for a pro team.

Its to do with the whole image of the sport really. Cycling has a bit of a “cool” “hardcore” “underground” “edgy” image, especially mountain biking.

People spending extortionate amounts on very expensive bikes and then riding like a bellend just ruins it.

I mean fair enough, you dont have to be a great rider, but at least give stuff a go. If you cant ride a 3 foot drop off, I dont think you can call yourself a mountain biker.

Back in the day, if you said to someone you were a mountain biker, they would think of you as a bit of a tough guy (but cool with it aswell)

Not anymore, they almost laugh at you nowadays.

gsp1984
    Free Member

I work hard, get given an ok car by work and enjoy the outdoors/MTBing… Yet I probably fit into the stereotype, do I give a monkeys?… Nope. I’ll ride down pretty much anything but im no good at jumping right now and not particularly fit at the moment either. If other people get some form of amusement out of it then I’m glad I’ve unknowingly entertained their egos briefly while out on a ride.

I guess by some peoples logic I should buy a cheap bike until I’m good enough to deserve an expensive bike? :rolleyes:

kudos100
    Free Member

Another one of the regular dumb posts about people not falling into line with the opinions of the small/narrow minded – so that means they must be either c**p, stupid, lazy, 2 much money, etc, etc

Get off your high horse you penis. Perhaps some people do actually think that buying more shiny bits will make them go faster?

Nothing inherently wrong with that. I’m asking peoples experiences.

Oh I forgot, asking questions and having any opinion is frowned upon on STW.

nmdbase
    Free Member

What a load of boolacks

wrecker
    Free Member

People spending extortionate amounts on very expensive bikes and then riding like a bellend just ruins it.

I reckon judgemental bellends ruin it personally. There is FA cool or edgy about being a cock.

Get off your high horse you penis

I don’t think you’re qualified to call anybody a penis.

Garry_Lager

Bit of a myth IME. Chatted to a guy one time at the GT radio mast riding a carbon CDale moto who was basically laughing about having no idea on MTBing – said he wanted to support his mate’s shop (clearly a wealthy guy). Sort of a one-off encounter for me, not seen that sort of disparity very often.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

hugor
    Free Member

I mean fair enough, you dont have to be a great rider, but at least give stuff a go. If you cant ride a 3 foot drop off, I dont think you can call yourself a mountain biker.

Its this side of the sport that I have no time for.
    I have far too much to lose from an injury to my hands to risk it on some sort of juvenile big dick game.
    I don’t call myself a mountain biker either I have greater professional titles that I’d rather use.
    I still like riding my expensive bike offroad though.
    I never lead riding packs but have a good laugh with those like me who don’t take things too seriously in the mid pack.

kudos100
    Free Member

Bit of a myth IME. Chatted to a guy one time at the GT radio mast riding a carbon CDale moto who was basically laughing about having no idea on MTBing – said he wanted to support his mate’s shop (clearly a wealthy guy). Sort of a one-off encounter for me, not seen that sort of disparity very often

Shock, horror! You actually read my post Garry, rather than ranting on like a overgrown child.

fbk
    Free Member

Uh oh, I’ve got a bling XC bike, an average HT, a cheap second hand DH bike……. I’m clearly shit and great all at the same time…..blimey!

cinnamon_girl

The difference is that I’ve never claimed to be a skilled rider and will happily laugh at my uselessness. Love my bling bikes though.

bencooper
    Free Member

If anything, I find it’s the opposite – at least I always seem to get dirty looks whenever I turn up at Glentress with my old GT RTS, no helmet and ripped jeans.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Perhaps those that can afford the greatest bikes are not necessarily the best riders because their professions occupy a much greater proportion of their lives.

Exactly, people on lower incomes don’t work long hours.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 157 total)

The topic ‘Correlation – The fancier the bike, the less skilled the rider?’ is closed to new replies.