• This topic has 103 replies, 58 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by aP.
Viewing 24 posts - 81 through 104 (of 104 total)
  • Commuting by train from Birmingham to London for £16k pa ?
  • piemonster

Better still would be a turd-free sundae

😆

D0NK

It’s not trolling to ask what portion of a person’s tax gets spent on rail fares – the rail subsidy costs the taxpayer £4bn annually.

how much gets spent on motorways? plenty of people don’t use motorways. Or are you going to mention something about “they are for the good of society/nation”, I’d say same applies to public transport

Just to line the pockets of Virgin and First Group

I agree with that bit, renationalise them then

(just seemed a bit too close to the “anything spent on private transport = good, anything spent on public transport = bad” mantra)

nealglover
    Free Member

Well, maybe – but even more desirable would be their current work day but without four hours of commuting! That’s like saying eating a sundae with a small sheep turd on top is better that eating a whole dog turd. Better still would be a turd-free sundae.

But the situation is that they work in London.
    They used to live there but didn’t want to anymore.
    They wanted to live in York.
    And now they do.
    They also paid off the mortgage in the move to a bigger/nicer house.
    And they only spend an extra 45 mins or so out of the house each day.
    And no turds of any sort involved.
    Not a bad result ? 😉

eugeo81
    Free Member

I used to commute Birmingham to London once a week for work. I used to work in Birmingham City centre office and for some reason management thought it was a good idea for me to work in Covent Garden once a week to bond with the London team. I hated commuting silly hours. Luckily I now work for myself from home doing the same job and do not commute to any office!

geetee1972
    Free Member

And as it happens, they both earn well in excess of 200k a year.

For doing 10-5 each day?

I don’t know any job that pays that well and has that easy a life and definitely not in the Kings Cross area unless they are extremely high class prostitutes.

michaelbowden

geetee1972 – Member

And as it happens, they both earn well in excess of 200k a year.

For doing 10-5 each day?

I don’t know any job that pays that well and has that easy a life and definitely not in the Kings Cross area unless they are extremely high class prostitutes.

To be fair, they’re in the office for that time. I bet my arse they’re working on the train too.

geetee1972
    Free Member

To be fair, they’re in the office for that time. I bet my arse they’re working on the train too.

I’m sure they are but I’d still question they’re being productive enough to justify such a big salary.

It doesn’t add up. I’m not saying that the example isn’t true, but I am saying it’s not sustainable from the point of view of the job and their employer.

nealglover
    Free Member

I don’t know any job that pays that well and has that easy a life and definitely not in the Kings Cross area

I’m valeting his Bentley at the weekend.

I’ll be sure to tell him that some random on the Internet doesn’t know his job exists.

He’ll be gutted I’m sure.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Neal I said I didn’t doubt the example was true, I just questioned the sustainability of the job. Why would someone pay someone else that much for so little work.

nealglover
    Free Member

If I knew that I wouldn’t be Valeting his car. I’d be after his job.

I know he’s been in the same job for at least seven years though, (when he moved to York) so I guess your Sustainability forecast is a bit off ?

stumpy01

Premier League footballers earn way more than that on an hourly basis…

Their salaries are pretty sustainable to the clubs (even if their knee joints aren’t).

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t know any job that pays that well and has that easy a life

You aren’t moving in the right circles then obviously. Sounds like there’s a lot you don’t know about life! 🙂

jota180
    Free Member

Their salaries are pretty sustainable to the clubs

Are you sure?

There’s some pretty high wage bills in the PL
    Some clubs have a wage bill that’s pretty close to their turnover and in the case of Man City, substantially more

I’m not sure I’d ever call that sustainable

geetee1972
    Free Member

I know he’s been in the same job for at least seven years though, (when he moved to York) so I guess your Sustainability forecast is a bit off ?

Well clearly!

So out of curiosity what does he do?

mudshark
    Free Member

Any idea why they picked York?

nedrapier

Again though – you’re assuming you (as in ‘one’) can get a job paying enough to drop £22k on a season ticket, (I’d want £200k+ to be spending that on a whim), and still only work 10-4.

I bet my arse they’re working on the train too.

Exactly. I’d quite happily doze for an hour, have a coffee, look out of the window, then work for an hour each way. Probably get free wifi in 1st class? I imagine it’s quite a productive time to get stuff done without being pestered.

And knowing someone who’s recently broken through the partner barrier at A Well Known Management Consultancy, it’s expected that he’s not going to be in the office as much, but as long as he delivers against his targets, all’s well.

stumpy01

Jota180 – define sustainable, I guess.

Premier league has been around for yrs, high salaries have been around for years, not that many clubs have gone under.

So, it has been sustained for x yrs and I doubt many players will be taking pay cuts anytime soon.

I have pretty much zero knowledge/interest in football though so perhaps this is a naive outsider’s view…?

nedrapier

I spent a few years commuting into Liverpool street from Colchester and Wivenhoe. Expensive, but it was factored in at the start, so it works out. Now living in London and spending more on increased rent than I the decrease int eh train ticket.

I can leave the office at 5 on the bike and be at home half an hour later. Which is nice.

I used be able to leave the office and 5 and be home at ten past 6 (on a not-frequent-enough good day) having had a snooze, read a book, had a beer, looked out of the window. I’d be in a beautiful and serenely quiet part of the world, with an hours fun (but flat) singletrack from the door. I could meet our friends who lived round the corner, ride up teh estuary path and have a fire, picnic and a bottle of wine and watch the sunset, the birds and the boats go by. Woke up at weekends, that’s where I was. Long way from decent mountainbiking though!

The trains drove me potty in the end, and the commute was more tiring than I realised.

In London for now, and enjoying it, but I miss waking up in the countryside.

nealglover
    Free Member

So out of curiosity what does he do?

Not 100% sure, but he’s previously spent time in South Africa and Russia (working) so I guessed it was something to do with mining, but could be anything to be honest.
    We only chat about stuff, he’s a Client so I don’t dig for info (even though I might want to)

Any idea why they picked York?

They love it, visited loads of times (as many people do) and decided to move here as it was less than 2 hours direct train to get to work.
    Also very into cars so having Elvington Airfield and York Raceway probably helps.

geetee1972
    Free Member

We only chat about stuff, he’s a Client so I don’t dig for info (even though I might want to)

Would be interesting to find out. You’re very restrained Neal! I would be all over trying to find out more about him 😀 But then I am a nosy ****.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Does it get better the further you commute ?

I did laurencekirk to dyce for a year . Not long enough to get into a movie or any work and it drove me spare with the fact it was an hour of wasted time each way with the walk at each end.

dribbling
    Free Member

This thread’s making me think about looking for jobs in London…(I only live 15 mins from Leeds station)..

konabunny
    Free Member

Not 100% sure, but he’s previously spent time in South Africa and Russia (working) so I guessed it was something to do with mining,

Schlumberger has a big office in KX.

aP
    Free Member

Painfully it takes me nearly 3hrs a day just to commute from west to east London. It’s about the same whether I cycle or train it, although if I cycle it I get mileage, so that works out at £120+ a month, which is nice.

Viewing 24 posts - 81 through 104 (of 104 total)

The topic ‘Commuting by train from Birmingham to London for £16k pa ?’ is closed to new replies.