Home Forums Bike Forum Continental Kyrptotal, but WHICH Continental Kyrptotal?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Continental Kyrptotal, but WHICH Continental Kyrptotal?
    arrpee
    Free Member

Planning to give these a bash. Pretty much decided on the Enduro rear tyre in soft compound, but swithering between having the same compound up front or going for the DH version in supersoft. Most reviews seem to relate to the latter.

Any relevant experiences of either front tyre? Anyone ran out of grip with the Enduro version, or given themselves a hernia trying to push the DH version up a hill?

Riding will typically be Aberfoyle, Tweed Valley and Dunkeld areas.

tetrode

I’ve used both soft and supersoft front. I used the supersoft in the alps last year and it was amazing. I’ve also been using the soft basically since the start of this spring/summer and absolutely no complaints about grip. There is more than enough, can’t rate these tyres highly enough!

(I switch to an enduro soft argotal front for the winter slop though, and that’s also excellent)

honourablegeorge

Got supersoft DH front on the ebike, enduro soft on the pedal bike, both excellent

Currently recovering from a crash on the ebike where I slid on a rock and otb’d straight into a tree with my shoulder and ended up tweaking just about every bone in my upper torso. I have never slid on that rock when riding the pedal bike. So I can only assume the soft is grippier :)

TBH, they’re both excellent.

tetrode

or given themselves a hernia trying to push the DH version up a hill?

Also, the 29er 2.4 DH supersoft is only 10g heavier (1290g) than the 29 2.4 super gravity ultrasoft magic mary (1280g)

weeksy

I run the DH Supersoft on the Status and Rise and don’t notice an increase in drag for climbing.  I love the Krypto though for sure.

mashr

Apparently there is an Enduro super soft on its way, but no idea when that’ll actually be

honourablegeorge

tetrode

Also, the 29er 2.4 DH supersoft is only 10g heavier (1290g) than the 29 2.4 super gravity ultrasoft magic mary (1280g)

There’s a bit more in it

bikesandboots

The enduro soft 29 is considerably overweight, many people have them at 1220g.

take Trail-Endurance as 1.0x, then Enduro Soft is meant to be 1.08x, and DH 1.24x, my ES is 1.17.

honourablegeorge

Yeah, the enduro is around the 1200 mark, only about 100g versus the DH

v7fmp

krypto rear.

Argotal front.

Whichever casing suits your needs.

Bosh!

julians
    Free Member

I use argotal in dh supersoft on the front of my low power ebike, it’s good.

joebristol

I’ve got a Kryptotal enduro soft front which I think is great. Better for me than a 3c maxxterra Assegai.  Did have a DH Supersoft Kryptotal front and whilst it was amazingly grippy it did feel draggy – so I sold it.

On the rear I have a Xynotal enduro / soft for the summer – rolls well / corners well / little bit skittery under braking on steep tech / loose stuff.

Kryptotal Re trail / endurance on the rear wheel for the winter – seems to dig into mud and slop better than a dhr2. Haven’t noticed it being wildly slippery due to the harder rubber.

bens
    Free Member

I’ve been reading quite a lot about the Kryptotal recently and seen a few different people have suggested the the Soft compound is less soft than MaxxTerra and Supersoft isn’t quite as soft as MaxxGrip.

Any Continental veterans, does this sound right?

A quick look on Google hasn’t given up much info on the Continental compound where the Maxxis stuff is easy to find.

hot_fiat

Running two 2.4 kryptotals  on the Alpine. Both with enduro casings.  Generally I love these. They were great in France a few weeks ago until I found freshly rained  on rock where the front was a bit squirrelly. Predictable but squirrely. I’d probably swap out for an Argotal like on my e-bike if I suspected it was going to be damp.

Northwind

Once the enduro supersofts finally come out, that’s going to be the correct choice for a lot of people, unless they **** it up it and the argotal are going to be 2 of the best bike tyres ever made tbf. I absolutely love my argotal enduro but it’s just that little bit harder than it ought to be, to make use of how aggressive the tread is.

So bloody hurry up conti!

bitmuddytoday
    Free Member

Got Enduro soft rear and DH supersoft front. I’ve been fairly happy with the performance and would pick this combo again rather than two Enduros. My first Continentals, nice to try something different. Tough casing, much less pinch prone than Specialized Grid Trails, happy a couple of psi lower, but a lot heavier. All things considered I think they roll quite well, probably better than the equivalent Maxxis. Dunno if they grip better or worse than Maxxis? Wear rate doesn’t seem bad, I’ve seen MaxxGrip tread disappear a lot quicker.

For my purposes locally they are still more draggy and heavy than I would like. The bike came with Specialized tyres. I will go back to a Butcher T9/Purgatory T7 and use the Kryptotals for Alps or BPW type stuff.

I did notice the tyres come from different factories. Enduro is made in China, DH made in Germany. The Enduro was too loose and DH very tight to install, but I got there without that much of a struggle. No leaks. Slightly different shades of yellow as well.

The rubber stinks. I don’t mind the smell but some people might. Been on the bike 3 months now and they still stink a room or car out. Not had this with other brands.

joebristol

I think my enduro soft Kryptotal is pretty similar to a 3c maxxterra Assegai – just the Kryptotal is better when it gets muddy- it digs in better.

Vs a Schwalbe soft magic Mary it also feels similarly soft.

Northwind

Coincidentally I just finished fitting an argotal dh 29 to my bike and what an absolute bastard it was. Not especially tight but it’s stiff and the rubber is pretty slidy so it just always wanted to come off more than it wanted to go on. I think maybe the only tyre I’ve ever fitted that’s actually pretty easy to get the last bit on but a pain in the arse to get the third quarter on.

It bloody better seal and be awesome :) I’m not putting it back on tomorrow!

arrpee
    Free Member

I opted for the Kryptotal DH front and Enduro rear in the end. I fitted the front tyre armed with only a couple of plastic tyre levers and my own stubborn heart. Exactly as billed, it left me feeling like I’d just killed a man and disposed of the body. I mean, the job was accomplished, but I fear that a corner of my soul may never be the same again.

As for performance, they’ve passed the Aberfoyle-in- “Summer” test with flying colours. Front feels meaty and supportive, tonnes of grip despite some deliberate piss-taking line choices. Noticeable drag on the climbs, but not Sisyphus-like.

sillyoldman

Are they still Black Chilli? If so, do they still last really well for their durometer?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

No longer black chilli (or not labelled on the carcass as such at least) but my Enduro ones are on 1100km so far. So maybe they are a bit harder than ideal but no complaints really so far

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Another “which”… Q

I’ve been running a Kryptotal RE Trail with a rimpact on the back my Rocket Max for the best part of a year now. Quite impressed, especially as its barely showing any wear. The only downside is that the carcass is quite soft, so I have to run quite high pressures to stop it rolling. (and can still feel it roll onto the Rimpact, then roll both together)

I’m off to the Alps in a couple of weeks (Stoneking Rally club week) and want something more robust on the back, but that still rolls well for all the climbing. If I could get a RE Enduro in Endurance compound, I’d be all over it – how much slower is the Soft, and how much tougher is the Enduro casing – enough that I can go barreling through rocks, blind, without needing the insert in there too? (I’m a lightweight in mass terms, but not afraid to give the bike some stick)

Thanks!

sharkattack

I’ve got the Enduro casing and I have 2 plugs in the rear tyre just from pinching it on a chunky fire road.

I built the bike in a hurry and didn’t have a 27.5 insert but I’ll definitely be putting Rimpacts in before I go back to any actual mountains.

ocrider

I managed to acquire a Krypto rear DH soft at a reasonable price in June to replace an enduro soft (preceded by a DH SS). Paired with a soft enduro Argotal in front, it’s gone from mid June through to now and shows very little wear after regular enduro rides and a dozen Alpine and Pyrenean bike park days.

My bike’s already a lump so the additional weight isn’t much bother as long as I can get to the top. I’d much rather have sore legs than pinch flats.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.