Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • continuous contact lenses
  • jam-bo

anyone use them? how do you find them.

at the moment I wear glasses the majority of the time and daily lenses for riding/surfing/kayaking.

I do lose the odd one surfing/kayaking. will this be a problem?

phiiiiil

I've had them for a year now, I think – they're great. I take them out every now and then (they say you're supposed to for a day a week, so they're not really "continuous-for-a-month") but I've had no problems at all. Being able to just see clearly, all the time, without having to faff about with carting glasses about or taking lenses in and out is ace.

My only problem is remembering when I should change them – I've accidentally worn a single set for a month and a half before I remembered to change them. It also takes a bit longer to remove them now I'm doing it 30 times less often…

Camping and suchlike is much easier with them – you don't have to make sure you don't squash a pair of glasses or worry about making sure your lenses stay clean when putting them in and taking them out in a tent full of wet, dirty gear.

I've never had one come out despite lots of cycling, but I haven't used them for anything wetter than a shower. I keep the lenses from last month as a backup in case anything should happen to the current pair, but I've not had to use them yet. I suppose as long as you don't lose more than one lens a month on average you're okay… 🙂

Phil

AndyP
    Free Member

I've been wearing them since they were introduced. Absolutely the best thing ever.
    Surfing etc? well, as with all contact lenses you should carry a spare pair or your specs in case of damage or comfort issues…

jackthedog
    Free Member

They're great, just be strict with yourself when it comes to the time you wear them for. Two of my friends have done permanent damage to their eyes by leaving them in for too long.

AndyP
    Free Member

They're great, just be strict with yourself when it comes to the time you wear them for. Two of my friends have done permanent damage to their eyes by leaving them in for too long.

as with all CLs, of course…! Compliance is a major issue, there's only so much the industry and practitioners can do – people still try to get a few more days out of lenses, to save a few pennies – and some get a bit more than they bargained for.

Woody
    Free Member

Got them originally to save hassle with working shifts/length of wear/comfort issues and have used them for about 3 years with no problems. It might be defeating the purpose but I find it much more comfortable to take them out in the evening and sterilise them. This is mainly due to finding it easier to read without them although mine are varifocals which do help. My last pair lasted over a year which my optician said wasn't ideal but not dangerous as they were cleaned regularly.

molgrips
    Free Member

They are indeed absolutely fabulous, the next best thing to laser surgery imo. And toric ones are available from Bausch and Lomb too which they weren't originally.

I do leave them in for two weeks at a time or sometimes even a month. But I built up to that whilst being monitored three-monthly for any of those lil blood vessels that are bad news. Although tbh I don't know why. I think it depends on you since a mate had the blood vessels after wearing daily lenses for less than a day.

Absolutely beats the living crap out of glasses for sport and even for everyday. When it's rainy, I can see; sunny – I just grab a swish pair of oakleys; lying in bed watching tv or reading – no problem. Just superb.

One optician commented that wearing them all the time was probably the safest way, since you're not risking infection by taking them out, handling and storing them.

Jamie
    Free Member

Been using them since they came out, usually wear for the full month. Have CL check ups at Specsavers every 6 months/year and my eyes are doing fine. I just wish they had been available at school, as i missed out on so much sport due to needing to wear glasses 24/7.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I tried them once, they were fine for a month or 2 and the suddenly my eyes rebelled against them and I couldnt get them out quick enough.

After a bit of a break, they'd seem OK until after 2 or 3 sleeps when they'd start stinging like made. Back on monthly disposables now with no probs.

molgrips
    Free Member

needing to wear glasses 24/7

What, even when asleep? That's a bummer…

Jamie
    Free Member

What, even when asleep? That's a bummer…

Until i got contact lenses my dreams were all fuzzy and out of focus. Really annoying, especially with sexy dreams.

mattsccm
    Free Member

brillaint. I take them out occasionally as with all lenses they don't take well to crap n your eyes. If i take them out i leave them out over night but rarely does a day go by without them. Carry a spare pair if I go away and sometime specs if motorcycle trail riding as i need something to drive with and bunging new lenses in covered in mud can be awkward. my Specsavers deal gives me an extra pair a year if I lose or damage them which if course I always do 😉

edsbike
    Free Member

They're probably the best thing I've ever spent any money on! Only problem is when you're out, get dirt in your eye, rub your eye and it pops out onto the ground. Had this happen twice, but Specsavers were good with giving me a free replacement lense when that happened.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I've had them for a few months, also from the background of someone who usually wears glasses with daily disposable contacts for sports stuff.

I don't wear them all the time, or wear them for more than a few days at a time. I have found then very comfortable when in and I can't see any real downside compared to the daily disposables I was using before – even if I don't wear them all the time.

ianv
    Free Member

Are these any good if you have really bad eyesight 6.5/7

molgrips
    Free Member

I think even better than glasses for strong scrips – no distortion and your eyes look the right size to other people 🙂

Only problem is when you're out, get dirt in your eye, rub your eye and it pops out onto the ground

That's never happened to me in 6 or 7 years of wearing.

And they make better daily use lenses than actual daily use ones because they are super floppy and soft, and they also don't dry out so you don't get crappy night vision and sticky dry eyes late in the evening.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I tried them once, they were fine for a month or 2 and the suddenly my eyes rebelled against them and I couldnt get them out quick enough.

More or less the same for me, they were great for a few months and then my eyes couldn't stand them

piemann
    Free Member

I've been wearing the 30 day lenses for a couple of years. I think that the longest I wore the same pair was well over 4 months, probably more like 6. Thay start to get a little fuzzy at this point, but don't cause any discomfort or pain.

They totally rock and short of getting lazer surgery are by far and away the best option. (IMHO)

Pie.

jam-bo

what sort of cost are they?

going to book an appointment at the opticians tomorrow.

Jamie
    Free Member

I pay £15 a month with Specsavers, free 6 month checkups chucked in and usually if i lose one/pair they replace it free of charge. Have to buy own solution tho, but its just the multi stuff which costs about £4 and lasts 6 months for me.

jam-bo

cool. i was thinking they were £30-40 a month

AndyP
    Free Member

Are these any good if you have really bad eyesight 6.5/7
    6.5/7..what? Do you mean your prescription is plus or minus 6.50? If so, a) that's not really bad eyesight, and b) yes, they're fine. In fact they make even more sense because if you're a -1.00 you can get away without any form of correction, but at -7.50 (like me) you're screwed the whole time without 🙂

They totally rock and short of getting lazer surgery are by far and away the best option. (IMHO)
    risk-wise, they're a far better option. Plus of course, after laser surgery, the majority of people will end up needing to wear specs, lenses or have lens implants at some point in their lives too…

AndyP
    Free Member

cool. i was thinking they were £30-40 a month
    Cost depends on the lens. You get what you pay for, basically. There are about 3 different 'levels'. The basic Specsavers deal (rebadged Focus Night& Day) are an old design and not the best material, but perfectly decent. Acuvue Oasys are £15-20 per box lens only (ie without a care contract) – that's 6 lenses (2-weekly replacement for daily wear, 1-weekly replacement if you sleep in them.) so £15 for 3 weeks supply for two eyes, lens only. But they're by far the best out there.

Woody
    Free Member

AndyP
    Have you tried the 3 levels and is there really a noticeable difference in quality? I would be happy to pay a few £ extra per month if there is.

I'm also with Specsavers and was led to believe that the options were very limited with my current varifocal lenses and monthly wear was the only option I was offered. I'm due an appt in the next couple of weeks so will ask.

AndyP
    Free Member

AndyP
    Have you tried the 3 levels and is there really a noticeable difference in quality? I would be happy to pay a few £ extra per month if there is.

yes. There is. The 'lower levels' are fine, seriously. But let's just say I'd never go back, even if I did have to pay for my lenses 😉

I'm also with Specsavers and was led to believe that the options were very limited with my current varifocal lenses and monthly wear was the only option I was offered. I'm due an appt in the next couple of weeks so will ask.
    ah…varifocals a different kettle of fish, sorry. There are a few EW multifocals out there and more on the way I'm sure but not much choice at the moment. Obviously the focus (tadah) is on the main market which is us young 'uns… 😉

One thing though…are you in Manchester by any chance?

Woody
    Free Member

I'm in Durham and thanks for the info.

I'll have a word with optician when I'm at Specsavers but my prescription is only -2.5 and -2.75 and the frustrating thing is that I can still read the tiniest print without my lenses in ! Might have to bite the bullet and get some reading specs for work.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘continuous contact lenses’ is closed to new replies.