Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Come on Snow! Just a little more and I can go home and fat bike!
  • grenosteve
    Free Member

Sat in the office, just waiting for the word to go home.   🙁   Itching to get out in the fresh snow on the fatty!

Getting in was, interesting.. Modern wide car tyres are crap in snow (would have fat biked into work but I left my shoes, helmet etc.. at work yesterday).  Not looking likely I’ll make it up the hill home in the car, but happy to walk from the bottom.

Post any photos of your fatties in the snow to get me motivated!

karlp

Did Dalby on the FB last night. Too much snow was hard work, very beautiful and fun tho.

No photo evidence.

Only just made it back to York due to snow on roads Inc. A64.

rOcKeTdOg

momo

No fat bike here, but I’m going to give my B+ bike a run later, need to see if I can get LittleMissMomo to nursery on it tomorrow

zippykona

My dilemma is fat bike or normal bike with ice spikers.

NewRetroTom

Weather warning upgraded to red for us now!

I rode in from Penicuik to Edinburgh on the Moonlander this morning. The ride home could be a bit more snowy!

zilog6128

Dunno about a fat bike, I can however confirm that an eMTB in fresh, deep snow is the most awesome, funnest thing ever (and not even remotely hard work lol)

momo

I can confirm that B+ does not equal fat!

And of course MrsMomo had to be stood there when the front wheel washed out on an iced over wheel track. Thankfully I landed on the deeper stuff to the side so nothing more than bruised pride

grenosteve
    Free Member

I did get to go home at lunch on Wednesday, and did get out on the fat bike.  It was a laugh, but hard work!

I found some really powdery deep snow that not even the fat bike could float over, just kept sinking in then washing out.  Everywhere else was ok though with a few inches of nice fresh snow.

I did some downhill singletrack with jumps and berms etc… but wasn’t brave enough to find out where the fat bike’s traction on snow ended.  If we had more snow I’d like to learn to get the most out of it, but considering it was -6 and no one was around, I was happy to enjoy a bimble (and the awesome views) and not risk crashing and hurting myself.

By the time I got home, the sun and temperature was going down, my water was all frozen, the bike was noisy frozen lump and the old legs where running out of steam.  The office was closed yesterday, so spent the day recovering, although my legs still hurt today.

Was properly good though.  🙂

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

@zippykona Sounds a very similar dilemma to me, albeit my options are all on the same bike!

I’ve got 4″ Mission Commands. 4″ Jumbo Jims and a single 4.4″ Jumbo Jim.

Or as currently setup, FatNotFat 29er wheelset with 700x38mm 45Nrth Gravdals, with 35/60PSI at present.

Yesterday on back streets (Wynter/Hatley) in Bitterne, riding a line that I would expect to normally be between old car tyre tracks was absolutely fine, perhaps even slightly fun. But as soon as I rode over hidden compacted ruts from car tyres that drove before the heavy snow downfall yesterday, I felt just the right side of a knife edge in terms of grip, with just the odd split-second of panic.

Maybe I need to lower the rear pressure from ~60PSi towards 50? I’m just a bit concerned about snakebite punctures, given how much weight is over the back wheel of the Wazoo.

In fresh snow, fat tyres at a low pressure might not be too bad, but I’m not convinced JJs are going to up to much and as much as the Mission Commands have more knobs, they are not any taller.

It seems quite ironic that I have a fatbike, designed originally for snowy conditions, but as such conditions are so rare in Southampton I have no experience to help decide what to run! 😆

NormalMan

@ grenosteve

Sorry to drift (pun intended) off topic. But I’d got your feedback on the LoveMud bars the other day. I’ve just fitted mine this morning. Is that the Alpkit drop bear bag you are using?

dovebiker

Maybe I need to lower the rear pressure from ~60PSi towards 50?

For real?  That’s pretty pointless on a fatbike. I was running 3-4 psi yesterday

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

For real?  That’s pretty pointless on a fatbike. I was running 3-4 psi yesterday

The 60PSI drop to 50 was referring to 38mm Gravdal tyres I was using yesterday on my FatNotFat 29er wheelset.

Since when did 4″ + fatbike tyres recommend a tyre pressure of 60PSI? 😆

whitestone
    Free Member

A ride into town saw me riding past a stuck council gritter lorry! 🙂 They weren’t happy so I thought it best not to take a photo. I was quite surprised that they even thought about clearing that particular bit of road as it’s not needed for access to property, they’d gone past the last house.

It’s actually quite warm now, just the wind that’s keeping things chilly.

zilog6128

How well do fat bikes cope with the very fine, dry, deep snowdrifts you get when, for example, the wind is blowing snow off a field and onto the trail all day? Or is a thin tyre still better for cutting through the drift to get purchase on the harder snow underneath?

whitestone
    Free Member

Once you get snow that’s approaching hub depth (i.e. about half wheel diameter) then everything struggles as you are pushing into it rather than over it. Generally though fatter tyres aren’t as twitchy and are a bit more forgiving than skinny tyres, you do need to get the pressures right and you might be letting air out/pumping the tyres up to adjust to conditions.

kcr
    Free Member

I had a good 3 hours yesterday on old school 26 X 2.2. The snow conditions were great for riding, apart from a few exposed sections where the wind had built big drifts. In a couple of places it was hub deep on the way out, but knee deep on the return!

gribble
    Free Member

I have some ice spiker  tyres sitting in the garage, but not sure if I can be biffed to fit them. Always happens, never get them fitted in time. Despite all the weather reports the Surrey and West Sussex borders hardly had anything, then it all came at once last night and today.

I have got a shorty on the front, which will probably be fine for mucking around in the snow. Just the road bits that I am not so sure about.

fossy

Ice Spikers today.  Loved it. The sheet ice is the best.

thisisnotaspoon

How well do fat bikes cope with the very fine, dry, deep snowdrifts you get when, for example, the wind is blowing snow off a field and onto the trail all day? Or is a thin tyre still better for cutting through the drift to get purchase on the harder snow underneath?

Tried exactly this last night. Trail crosses between two fields so all the snow blows off those and gets trapped in the longer grass around the trail so it was over a ft deep.

No one got through.  The fat bikes reached a point where you can’t pedal any more, the skinny bikes just crashed.

It’s about 1/4 the pressure of a normal tyre (contact patch twice as wide, twice as long), so its the slightly harder snow underneath that you’re riding on where the skinny tyres are still trying to dig into that.

When you see fat bikes in Alaska they’re riding on groomed snow, the same compacted stuff you get on ski resort pistes.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Went out in the snow on the puffin, at last.  Only found time to do a quick 4K ride but heck it was fun! Only a couple of inches of the white stuff here but the bike just loved it. Felt totally in control. Love these bikes. Great photos.

thisisnotaspoon

Just had a comedy dismount in a drift, came to a standstill, dabbed, went in upto my thigh! Slightly more float than I thought I had!

mucker

It must be a different kind of snow Fat bikes are good in. That was the toughest pedal I have ever experienced.

fasgadh
    Free Member

Get the best out of packed snow – filled up lanes where one vehicle had gone through earlier, or pisted by sledgers.  Also good when there is not so much snow, but enough to make traction with normal tyres an issue – found Wednesday really good.

Snowy beaches were enjoyable too.

Deep soft snow is deep soft snow, but the big tyres often allow the bike to be pushed without it sinking.   The bits of hike a bike are worth it for the grin of the good stuff.

grenosteve
    Free Member

Normal Man,  Yea, that’s the one.  Zips are fiddly and it looks questionable (maybe doesn’t matter on a fat bike!), but it’s great to not having to carry a back pack.  🙂

NewRetroTom

Too much snow at Glentress yesterday.

It was really hard work pushing up through the knee deep snow. The descent was a bit interesting. From the top of Spooky Woods I was able to ride a little bit, then I had to turn off the trail to find steeper lines which were rideable. It felt more like skiing in terms of line choice.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Come on Snow! Just a little more and I can go home and fat bike!’ is closed to new replies.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.