Home Forums Chat Forum Compression Shorts for a hernia

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Compression Shorts for a hernia
  • Harry_the_Spider

So I’ve got myself an inguinal hernia and the surgeon told me that it could be a 6 month wait for a mesh repair.

I want to carry on doing exercise, specifically Karate (just kata, no contact), so would compression shorts help? I don’t like the idea of a truss is I worry that it would fall off!

Has anyone used them or got a recommendation?

BearBack
    Free Member

I had some underarmour compression shorts, I don’t think they really held anything in though. The truss was probably better than the shorts but neither solved my problem or enabled me to skip surgery.

I ended up swimming loads more and it allowed me to exercise with my hernia “retracted”
    Fasting and core strength work and I was able to have a requested suture only, mesh free repair

Harry_the_Spider

Surgery is inevitable, I just need something to offer a bit of support whilst I wait.

Harry_the_Spider

Compression shorts on order. Has anyone tried KT Tape?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Is it painful? I’ve had one for 3 years now, doesn’t cause me any bother, I’d quite like to get it sorted tbh…

Onzadog
    Free Member

I had one when I was a motorcycle instructor, self employed so I had to keep working. I used to push it back in, then bring my right leg up and so long as the leg was up, it would stay in place. As soon as the leg went down, it popped out again.

The amount of push required means there was no way a piece of material was going to keep it restrained.

I was ringing the hospital 2 a week asking if there were any cancellations I could take. Eventually worked. Maybe they just squeezed me in to shut me up.

longdog
    Free Member

Is it obvious if you have one? I’ve had a pain around that area since I manhandled washing machines in and out the house a few weeks ago.

I’ve prodded and poked and there’s no obvious bulge or pain, and the muscle feels flat (under the flab) but when I sit up to get up, or do pressups/leg raises theeres a sharp pain. Maybe just a strain??

spence
    Free Member

You know if you’ve got one, there’s a definite discomfort/pain. A truss can help prevent further damage when exerting.
    Had an op in April for bilateral inguinal hernias, never felt right on one side after, now booked in for a repair op end of the month on the recurrent. Be careful.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You know if you’ve got one, there’s a definite discomfort/pain.

Not always, no pain here, I can push the thing back in, wouldn’t even call it a discomfort tbh.

Harry_the_Spider

Tape is on and I can feel it pulling the other way, so maybe it will offer some support.

Let’s see what happens.

As an added bonus I am know smooth like a dolphin.

mudfish

Try your utmost to get it treated ASAP. I waited almost a year (it was small at the time and I didn’t want to miss a Summer riding).
    It was explained to me that every time it pops out it gets a little larger bringing more of the abdominal lining with it. That lining sticks to the area under the skin on the groin. Next that lining material has to be dissected and pushed back. The more there is the more scar tissue there will be.
    If you HAVE to wait 6 months I’d avoid sports or movements that make it pop. The less it pops the easier it is to fix my surgeon told me.

Harry_the_Spider

Been on The List since March, was told last week that it would be another 6 months as there are 70 in front of me (but I could have it done much faster for a mere £2.5k).

Sick of not doing anything.

fasthaggis

Have had both sides done now.
    With the last one(BC*) I kept (pestering) telling the consultant and my GP that I would travel anywhere in the country (Scotland) to get it done.
    I know there are less folk up here but got it sorted pretty quick,80mile round trip, home same day.
    *Before Covid

spence
    Free Member

You know if you’ve got one, there’s a definite discomfort/pain.

Not always, no pain here, I can push the thing back in, wouldn’t even call it a discomfort tbh.

Well you’re very lucky. Had a lot of pain and discomfort. Had the op in April, went back saying it didn’t feel right, was told that it’s just the healing process. It got worse! Went bak last week and now booked in for a repair at the end of the month. Marked down as a recurrent, but basically the repair failed. Cancelling this weekends BPW trip.

Harry_the_Spider

Early days yet with the taping, but it seems to me working. The bulge has “deployed”, but the tape is holding it and there is no discomfort.

Not really done much today, tomorrow will be more of a test.

And I have a bush like a Brazilian Show Girl! #winning

BearBack
    Free Member

That lining sticks to the area under the skin on the groin

Adhesions are more of a concern post repair aren’t they. That was one of the reasons I asked to have a non-mesh repair if possible. (also asked the surgeon if he could use a biomesh repair if mesh was needed but we were unable to procure the material through)
    I also had several post op physio visits to do deep tissue massage to separate the layers of adhesion post surgery.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Compression Shorts for a hernia’ is closed to new replies.