• This topic has 18 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by lunge.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Commuting fun?
  • Pz_Steve

Help needed from the hive-mind.

I’m looking for a new commuter bike (for a 27-mile, hilly, bumpy, rural round trip). Note “looking for”, rather than “need”. I’ve got a perfectly functional Trek CrossRip, which ticks all the boxes on my “must have” list. The thing is, it’s just so dull….

The things I won’t do without are simple: drop bars, disc brakes, and rack and guard mounts. The problem is, I also want a fun ride. Something a bit racey-handling, which will egg me on to breaking point just for the fun of it. This is what the CrossRip is missing.

I’ve looked at the Genesis Equilibrium range (I’m a bit of a Genesis fanboi), but I’m worried that the geo might be a little too relaxed.

I’m not too worried about what my next bike weighs on the scales, as long as it has that zip and throw-aroundableness. Something which makes me hunt for more corners on my way home.

The bikes which have caught my eye so far are the Condor Fratello Disc and the Sabbath September AR-1 Disc (which is right at / beyond the top of my price range). I like that they’re from small, British (I think?) manufacturers, but most of all they sound like they’ll be what I’m looking for.

Does anyone have any experience of either (or preferably both), who could give some advice? Or of course, some suggestions as to what I might be missing…

teadrinker
    Free Member

No real world experience on this but how about a Cotic Escapade?

schmiken

No disc, but I recently got a Kinesis 4S and love it.

jimmy

I thought kinesis were bringing out a disc version at some point

Core Bike Show 2015: Kinesis unveil 4S Disc and GF_Ti Disc

BigDummy
    Free Member

Whyte Suffolk?

I had one for a while. The handling was pretty snappy, and it’s light enough to be genuinely quite quick.

🙂

EDIT: Could get it some quite fancy wheels and still have room in the budget by the sound of it. 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I really like the look of the genesis vagabond for a bit of all round action.

lunge

I had the very same dilemma as you, had a functional but dull Kaffenback for commuting, perfect for the job but horrible uninspiring. In the end I just started using my old summer road bike for the commute and accepted that I’ll have a wet arse and eat brake blocks. It’s much more enjoyable, a bit quicker and I actually want to ride it.

However, if you do want to spend money, how about a PX London Road, seems a lot of bike for the money.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Equilibrium not bad, not light thought, and I do htink that’s a main factor here.

Just sent through the same process and got a CAADX, liking it.

larrydavid
    Free Member

Van Nicholas Yukon – everything you want except discs: http://www.vannicholas.com/8/Yukon/bike.aspx

Old skool fast touring/audax/club run geometry: It’s a cm in the top tube shorter and a cm longer in the stays than a race bike and 1/2 a degree slacker on the HT, but it retains a short headtube so you can get low. It still feels pretty quick but with a bit more versatility. The frame is a claimed 1500g so not featherweight, but not too bad.

Looks great too.

I know you want discs, but I’ve found the longer reach brakes on mine give excellent stopping power. On the other hand, they do a tailor made so perhaps you could get disk tabs added as well as your own geo.

scotroutes

Giant Defy? Why bother getting another all-purpose bike when you already have one?

Del

some lighter wheels and maybe tubeless the trek? looks like a nice bike to me. reduce the rotating weight and it might feel a lot more sprightly.
    of course this is no help if you just have a case of n+1… 😀

shermer75
    Free Member

Have you already tried different tyres and/or wheels on the Trek?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I have an equilibrium and it is a relaxed position – I shortened the stem from the stock by 10mm for less barge like handling.

I also have an older croix-de-fer (54cm vs 56cm equilibrium) and it is a much ‘quicker’ handler and more fun – and a decent build is only 2lbs heavier than the equilibrium although stock builds are like tanks.

benp1

I thought your CrossRip would have worked well for you

Can you divert to an off road route at all?

Pz_Steve

Thanks for the replies folks. You’re right, Del and shermer75, I guess I should spend some time refining the Trek first. It’d be a lot cheaper than a new bike (and easier to pass undetected by the boss), although on the downside it wouldn’t scratch the n-plus-1 itch.

Regarding disc breaks, I just like them as there are two steep, long (enough) descents on my commute where you need to scrub off a lot of speed half way down, and I love being able to do this just using my little fingers, while riding on the hoods. I know you can only deploy as much stopping power as you have traction, but I like being able to do it with less effort!!

Thanks for the thoughts – I’ll report back!

Pz_Steve

Of course, now the question becomes “What upgrades to turn a somewhat uninspiring ride into a fleet-footed missile?”.

Actually, just a change from “steady and dull” to “steady but fun” would be fine for me. It doesn’t have to be the fastest thing on 2 wheels… let’s face it, I’m not.

whitestone
    Free Member

I do a similar round trip to yourself though it’s mostly downhill on the way to work and uphill on the way back 😕

Currently using an On-One Pompetamine which handles it OK including the canal tow path which is about a third of the distance. It’s not an inspiring ride though but it is dependable which is what you need for your commute – workhorse not thoroughbred. I don’t think On-One do it anymore.

I’d go with disk brakes not so much for the stopping power but more that there’s so much crap on the roads that you won’t be wearing the rims out. One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is a dynamo hub – hugely practical for commuting as there’s no way you don’t have lights to hand. You can run front and back lights off the hub, newer lights have a “stand” facility so the lights don’t go out as you wait at traffic lights for example.

If you are a Genesis fanboi then maybe the CdA?

pictonroad

Sounds like your ideal bike has just come in:

New Genesis Datum

lunge

Pz_Steve, new wheels and tyres are the first thing that spring to mind. You’ll save some weight on the wheels which will definitely help and replacing the tyres with something a little more lively will too.

After that it’s pretty marginal though in my experience, the stock finishing kit on these kinds of bikes tends to be heavy so you may save a fair chunk of weight on saddles, post, stem and bars.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Commuting fun?’ is closed to new replies.