• This topic has 159 replies, 72 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by tomd.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 163 total)
  • Conservative Government, 2019 to 29(ish). Predictions?
  • nickc

No deal is what Johnsons backers want

Probably, but this is Boris we’re talking about here, a man that will lie at the drop of a hat to get what he wants. In this case a 5 year premiership with a v healthy majority, most of whom owe their newly found MP-ships to Boris, not his shadowy cabal of backers. So who exactly is he in thrall to now? They may well have spent money getting him there, but given the shape of the govt he now commands…You can probably add them to the pile of yesterday’s men; the ERG and the DUP…

tomhoward

You don’t think Boris will just charge his backers more for his services, now he has a loyal set of MPs who owe their jobs to him, so will be able to push any agenda through without risk of parliament getting in the way?

jjprestidge
    Free Member

are all pro-Brexit, anti-Johnson,

If they are pro brexit who are they pro if not Johnson, Farage? Rees Mogg?

That should have read ‘pro remain’ doh!

JP

cromolyolly
    Free Member

^^ that makes more sense!

belfastflyer
    Free Member

Employee rights out the window. The screws to be turned on the EU nationals living here. Also, anyone watched the purge lately?

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

We’ll end up with an independent Scotland connected to a united ireland via a bridge between the mull of kintyre and Ballycastle.

There’ll be a series of smaller road bridges spanning the sea lochs between Tarbert and Helensburgh.

There’ll also be a rail track extending along glen Croe down into the mull of kintyre.

That should keep the surfers happy;)

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Boris hair gets even messier.
    Dominic Cummings turns slightly green and appears in public on a hoverboard.

BillMC

Already they’re backtracking on promises made about raising the minimum wage (can’t do it if the economy falters, which it will with brexit) and social care for the elderly (push it back to LAs to deal with who themselves have been cut to shreds). Aussie politics as I remember it was all about populism, insults, aggression, name-calling and where did Lynton Crosby come from? Oddly, whilst the BBC went out of its way to rubbish Labour, the Tories are now talking of decriminalising not paying your license fee but they are proposing to criminalise local authorities supporting BDS.
    My worry is that working people around here (some of whom have sfa, maybe a car and a phone) who voted Tory are unable to articulate why and will end a discussion with ‘they’re all the same’. Government policy for years has not been evidence based but ideological and this has filtered down into people’s thinking. The cohorts that voted Tory in significant numbers were non-graduates and the elderly, both of whom would rely heavily on the mass media and the Tories would love to see a larger role played by Fox News. I am amazed at the disparity between people’s preferences and their lived experience, maybe they want someone to ‘look up to’ (JRM?) or a ‘natural born leader’ (BJ, just like Churchill?) and maybe they think they deserve to be poor, ‘know your place’. How depressing. Progress for the next 5 years will only be made outside of parliament.

andypaul
    Free Member

This thread should be renamed ‘sore losers’

kimbers
    avdave2

Well at least they know they’ve lost, it’s the utterly deluded who think they’ve won I find most interesting.

tomhoward

What are you looking forward to about your ‘win’ given the previous 9 years performance? I guess brexit, but that will be done in a year (apparently) so then what?

kimbers

@andypaul

Would love to know your thoughts on why Johnson has removed workers rights protections from his bill ?

Exactly as us sore losers predicted

jam-bo

99.999% of us lost…

kerley
    Free Member

99.999% of us lost…

Yep. Guessing andypaul is in the 0.001% (or is just a great big troll)

BillMC

Corbyn’s sympathies with the Palestinians was a very big issue for some, bigger than the NHS, student fees, care for the elderly, wages etc. So I guess to that extent they’d feel they’d won.
    It is amazing how people like Umunna sacrificed his parliamentary career over AS when he’d already said he’d never witnessed any racism in the LP in 20 years and we’re still waiting for the evidence of it. An idiot but a useful idiot. Any job vacancies for useful idiots?

andypaul
    Free Member

Yep. Guessing andypaul is in the 0.001%

Not a troll, just struggling to comprehend why anybody would think a Corbyn or Swinson governent would have been a viable and sensible alternative…? Please convince me!?

kerley
    Free Member

Not a troll, just struggling to comprehend why anybody would think a Corbyn or Swinson governent would have been a viable and sensible alternative…?

A Labour government would actually try and improve life for those in most need, bring about a more equal society, put funding back into public services that require it.
    Yes, that cost money but it is money that needs to be spent and the country/people can afford it

The tory government is going to do the opposite of that just as they have during the last 40 years and the only people who do well from it are the people that really don’t need any help.

Convinced?

avdave2

just struggling to comprehend why anybody would think a Corbyn or Swinson governent would have been a viable and sensible alternative

I didn’t want any of them to have a majority, I wanted a result where they all failed and got rid of their inept or toxic leaders and actually had to look at each other and realise they would all have to compromise to resolve the mess we are in.

FB-ATB

anyone would think Corbyn or Swinson governent would have been a viable and sensible alternative…

Tbh, as much as I don’t like the Tories being in, the depressing fact is that there was no credible alternative. Even if Labour get a stellar leader now, the Tory majority is so large they can do what they like.

My son has cerebral palsy, I dread to think what will happen when he’s 18 and moves onto PIP. They’ll probably judge he’s 100% for to work and entitled to nothing.

I think this is why most people fear the next few years- with the rise in food banks, homeless most voters don’t seem too bothered if it doesn’t effect them

andypaul
    Free Member

A Labour government would actually try and improve life for those in most need, bring about a more equal society, put funding back into public services that require it.

That is just a re hash of their failed election promise. There is nothing here to convince me or anybody else other than hardcore Corbynites

Northwind

andypaul

And sore “winners”, because there’s going to be just as many of those over the next 5 years.

kerley
    Free Member

I think this is why most people fear the next few years- with the rise in food banks, homeless most voters don’t seem too bothered if it doesn’t effect them

Probably a combination of not being effected and not caring enough to find out. Most people probably wouldn’t even know what PIP is let alone know about what a brutal system it is.

andypaul
    Free Member

I agree if we had a labour govermemt they would probably rid the need for foodbanks, for at least 5 years, at which point a Tory goverment would have to introduce austerity measures because yet again labour had spent money they just didnt have and nearly bankrupt the country ala 2010.

kerley
    Free Member

That is just a re hash of their failed election promise. There is nothing here to convince me or anybody else other than hardcore Corbynites

It is nothing to do with Corbyn. Any labour party under any labour leader would be looking after those in need more than any tory party. If you cannot see that they you really are not looking at the last 40 years very hard or listening to what the MPs are saying or seeing what MPs are in the cabinet.

kerley
    Free Member

I agree if we had a labour govermemt they would probably rid the need for foodbanks, for at least 5 years, at which point a Tory goverment would have to introduce austerity measures because yet again labour had spent money they just didnt have and nearly bankrupt the country ala 2010.

Austerity was a tory choice, they could have easily chosen to just take only from those that can afford it as I said.
    What would you prefer – no food banks, less homeless, better social care, better equality etc,. and the better off made a bit worse off or just carrying on as currently?

exsee
    Free Member

trying to help and actually helping are very different things though. The political bigots are a big part of the problem, it’s not star wars kerley.

The Tory party have different answers to the Labour party, try thinking along those lines and you can help move the discussion out of the playground.

kelvin

The Tory party have different answers

The current Tory party has nothing but lies. It has no answers for the general public, and won’t deliver anything in the public good. Sorry.

Promise to raise the minimum wage before the election has already been moved to behind a caveat (that Brexit doesn’t damage the economy). Expect plenty more of this kind of thing.

FB-ATB

nearly bankrupt the country ala 2010.

I don’t think we were that close to bankruptcy. A lot of the late 2000s financial problems stemmed from the sub prime lending (•)collapse in the USA. Who was in president of the US? Oh yes George Bush, the Republican.

• I was working in the UK for a subsidiary of the worst offender.

tomhoward

The Tory party have different answers to the Labour party

Getting the poor to pay for what the rich could afford, generally.

exsee
    Free Member

Kelvin don’t allow bigotry to taint your visions of the future.
    You are just chanting like the empty heads on the football stands. Voter’s would say exactly the same about all opposing manifestos/pledges.

DavidB
    Free Member

nearly bankrupt the country ala 2010.

I don’t think we were that close to bankruptcy. A lot of the late 2000s financial problems stemmed from the sub prime lending (•)collapse in the USA. Who was in president of the US? Oh yes George Bush, the Republican.

• I was working in the UK for a subsidiary of the worst offender.

This time a thousand. Everyone skips over the fact that the world was in unforeseen financial crisis at this time.

prezet
    Free Member

One of my best friends voted for Boris – he’s sitting pretty on a property worth close to a million quid, has a couple of nice cars, no children, earns a good salary.

When I asked him why he voted Tory he said he wanted tax breaks – there was no way he was going to vote for Corbyn as all he was going to do is tax him more and put it into the NHS and schools – both of which are of no use to him (his words).

I literally couldn’t believe what I was hearing – how on earth do you convince someone with that attitude that being taxed a bit more to help those worse off than yourself is a good thing for our society.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

. Everyone skips over the fact that the world was in unforeseen financial crisis at this time.

It wasn’t entirely unforeseen, the people who saw it coming were drowned out by those who were making money off it.

Let’s not lose sight of the fact that austerity was unnecessary, it was a choice based on ideology, not economics, and a poor one. Places that pursued austerity did worse and took longer to recover than places that didn’t.

If you are worried about the economy and not wanting to repeat the problems of 2008, why would you vote for a govt that wants to pursue brexit, which is guaranteed to knock several percentage points off the gdp? Who announced making it impossible to extend brexit thus giving back all the currency gains that the election provided?

kerley
    Free Member

trying to help and actually helping are very different things though.

Not really. Labour will try and they will succeed in many areas which is a whole lot better than the tories who won’t be trying at all, in fact they will be doing the opposite and making things worse rather than helping at all.

The Tory party have different answers to the Labour party, try thinking along those lines and you can help move the discussion out of the playground.

They are not even answering the same questions. I left the playground in the 80’s, without my school milk…

kelvin

Kelvin don’t allow bigotry to taint your visions of the future.

I gave an example of a promise being made in the pre election Queen’s speech, repeated in the Conservative election manifesto, and repeated personally by the PM and the key minister during the campaign … only for it to be rowed back on immediately in the post election Queen’s Speech. So they say one thing to be elected, and another as soon as they have secured a mandate to do what they want. They are only in power due to knowingly lying to get elected. They are not in power to make our lives better “by different means” than Labour… there may have been plenty of past Conservative politicians with that aim… but just read the past writings of current government ministers and the PM to understand what we are in for. Or you could read what Sir John Major has said about them, and their real aims, and why they should not be trusted.

BillMC

Let’s not forget, the OECD costed the Labour manifesto and said it would place the UK in about the middle of average state expenditures across Europe and that Osborne said austerity was never about debt, which tripled under the Tories, but about ‘teaching the feckless a lesson’. I wonder if those blue rinse Tories were told of the state pensions in Germany, Spain and Greece? £186 pw at 67 in the UK vs £500 at 60 elsewhere and then disinheriting your kids by having to sell your house to pay for social care.
    On the upside all those people eating bleached chicken on their unpaid holidays from their zero hours jobs could bring great benefits to Southend, Blackpool, Clacton and Cleethorpes.
    In cities like Manchester balletic skills will be needed to get past all the homeless but at least they won’t have to pay off their student loans.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

I wonder if those blue rinse Tories were told of the state pensions in Germany, Spain and Greece? £186 pw at 67 in the UK vs £500 at 60 elsewhere

And look at the French, you know the ones who shrug their shoulders and smoke a Gitanes. At least they bother to fight their government, upping their retirement age from 62 to 64.

Over here it’s going to 68, the date was set, then moved forward 10 years! Suppose it’s best to close your curtains and pretend it’s not happening or find something pointless to protest about, Trump or some other distraction. Best not give the French protests too much news coverage in case our plebs get any ideas!

Good to see the snivelling toady British shysters (I’m being polite) leading by example.

Sir ****

dudeofdoom

Probably, but this is Boris we’re talking about here, a man that will lie at the drop of a hat to get what he wants. In this case a 5 year premiership with a v healthy majority, most of whom owe their newly found MP-ships to Boris, not his shadowy cabal of backers. So who exactly is he in thrall to now? They may well have spent money getting him there, but given the shape of the govt he now commands…You can probably add them to the pile of yesterday’s men; the ERG and the DUP…

I’m currently thinking this , I don’t think Boris is majorly concerned with Brexit unless it suits him.

He’s effectively disowned the previous 9 years,got away with a border in the Irish Sea and squirrelled workers rights somewhere else and blocked parliamentary oversight on trade deals.

Anyway Brexit is done on the 31 Jan and with a free ride for 12 months all he has to do is some crowd pleasers.

‘We’ll get a deal” is now the sound bite but what’s a deal.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 163 total)

The topic ‘Conservative Government, 2019 to 29(ish). Predictions?’ is closed to new replies.