Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Cordless drill/driver
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

DeWalt any good? Milwaukee? They all seem to offer similar stuff in the kits just no idea where to start (don’t say B&Q!) Brushless? 18v? 20v?

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

Makita is my preference and often gets recommended on here.

Depending on what you are planning to use it for the 10.8v stuff is very good. 18v may be better if it’s your only drill.

Assuming you are still around perth? Bunnings prices aren’t bad, usually better than toolmart. If you can wait a few weeks then sydney tools will be the cheapest.

Brushless looks interesting but I’m holding out for a while to see if the prices come down.

stumpyjon

Look for the ah figure for the batteries, 1.3 ah bog standard, not good, 3.6 or 4 is good. Also want Li batteries not Nicd. I have a £300 Hitachi that has been very good but also 3 Ryobi one+ drills (from B & Q, got three because it’s cheaper to buy a drill and batteries than batteries on their own when the drills are on offer). To be honest the Ryobis have had the most use really. If it’s your first drill a top end one is overkill. Also don’t get sucked in by brand, cheap Makitas with Nicd batteries are not the bargain they seem.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

What are you going to use it for?

I asked the question on here a while back about which to buy, and off advice have bought a cordless for screwdrivering and light wood drilling etc.

I will then by a cheap SDS when I need to do some harder stuff.

They all feel/weigh different in your hand. I went for a Stanley Fat Max because it feels good in the hand and we’ll constructed. No issues with it so far.

Cheap at hombase too at the minute

phead
    Free Member

I’m lusting after this bosch blue set at the moment.

Linky

but I’ve just found out they are releasing new 2.5AH batteries with it, so I’ll wait for those.

wwaswas

Some bloke just tweeted this picture of his Aldi one;

Not Aldi is my suggestion.

takisawa2

Looks like it’s been dropped.
    Could happen to any drill surely ?

Same boat here, looking to spend £80-£100 on a drill to be used for light drilling/screwdriver’ing.
    Asked question on here & opinion was to get something around 10-12v, with Li-Ion pack…
    Have a big hammer drill already.

nach
    Free Member

Looks like it’s been dropped.
    Could happen to any drill surely ?

It could, but some brands are tougher than others. I had a Metabo one once, not that fancy, but fell off a 12 foot scaffold when I lent it out and just kept working.

DeWalt, Makita, Milwaukee, they’re all good drills. If you’re doing the odd job here and there the 10.8v ones will be fine.

PePPeR

My Hitachi Li on 18v drill has been brilliant, 2 batteries £100 and has lasted daily use for the past 4 years.

Even cheaper these days at Srcrewfix

http://m.screwfix.com/p/hitachi-dv18dcl2-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/64945

nemesis
    Free Member

I’ve had this Bosch one for a couple of year and it’s been great. Mine came with two batteries which is useful if you’re doing lots of heavy work – eg hammer drilling walls rather than wood. £100 in the Xmas sale at B&Q

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2418432.htm?CMPID=GS001&_$ja=cgid:18091936165|tsid:59156|cid:189934405|lid:98857740325|nw:g|crid:60723472885|rnd:11339978878855098409|dvc:c|adp:1o1|bku:1

willyboy
    Free Member

We have Makita at work, but the Hitachi at £99 is good.

At home i had an 18v Dewalt lead acid (v heavy), died after about 12 years and has been replaced with this . I got it on a deal for about £80 and its been v good so far

nach
    Free Member

We used equivalent Hitachis to those for a community workshop, they lasted through several years of continuous use and abuse from a couple of hundred members.

You can sometimes find heavily discounted twin packs of them, which might be overkill for DIY, but if you’re doing woodwork it’s very handy to have a drill and driver set up at the same time.

footflaps

I drop my Bosch and Festool ones all the time and use the battery packs as a hammer to bash raw plugs in etc, they can take it as they’re very well made.

This is my favourite tool:

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Ended up with this one. 170 ($30 cash back)

wrightyson
    Free Member

Just gone Milwaukee brushless. Drill/driver, circular and angle grinder. Same 18v battery for all but available in different ah. Impressed so far.

tymbian
    Free Member

Milwaukee 18v Lithium here. 1 each normal and brushless and happy with both. I had ( still have ) an 18v Dewalt NiCad before (10+ years)..the batteries no longer hold a decent charge but it has more than paid for itself.

I give my tools a lot of hard use and will always choose one with a metal chuck.

The batteries for the Dewalt gave up on a job and TP had the Milwaukee on offer at the time. If I had not of had to source an immediate replacement I would of chose the Hitachi DV18DSDL which has 90Nm of torque.

Metabo make quality tools also.

That Festool shown above looks cumbersome to me and is probably the ugliest cordless ever made.

footflaps

That Festool shown above looks cumbersome to me and is probably the ugliest cordless ever made.

Very well balanced in the hand, and lovely to use.

molgrips
    Free Member

B&Q currently have a compact Bosch Li-ion one for £50, looks good. Perhaps not the best for heavy duty drilling but conversely would be much nicer for screwing.

AlexSimon

I’ve found that my very balanced Makita is actually worse than one that tips forward in the hand. One with a balance point more forward than the grip would probably help.

Good drill otherwise though – this one as it comes with the nice battery and super-fast charger. One brew and it’s got another hour or two in it.

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/index.php?option=shop&page=shop.product_details&product_id=66800&l=uk&utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&gclid=Cj0KEQiArK6lBRC5-_jv48uxgrgBEiQAuxdZ9YLAS–0Ub565E5c31eK2wIf11zAbRtJy2aoDnWypqkaAn_L8P8HAQ

nixie

Wickes have got some Makita offers on currently. DHP453 with charger and 3AH battery for £90. They alos have the cased version with accessory set for £15 more. I’ve just ordered that and a bare impact driver for a total of around the same as the Makita B&Q only set with smaller batteries.

tymbian
    Free Member

Home base had Fatmax ones that looked good for the money.

paulmgreen
    Free Member

I use to use DeWalt in my business but battery life was appalling so gave now replaced with Makita and Hitachi…… hitachi are the best of the two and will be future purchases too

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Cordless drill/driver’ is closed to new replies.