Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Continental Vertical Riders of the Past
  • Joe

I have just worn out my umpteenth pair of Vert Pros and feel that the wind is a changing. It’s time to move on and try something new.

What have former Vertical Pro devotees moved towards as their everyday trail tyres of choice.

I don’t want any responses from anyone who wasn’t of the Vert Pro church.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Still with Verticals here – 4th pair. I do have some High Rollers (2.5 dual ply) that go to the Alps instead of the Verticals. Although 2.5 dual ply might be overkill here, I might try some 2.3 High Rollers, single ply next time.

Joe

Yes. I am a “High Rollers” in the Alps man also.

P20

I didn’t like high rollers, i now use nobby nics. Grippier and faster than verticals

iDave
    Free Member

are verticals no good anymore? has terrain changed composition? or is it just that people may point and laugh?

joolsburger
    Free Member

Was on Verticals for years strayed and now back. Happy to be so they are very very good and very cheap.

beanieripper
    Free Member

Been a member of the Vert church for a long time, on about my 5th or 6th pair, i have tried other tyres (high rollers, nevegals, michelins, nics, etc) as much as i try to leave they end up back on the bike.. nobby nics grippier than verts? thats not my experience of them at all…. buy some black chilli verts..

alfabus
    Free Member

I used to be a vert pro evangelist, I still like them, but find that Maxxis Ignitors give very similar all conditions performance with slightly better grip on the shoulders and a bit larger volume; they also have less porous sidewalls so are better for running tubeless on stans rims.

oh, and high rollers in the alps… 🙂

Dave

NorthernStar
    Free Member

I thought Continental had stopped making Verticals? At least that’s what my local bike shop said as I bought up their last two Verticals in stock last year?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I tend to get my vertical from Halfords. They seem to always have them in £13.99 last time but that was an interned reserve and collect.

Still listed
    Clicky Click for £13.99 Verticals

bazza17
    Free Member

+1 for the Ignitors. Identical to Verts so a good all rounder and I run an Ardent on the back. Still have a vert on the front of my HT but a big fat Rubber Queen UST on the rear (2.4). Like a tractor tyre but excellent grip and traction IMO

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Another long term Verts fan here – tend to use High Rollers now, although I still have some Gravity and Vapour tyres kicking about on the fleet

Garry_Lager

Was an occasional visitor to the vert UST church – quite liked them on the front.

Moved on, rather boringly, to NNs and not looked back. I try other stuff to mix it up now and again but haven’t found anything better as an everyday tyre.

The rubber queen is excellent, though, and is surprisingly versatile – it’s not just a grip monster. Although I had a heavy fall when a 2.4 on the front washed out on me unexpectedly, so that’s put me off them a little bit (nothing to do with rider error, obviously).

jools182
    Free Member

I loved the vertical pros

Got a very bald one and a half worn one still in the shed

Can’t seem to get the pro version anywhere now

landy813
    Free Member

I love verts to they are good on the dry rock terrain here in Cyprus, got Igniters too great grip like the verts but just don’t seem as fast.

adstick
    Free Member

Specialized Captains. similar feeling but more grip and faster.

Mush
    Free Member

I stick with a Vert Pro as my rear tyre for much of the year as they seem to work really well for where and how I ride.

I also use the excellent Mud X and occasionally an Ignitor when it’s dry. The original Mountain King I had was okay, but wore out very quickly.

On reflection, I think I must have bought the wrong type of Ignitor (2.1 XC) as although most seem to like it, I find it to be really fragile and puncture with annoying frequency.

A High Roller is permanently on the front.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Had a couple of verts and found them good all rounders. Using a 2.4 Mountain King on the front and a 2.2 rubber queen on the back. The RQ is a very suprising tyre, rolls very fast and great grip and comfort. I’d be tempted to try the new Mountain King MK2 if you can get a hold of one.

kiwijohn

I too have strayed from the one true church of Verts. Nevegals seem to work better on the FS & are even cheaper to boot.
    Trashed my last pair of Verts on the DMR, now rolling on Mountain King 2.4s. Too early to tell if they’re a worthy replacement yet.

collinstiffee
    Free Member

I had the available from halfords version on both mountain bikes for ages. Nice and light although the wall was pretty fragile. In dry the Vert seems fine but had terrible grip on damp rocks and roots.
    Went to maxxis swamp things (possibly overkill) for the rear on both bikes with a high roller on the front of the cove stiffee and a mountain king 2.4 on the front of the GT avalanche.
    Whilst it is slight overkill, the bike grips where previously I just could not get traction.

maybe I just needed the uber sticky version (which I previously did not know existed)

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Moved on to Nobby Nics

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of the pro-tection version if you want them, £22 posted as I can’t get on with them.

singletrackmind

I am on pair 3 of UST Verts . Have tried NN , ADvantage ( not) , Crossmark ( good ) , MudX ( when its really muddy) , Mountain King ( low profile / narrow / sketchy ) ,Ralphs (Ok in the dry ) and Ignitors.
    Ignitors have almost the same tread , but in UST are not as well made. I can feel the shoulder fold under power and they seem to puncture an awful lot easier than UST Vert Pros ever did .

Dunno what to try next , Have Larsen TT ‘s and they are very good on hard packed fireroad type surface , but any mud or loam they give way.

BigJohn

I went to Bonty XR4s and have never looked back (except to see who’s trying to catch me).

Wozza
    Free Member

Another vert faithful here I always come back to them… perfect all rounder tyre except I think the side wall is too high and flexy so you have to pump them up solid.

I thought high rollers gave up grip too quickly and were unpredictable. I liked Smart Sams but they’re a bit expensive. Mountain kings are terrible, explorers were good but a bit narrow on large rocks.

Those Bonty’s look good.

julianwilson
    Free Member

I did my first ever trail centre and my first ever race on verts. Aaaaaah, the memories…

Nowadays, 2.0 Mud x or 2.21 UST nobby nic on front and something lower profile like intense system 2 or sb8 on the back, had this all through the winter really. Occasionally for muddy races I will put a 1.8 mudx on the back too. All manner of big downhilly tyres on the Bullit too or intense system 4/cc2.25 if its for longer/less downhill.

I’ve got a pair of ‘non-pro’ verts in the classifieds for a tenner if anyone wants a look at what the fuss was about. Weighed them for postage purposes, suprised how light a relatively tough 2.3 wire bead tyre came up.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Continental Vertical Riders of the Past’ is closed to new replies.