• This topic has 49 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by drlex.
Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • commuter kit
  • nicko74

“banana in case it’s windy” comment

It was an excellent idea!

(admittedly, makes a heck of a lot more sense when mtbing)

takisawa2

A rack, pannier & full guards just makes it more civilised.
    Muc-Off Dry Shower works well if you’ve no actual showers, & Arrid XX body spray is good too.
    Cheap babies nappies are good for stuffing inside wet shoes, they draw the moisture out, but tissue / newspaper works well if changed regularly. Overshoes are your bestest friend though.
    Keep the drivetrain well oiled too.
    And tone down the speed for the last mile or so, to cool down a bit.
    My shirts get folded around a magazine, so they slip inside the laptop bag, once folded they can be rolled if needed, & come out pretty crease less. Trousers, again, fold along the crease line.
    Leave a set of shoes at work.

Making do, with no guards & a rucksacks etc, is ok but single digit temp wet commutes are that more bearable with the right kit.

rp16v
    Free Member

hate carrying rucksacks on tbe road bike espesh when commuting when i get all hotso its just emergency bits il be carrying

Gary_M
    Free Member

If you have a dedicated commuter bike and you’re riding all year round then you will want to fit mudguards. You’ll soon get over your irrational hatred.

garthmerenghi
    Free Member

If you are planning to commute right through the winter then tyres with some sort of puncture protection are a godsend and a light on your helmet is not just useful for helping people see you but also for seeing what your doing if you have to fix a puncture or mechanical problem. I was really surprised how many punctures I got during my 1st winter of commuting. I can go all summer without a single puncture but come winter you can easily pick up 2 or 3 on a commute.

rp16v
    Free Member

If you have a dedicated commuter bike and you’re riding all year round then you will want to fit mudguards. You’ll soon get over your irrational hatred.

not as of yet iv slicked my cross bike while i sort a drivetrain for the roadbike which will be a full time commuter its a fair bit lighter and faster

looks like some 4seasons may be on my first staff purchase then

sc-xc

I ride a hub geared pompetemine with full mudguards and rack. Slime tubes in some kind of toughened tyres. Two pannier bags:

Bag 1: laptop, charger, mouse all in neoprene sleeve. Work notebook and whatever paperwork I’m having to carry around. Pre ironed shirt folded round towel (I take a small one in every day, they stink the office out otherwise) with underwear and tie – all in waterproof bag.

Bag 2: lunchbox, some old waterproof trousers for inter office rides during the day, small toolkit with 2 tubes, multi tool, levers, patches, spanner. Pump. Very small lock. Everything else like bb, pass, wallet, phone, etc.

Moving to panniers after years of carrying heavy laptop on back has been a revelation.

I leave a couple of suits, pairs of shoes and wash kit at work. And have just ordered a brompton to leave in the office for journeys during the day.

Agree that preparation is everything. I lay everything out the night before…like many above I have forgotten things (cuff links the main offender)

Kit wise, old padded shorts, humvees (3/4 all year), whatever Jersey I put my hands on, showerproof coat. As above, spend money on really good winter gloves if you feel the cold…have a couple of buffs ready for the cold months, and sealskin socks can be good unless you go through flooded roads.

I enjoy it more in the winter…love the feeling of being up against it.

kimbers

Got some marathon plus tyres no punctures in 4 years doing 100 miles a week in London
    Muktitool fresh pants socks T-shirt + lunch
    Keep trousers wash kit towel shoes in work

njee20
    Free Member

looks like some 4seasons may be on my first staff purchase then

Yep, good choice. I got one flat on mine all winter. Get some clip on mudguards for winter though, not just for commuting, all winter riding.

drlex
    Free Member

I ride a hub geared pompetemine with full mudguards and rack

I endorse this message; add a front hub dynamo and you’re golden.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘commuter kit’ is closed to new replies.