• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Commuting in the snow – drivers more courteous??
  • AlasdairMc

Has anyone else noticed that drivers seem to be a lot more courteous when there's snow on the ground? I've ridden in throughout the snow season and it seems that drivers are keeping their distance a lot more and are less likely to pull awful overtaking manoeuvres.

Long may it continue…

al

crazy-legs

Yesterday I thought the same.
    Today it seems that everyone now considers themselves to be a Finnish rally driver – apparently one day of mincing delicately around on snow means you're an expert and you're now qualified to drive at normal speeds while using the mobile.

hora
    Free Member

I can't wait to get back in the car. I'm close to hurting a motorist.

monkeychild
    Free Member

There were some idiots this morning. But hey it's to be expected.

Haze

They're just more wary of getting the car scratched.

AlasdairMc

Haze – Member

That's what I thought, but I'm hoping this increased awareness of cyclists improves their impressions of us for when the snow melts.

hora
    Free Member

Alot also dont want holding up by anyone. Ive had a few overtaking me with two wheels on the snowed up lane and two on tarmac. It makes the experience of being overtaken a 'shared' experience….'will he or wont he be able to control his slide if his two snowbound wheels slip'?

Strangely on both occassions the drivers wanted to get to the redlight c10m's ahead before I did. Neither wanted to get out of their warm cars to taste blood and snow. Sorry, it makes me bloody angry as I could easily in both situations be the one with a broken jaw/wrist etc laying in the snow. I wonder if they'd stop? Hence its not disproportionate to offer a beating to them.

westkipper
    Free Member

Its a bit like heavy, nightime rain
    I find the courteous drivers become more courteous…
    The f'wit drivers become bigger f'wits, especially those with fwd "as they've got a vehicle that allows them to show their driving skills"

samuri
    Free Member

I got overtaken by two cyclists yesterday when driving long. way cool.

hora
    Free Member

Cant wait to get back in the car again. Sick of risking my neck on roads with my destiny at the hands of others.

TimP
    Free Member

Had 2 cars this morning turning out of side roads onto the main road where I was cycling. Normally they would wait till I was past but today they both seemed to wait so that we ended up with me in the gutter and them spinning their wheels and sliding sideways towards me as we went along at the same speed next to each other. It was pretty nervy wondering how far they would slide, whether I should stop and let them past etc.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

My ride to work in Cheltenham was quite the opposite today the few cars that were on the road seemed to have less patience than normal and thats bad enough.The 4×4 drivers seemed to be mad.couple of times i got push into the side where i didnt want to be by cars to close.least the cyclepath was nice and snowy and fun to ride.

westkipper
    Free Member

An update to my post above, it looks like EVERY single one of central Scotlands courteous drivers stayed home this afternoon
    Just back from some Ks and its been a while since I've experienced such F'wittitude. The thought processes of most of 'em go like such…
    "MUST GET HOME!, MUST GET HOME!,OH NO, ICE AND SNOW! MUST SPEED UP TO GET PAST IT QUICKER, OH ***K! A CYCLIST! MUUSST OVERTAKE INTO ONCOMING TRAFFIC AAIIIEEEE,PULLBACK IN, PULLBACK IN!!!"
    stupid m*****f*****s!

spooky_b329

Hora…Strangely on both occassions the drivers wanted to get to the redlight c10m's ahead before I did. Neither wanted to get out of their warm cars to taste blood and snow. Sorry, it makes me bloody angry as I could easily in both situations be the one with a broken jaw/wrist etc laying in the snow. I wonder if they'd stop? Hence its not disproportionate to offer a beating to them.

It doesn't sound like you are worried about your safety, more like you are looking for a fight. Hmmmm, that was a near miss, lets go and make a personal attack on the driver and give him another chance to put me on the floor. People like you is why many consider cyclists to be arrogant and aggressive.

I'd like to see what happens when you make a poor choice and pass a cyclist a bit too close, then they come hammering on your window at the next set of lights. Either you'd wimp out and check the door was locked, or there would be blood on the floor and everyone thinking what idiots you both are.

shedfull
    Free Member

Nope – it takes a lot more than a bit of snow to stop the people of Surrey from killing anyone to get to work a second earlier. I came very close to being run flat by a 4 x 4 on the A3 today.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Can't say I've noticed any difference really. The asshats are still driving like asshats.

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

Going well until the way home when a heavily modded Scooby pulled out of Tommy Tailors Lane in Cheltenham (go on, make a guess what drugs they were dealing!) and blipped its throttle as it went past me. By the time it went past the wife who was 10ft behind me it was side ways and then stopped as it hit another car…cue much swearing!

Glad we rode on the pavement, the roads are all sheet ice.

hora
    Free Member

spooky_b329, both times I heard the cars approaching then the higher revs whilst they span to gain momentum to overtake me.

Its the fight or flight response.
    Saying that, commuting by bike does wind me up as Ive never come across anyone in a pub or bar who has threatened me. So having it happen on the road is a new experience in ways.

Better to put an idiot straight than him to think all cyclists are push overs.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Commuting in the snow – drivers more courteous??’ is closed to new replies.