Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Contain your excitement… recommend me a pump.
  • higgo
    Free Member

My pump has stopped working. The last few times it’s let me down I’ve borrowed a pump off some one else they’ve passed me a Blackburn. They seem to work well.

Does not have to be super light-weight. Does not have to be small (as long as it fits in my camelbak). Does not have to go up to high pressure.

What do you recommend?

Mbnut
    Free Member

Without a shadow of a doubt I recommend a Topeak Mountain Morph, don’t get the mini morph as it is too small.

This pump is hands down the best backpack pump out there for the cash (there are some lovely pumps for alot more money) and gets used by everyone i ride with… buy one and be happy.

wrecker
    Free Member

Mountain morph. Tough as old boots.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Mountain Morph is a fine choice, I’ve got one I take with me for massive rides

higgo
    Free Member

Oh go on then – I’ll buy a Mountain Morph.

spacemonkey

+1 Mountain Morph. Ensure you check the adapter lip is always tight though as it can loosen and fall off mid-ride. Topeak have already sent me a couple of replacements which is thumbs up to them.

hora
    Free Member

Tick. Cheers. My tiny Specialized one is terrible

Northwind

M-Part Evolution- like a Morph, but cheaper, slightly larger volume, and bits don’t fall off as often.

carlos
    Free Member

Not lost any bits of my mountain morph, I do love the fact it folds out into a mini track pump though. Seems effortless even inflating a 2.35.

scottidog
    Free Member

Has anyone come across a mountain morph type design with one of those heads that works for both valve types without swapping bits around? Only way it could be made even better I reckon.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Phaart.

Russell96

Mountain Morph again. Only thing I think they could do to improve it would be to make the handle into a T rather than the L it is now.

Northwind

Have they fixed the foot falling off the morph then? Mine didn’t last very long, when I took it back I got a sort of a shrug and a “they all do that sir”

donal
    Free Member

The best pump I have used so far is one of the lezyne alloy drive ones. It is very simple but works well. It has a hose which would be one thing I would require on a pump. I have used the mountain morph as well and it is also very very good.

IA

lezyne alloy drive … It has a hose

This +1. Not quite sure which lezyne I have, but it’s small, metal, doesn’t get filled with crap/stop working, and the hose makes everything all a lot easier.

I’ve used the topeak’s too though and they’re also decent. Though I think if you want robustness the lezynes are better. Depends how much you’ll be using it?

guitarhero
    Free Member

I have replaced my mountain morph with the Lezyne alloy drive.
    The morph is a great pump but the head design is dreadful. Much happier with the Lezyne.

RustySpanner

My Lezyne overheats.

The hose seizes in the base of the pump, which then unscrews from the main body and it’s incredibly difficult to use at high pressures.

It’s the HP specific one, but I’d rather stab myself in the eyes than try and pump roadie tyres up to 110psi again with it.

The hose/adapter is a good idea though.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Bought Mountain Morph one year at Dyfi when I left my usual pump at home.
    It stopped working properly (ie 50% of the time) within a few months.

Leyzene alloy drive one is brilliant. Only niggle with the screw on hose is that it can remove valve cores on the way off…

lemonysam
    Free Member

Another vote for the Lezyne.

I have one of these:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-pressure-drive-mini-abs-pump-medium/?dest=1&curr=gbp&lang=en&utm_source=pla&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=uk

And also a mountain morph and would pick up the lezyne every single time. No idea what RS is talking about but mine certainly doesn’t do it and is a doddle to pump up road tyres. It’s also about a third the size of the Mountain Morph.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Leyzene alloy drive one is brilliant. Only niggle with the screw on hose is that it can remove valve cores on the way off…

Newer ones have a fix for that, there’s a pressure release thing which stops it gripping.

Del

i have a mountain morph and also a mini morph as i bought a smaller pack and the bigger pump wouldn’t fit in it.
    i actually find the mini slightly better. it doesn’t shift as much volume and takes more strokes to inflate a mtb tyre but is a little easier to pump as a result. it also has the advantage that it will deal with road pressures too.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Only niggle with the screw on hose is that it can remove valve cores on the way off…

Had a puncture today and when pumping up my spare tube, every time I unscrewed the pump it took the valve core with it letting all the air out again – four times! Topeak race rocket by the way. It’s a clamp-on head for me in future…

nickc

Another vote for the Lyzene one, little fat chubby metal thing.

It’s the HP specific one, but I’d rather stab myself in the eyes than try and pump roadie tyres up to 110psi again with it.

Which is why I carry co2 cans, I’d only only every use the pump as a back up get-me-home option on my roadie

BikePawl
    Free Member

I’ve got both the mountain morph and a lezyne, the Morph is much easier to use then the lezyne and the handle doesn’t dig into your hand as much.
    It is possible to change the head to an Intellihead but it does add a bit of weight
    This

z1ppy

Mountain morph or a clone of it, for me.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Don’t tell my smug mate who’s mountain morph I’ve borrowed a couple of times, but yeah, one of those…

perthmtb
    Free Member

So this thread’s got me interested in getting a new pump, and I like the idea of the mountain morph. Only thing is my favourite online store doesn’t have’em, but does have the turbo morph, which looks identical but with a small gauge, which I think would be kinda useful.

So, any experiences of the turbo morph?

brakes
    Free Member

no, but I would get a Lezyne Pressure Drive instead.

I’ve tried umpteen* pumps over the years, and the biggest let down in every single one is the mechanism for switching between presta and schraeder valves. the bits ALWAYS get lost or damaged – particularly when fiddling in the undergrowth** when out on a ride.
    The Mountain Morph was ok apart from losing the plastic insert in the valve, but also the little flip out foot stand lasted about 5 minutes and it also go too hot when vigorously pumping in the undergrowth**. It is also an odd length, not fitting in any of my bags/ pockets properly.

The Lezyne is simple and effective, and can be easily pumped hard and fast**, the removable parts are big enough not to get lost and it is durable. I have the high volume one (for commuting/ roading) but will probably get the high volume one as well for MTBing as it takes a lot of effort with the high volume one.

* about five
    ** matron

perthmtb
    Free Member

no, but I would get a Lezyne Pressure Drive instead.

Nah – won’t use another screw-on head, it’s gotta be clamp-on for me now – see above…

zerocool

Lezyne pumps are good. I’ve got a mini pump, mini track pump (really a longer fatter mini pump) and the Steel Track pump. All have been abused for years by myself and the monkeys that borrow them and still going strong. Look pretty as well.

Tom KP

Northwind

Screw-on head on the Lezynes is like something from the 80s but they’re otherwise lovely. Classic Lezyne- ropey design, implemented brilliantly.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Contain your excitement… recommend me a pump.’ is closed to new replies.