Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • Commuting Advice Please
  • simonlovesrocks
    Free Member

Commuting advice , just looked out side and am now dreading the ride home, 15miles in the cold wet weather. Boo .

Basically i need to kit myself and the bike out for winter.

Curently its a standard road bike.

What tyres are best (mostly smooth but some pretty round surfaces and drain covers everywhere) ?

What light weight water proof ?

Tip ????

joemarshall
    Free Member

Mudguards are the most important thing, make much more of a difference to how wet you get than any waterproof, and are quite a cheap upgrade. Lights obviously. Reflective tape is nice too (get it from Halfords).

I use the same tyres as always, 23mm GP4000 S. As long as it is something with a little puncture resistance that works okay in the wet, and you look where you're riding it's okay.

I use a cheapish altura windproof (cost about £20 I think, maybe 30) rather than a waterproof. If it really pisses down I get wet, but it keeps the wind off so I don't get cold, and I don't sweat too much in it, like I do in the fancy goretex etc.

Joe

ourmaninthenorth

Cold? It's not so cold yet.

If you can fit full mudguards, do. If not, race blades or those Crudcather jobs might do a bit to keep the spray off you.

Tyres wise, I've currently got an odd hybrid of a Conti Ultra Gatorskin on the back (25c) and a Vittoria Rubino (23c) on the front.

If you can fit a 25c tyre, you'll get a little more comfort. I find the Vittoria's pretty good (ideal winter tyre is the Pavé, but that's a bit pricy as a commuter tyre). Try Conti 4 Seasons also. Run then a bit softer.

No such thing as a light weight waterproof, IMO. I tend to ride in a gilet and arm warmers in the winter, and sling on a showerproof jacket if it's raining. It keeps the worst out.

glenp
    Free Member

Yep. Mudguards.

Regular tyres, whatever you got. Check pressures every few days – most flats are pinches off stones and edges.

Don't ride on drain covers, or any crappy bit of road – look ahead and take the road you need to keep safe.

If you need to put waterproofs on just slow down (loads) so you don't get too sweaty. It will make a surprisingly small difference to the journey time.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Hey Simon,

warmth is more important than dryness, through the summer I just got changed at work if it rained, through the winter depending on how long/cold it is geting wet is probably not a good idea. Probably only got rained on once a month at the most though (but i get to pick and choose my stat finish time so can avoid the showers).

Tires, whatevers on there, i've got some shwabble CX tires on my touring bike ATM for some extra comfort as the roads quite cut up in places, not great for cornering though.

I just take a days clothes at a time in my backpack and have a quick wipe down with babywipes when I get in. But I only have to do 3 miles each way.

Lots of reflective tape and lights (2 Q5 LED lamps, 2 flashing cateyes on my chest strap, blackburn mars on the bike and 2 catey flashers on the backpack, and cars still claim not to see me!)

trail_rat
    Free Member

mudguards (do you see a theme here ? )

a rack and a pannier if you find your self needing to carry a bag.

I arrive so much less sweaty without a bag – sometimes i ride into work on my MTB and have to use a bag – even one with an elevated back still makes me sweat.

Other than that make sure its comfy.

IF you sweat no waterproof will breath enough.

Eg i bought 2 endura gridlocks – one for me and one for the missus. we were riding side by side in torrential rain – i was dry under and she wetted hers out from the inside with sweat.

Welcome – its a theraputic end to a stressful day (even if i do commute through the city now ! ) and means i arrive home pretty much stress free

Surfr
    Free Member

I really don't get the mudguard thing. If it's raining, I'll be in waterproof 3/4 shorts and a waterproof high vis jacket. What benefit do the guards add?

ski
    Free Member

Apart from decent mud guards, worth getting toasty waterproof gloves and over socks, bit ott for this time of year, but that's where the cold gets to me.

As trail_rat mentions, I am a sweaty bugger, so no amount of water proof kit will keep me dry, saying that, I bought a new Montane Event waterproof jacket cheap this year from TKmax of all places.

Hoping it might breath a bit better this winter?

monkeychild
    Free Member

I drive in on a monday with a weeks worth of work wear. Mudguards are a must I don't get anywhere near as drenched now 😆 I wear a softshell as it's warm and showerproof, but I have a gore tex paclite if it hoofs it down. I use a carridice saddlebag for my day to day stuff i.e lunch , undies tools etc

soobalias
    Free Member

mudguards, winterboots, waterproof gloves, waterproof jacket, 3/4 bib tights – the fleecy lined ones, buff, reflective tape all over seatstays & cranks & bits on your lid front and rear, 2 x rear lights, proper front light, emergency front light.

ok so that is only for about 6 weeks, I scale up to and down from that list as required. Its really rare to get rained on in actual fact.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i used to ride 20 miles each way 3 days a week on a road bike with no guards wearing the waterproof shorts and top ….

when i moved it dawned on me that i actually got wet from the road more often than i got rained on ….

guards fitted and ive only actually been soaked from above once despite riding in in the "rain" 5 or 6 times in the last 3 weeks …

glenp
    Free Member

Surfr – clearly you haven't tried full mudguards! The difference is massive – you won't go back once you realise just how much crap your bike has been throwing up on to you without mudguards.

Good point above – the road stays wet for ages.

zaskar
    Free Member

Surfr-waterproofs may help but m'guards stop spray and most dirt, muck and grit of your clothes and luggage.

I have Endura stealth pants and jacket-with mud streaks-looks like I had diarrhea and keeps wet longer.

Lights and mud guards are great.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I really don't get the mudguard thing. If it's raining, I'll be in waterproof 3/4 shorts and a waterproof high vis jacket. What benefit do the guards add?

Because a lot of the time it isn't raining when you actually are riding but the roads are still wet, so you'll still get soaked unless you plan to put waterproofs on whenever the roads are wet.
    Plus your feet won't get soaked and you'll also get less spray onto your face.

trail_rat
    Free Member

yeah full guards keep so much crap off the bike also ….

i see alot of high end road bikes sans guards up here that people commute on and front mechs are almost always siezed and the brakes and the lower headset race…

sax_widby
    Free Member

'man up' and get back to sheffield. I commute to rotherham on the dolan and i wish i had mudguards. as for tyres, what about this…

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-26-roadcommuting-tyres

rich

crazy-legs

Mudguards keep all the road spray off: it's that which contains all the grit and grime off the road surface, the diesel residues which wreck clothing.
    Actual rain is usually reasonably clean and as trail_rat mentions, you often avoid the rain itself but have to contend with the wet roads.

Other hints – all the spare clothing you take to work needs to be wrapped in plastic bags. Ditto with any food. Always carry a waterproof. I have a little bag of tools and a pump which lives in my commuting rucksack so I'm never without it.

Surfr
    Free Member

I have tried full guards.

This was my first commuter:

Heavyweight steel monster:

But then I went lightweight

And I honestly don't really notice the difference. In Wales, when it rains, you know about it, regardless of guards. Wear effective clothing instead.

I'm going to start wearing shades though as I took the long way home last night down some tiny back lanes and seemed to be getting hit by flies at 30MPH all the time. One in the eye would have been nasty.

joemarshall
    Free Member

If it rains on you and you have mudguards on, you get just the rain that is falling now on you.

If it rains and you don't have mudguards, you get all the rain that has fallen for the last 4 hours or so, sprayed up your back / in your face.

Not wearing mudguards makes it like it is raining about 10 times as hard in terms of how much water gets onto you, and the water that does get onto you isn't clean rain water, it is minging road dirt water. A lot of the time, when it's only a bit of a shower, you don't even need to faff with waterproofs. You don't get a wet arse unless it rains really hard and horizontally. I don't think I've used waterproof trousers once this year, and my commute is 16 miles each way, so I can't avoid the rain. I can't remember getting a wet arse at all.

Basically you can spend £20-30 on mudguards, which you fit and then leave on your commute bike, or you can spend £50 on waterproof shorts, £100 on a waterproof jacket, which you have to keep washing all the time after they get covered in road muck. Even if you do want all the fancy waterproof gear, the mudguards will make it last longer and stay cleaner as it doesn't get grit all over it.

Joe

glenp
    Free Member

They aren't very long mudguards, and they aren't set in the ideal place – honestly, with prop guards set up nice the difference is massive. Plus the number of days that waterproofs are needed is tiny – you will be wearing sweaty clothes on days that the roads are wet but the rain isn't actually coming down.

2tyred

has anyone mentioned mudguards? 🙂

I use two different bikes for commuting – a 'bad weather' ss conversion with 700c wheels and full guards, and a 'better weather' fixed gear with SKS raceblades (it had full guards but they were a bit tight through the rear stays and I snapped two before giving up) which I take off in prolonged periods of better weather.

You still get wet with mudguards, but your clothes don't get filthy.

My commute's part towpath, so I have tyre sizes between 32 and 35 and at the moment use (between the two bikes) Conti Countryrides which are surprisingly good, Maxxis Overdrive and Schwalbe Marathon. I'm always late, so cannot be bothered with punctures. You lose a bit of speed with these tyres, but I'd rather that than be fixing punctures.

Gary_M
    Free Member

As just about every one else has said a set of full guards, sks, make a huge difference. I wouldn't commute without them.

For cold winter days I found a gare skull cap made a huge difference to warmth and I've ridden in temps of -10 on my 20 mile commute and been warm. And a pair of merino glove liners under windroof gloves were great. No gloves I've found keep rain out properly.

I bought a gore fusion jacket last year, expensive but incredibly waterprof and breathable – can't wait to wear it again.

I usually wear gore waterproof shorts and find merino knee warmaers enough for anything but the extremely cold days.

Overshoes are good too, but something like endura mt500 that doesn't fall apart after a few 'foot down at lights' moments.

Used conti gp 4seasons last year and found them great on everything but frost/ice.

Leave what you can at work – I drive in once a week and only carry food daily and that fits in my jersey pockets. Tools etc are in a large saddle pack.

It's great commuting all through the year though, riding in the dark all the time takes a bit of getting used to every year but I love riding across the moor in the depths of winter.

Surfr
    Free Member

OK I'll call your bluffs 🙂 Willing to try again. Anyone know of a guard suitable for 26×1.2" slicks on an MTB frame as above?

trail_rat
    Free Member

sks 26" guards

simonlovesrocks
    Free Member

Calm down boy's .

Yes mudgaurds will be fitted
    Yes new tyers are needed i running uber slim no grip in the wet road tyers.
    Got my self some sid winter boots so that should keep my feet toasty

I just take my hydro pack with a shirt and trousers in rest of it gets left at work.

No chance of been back up in sheffield well not till next year at the earlyist (single track down here is top though)

glenp
    Free Member

Slim-ness of tyre doesn't mean less grip in the wet, necessarily. Rubber compound and quality of tyre makes the difference. Tread doesn't do much on a bike tyre at normal road widths.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

ditto, I commued in all weather on conti GP4000's and supersonic tubes, not a cheep option, and probably not the most puncture resistant, but never suffered from grip problems. Only went for CX tyres out of tight fistedness (£30 a pair Vs £55) and comfort over the rougher bits of road.

breatheeasy
    Free Member
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

what mudguards for CX tyres?

Schwable CX's (700×30)

AndyP
    Free Member

Surfr – clearly you haven't tried full mudguards! The difference is massive – you won't go back once you realise just how much crap your bike has been throwing up on to you without mudguards.

I did. Commuting bike came with SKS full length ones. Quite pointless. If I minded getting wet, I'd buy a waterproof, move somewhere dry, or take up an indoor sport.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Fair enough but I would hardly call full guards 'quite pointless'. I don't mind getting wet when it's raining, but I do mind my feet getting sokaed from tyre spray and I mind my bike, my clothes, my face, my glasses getting covered in grit salt and all the other crap that gets sprayed off the road.

I don't have an issue with rain from above.

AndyP
    Free Member

I do mind my feet getting sokaed from tyre spray and I mind my bike, my clothes, my face, my glasses getting covered in grit salt and all the other crap that gets sprayed off the road.

I don't. Hence mudguards being pointless IME. If there's water on the road, it'll get sprayed up by cars anyway. Unless you travel in a little bubble, protected from 360 degrees, you're going to get wet.

BigDummy
    Free Member

As well as mudguards, a huge gurt mudflap for the bottom of the front guard is a big help with keeping feet dry.

I'm a big fan of the mudguard. If you're riding 10 miles, fast in all weathers then I can see you're not necesarily feeling a lot of benefit. It's when you're riding 2 miles to a meeting and it rained earlier in the day, or you're going to the pub or whatever that you really can't do without them. At that point you do mind getting wet, and you just don't get that dirty spray line up your back with full guards on. 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

Each to their own but I've tried with and without and I see a point to full guards. Soaking wet feet when it's not actually raining pisses me off, fitting guards prevents this. Even when its really heavy rain I don't go home caked in crap off the road even with spray off cars, whcih to be honest unless they hit a big puddle, it's minimal.

AndyP
    Free Member

Fair enough, different people have different views. Just pointing out the ridiculousness of a statement like 'you won't go back once you realise just how much crap your bike has been throwing up on to you without mudguards'

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yeh but the majority of folk aren't as hard as you 😉

20 miles each covered in filth and spray off the road, no ta.

AndyP
    Free Member

nothing to do with being hard, really. I have a problem with large trucks trying to kill me, or going down a big rocky downhill fast. Others don't, which clearly makes me a wuss. A bit of water, on the other hand, doesn't really bother me. 😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

that was tongue in cheek btw and there was a smiley – stupid website

glenp
    Free Member

Pointless? Just what is the DISadvantage? If the bike had them, why get rid of them?

There's plenty of "ridiculous" statements on here from time to time (some of them possibly by me) but to call that ridiculous is, well, ridiculous.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

*Drags thread kicking and screeming back on topic*

What mud guards for CX tires? (700×30+nobbles)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Commuting Advice Please’ is closed to new replies.