Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Commuting fun!
  • anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

and its another way of prooving yourself as a man.

Physical exertion through peer competition is normal.

… except these are not your peers … and they are not competing with you …

Is this why most people drive like morons as well? They see it all as a competition?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I wish I had other cyclists to even look at, let alone tag. I spend more time looking out for buses or lorries that seem to think because they’ve got the cab past you they can pull back in, and tough sh!t if you’re in the way.

Gave a thumbs up to another mtb’er who was coming the other way once and he looked at me as if I was asking to borrow his wife for the night.

stcolin
    Free Member

Congratulations on your willy waving thread.

How do you feel?

cynic-al
    Free Member

from http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2007/06/its-all-in-details.html

This may come as a shock to the newer riders out there, but there is absolutely nothing cool about trying to race somebody on your commute or on a recovery ride in the park. I know you’re very excited to be on your new Pista or Madone or whatever, and I know you feel like you need to prove yourself when you see someone else on a track bike or on a road bike in a team kit or whatever the case may be. But you need to learn something very important—it’s not always cool to attack, and it’s never OK to sit on a stranger’s wheel.

That guy on the track bike you’re killing yourself to pass may simply be on his way home from the velodrome, or from a day’s work as a messenger. The guy on the carbon wonder-bike in full lycra regalia may be returning from a 90-mile training ride, or a race, or may be cooling down from an interval. He sees you pick up the pace when you approach him, he hears you panting, he sees you look over your shoulder, and he knows what you’re up to. That’s why he lets you get a lead and then passes you on the next hill, often making a point of making a cell-phone call or eating some food, so he can pass you no-handed.

jackthedog
    Free Member

This may come as a shock to the newer riders out there, but there is absolutely nothing cool about trying to race somebody on your commute…

I never knew there were so many rules of commuting etiquette.

Loafer
    Free Member

Well, I’m looking forward to toasting some numptys on the way home tonight

oxym0r0n

* No traffic lights involved…

* I’d had a rubbish day at work so needed something to “vent” my frustrations on…

* It was a choice between sitting on thier back wheels or going past, as, on the uphills I kept catching up and freewheeling…

* Might have been a bit of a case of all the gear… as one of them kept running big to big on the ups

* I’m sure they were jut warming up but it made me feel special for about 20 mins 😉

Dooge- it was on the way back from “Bridgy”

D0NK

That competetive streak is in most of us it just takes a little maturity to ignore it and I think there’s a lot of people who cant ignore it but also know they cant catch the faster riders so accuse them of showing off. It takes 2 of you to become a race and theres plenty who want to race.

I’ve passed people who are cruising along and they immediatley have to over take me, fine I’ll just get in behind you and enjoy a free ride but if you bust a gut on the flat and cant make it up the hills dont be surprised if I pass you again. This happened on tuesday but the guy was pushing pretty hard and I had a niteride to do, I was quite impressed with myself for backing off and saving my legs. Ended up passing him again a few miles later anyway 🙂

On the other hand if someone passes me, well, they are the one pushing the pace so generally I’ll sit in behind and get a tow again. I don’t mind teaming up and taking my turn at the front but there are very, very few who will do that IME, most just want to be in front.

twohats
    Free Member

* Might have been a bit of a case of all the gear… as one of them kept running big to big on the ups

Something you can get away with on a road bike.

zaskar
    Free Member

After doing a fast 40 miler roadie and warming down the last 3 miles home you always get the guy on a mtb overtaking you. Just focus on your ride.

You carry on as usual anyway but grin as you overtake his tired butt but you show no signs of joy…but inside:lol. 😈 ok immature I know…

I use my road bike for commuting but building an Urban mtb=hybrid as we speak/type/waste time on forum…

Hardtail frame-leftover 4.5 lbs heavy alu Trek, 26″ slicks 1.35 and some std leftover bars, seatpost and old deore mechs and bits lying around.
    Jam in a steel fork.

Just took apart the deore mech-hope the old thing works…crap everywhere on the dinner table…

Have a rear cycle carrier to put on too! Just need some mud guards…

It will look like this I hope:

Looks nothing like it but a horrid hybrid! ahhg!

Comes in handy when the road bike needs servicing or just something cheap and different. Yeah it will keep up with roadies on a flat but thats not fun, it’s the cruising and agile in the city and hopping onto kerbs and weaving through traffic safely and decent brakes.

Whatever makes you smile on 2 wheels.

GaryLake
    Free Member

* No traffic lights involved…

* I’d had a rubbish day at work so needed something to “vent” my frustrations on…

* It was a choice between sitting on thier back wheels or going past, as, on the uphills I kept catching up and freewheeling…

* I’m sure they were jut warming up but it made me feel special for about 20 mins

Dooge- it was on the way back from “Bridgy”

So why make a thread out of it like it was some kind of conquest.

Also, big to big is only an issue really on triples.

brakes
    Free Member

what people seem to forget is that riding in FUN! and to compete against others is FUN! most people who commute will have had a shite day at work and will want to work off some frustration and have a bit of FUN! on the way home
    so what if the other riders aren’t competiting, they’re still in the game 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Commuting fun!’ is closed to new replies.