Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Colorado/Utah – who's been?
  • crispo
    Free Member

Just got off the phone with my little brother and he is getting married this summer (last week of August). He lives in the states and his Mrs to be is from Colorado so we are having a week, well just over, in Glenwood Springs. It’s about 40 mins from Aspen so meant to be loads of good riding there. I have seen it’s also less than 3 hours from Moab!!

Needless to say I am incredibly excited! So who has been riding in that part of the world? What’s the best trails? Can I guide myself? Should I take my own bike or hire? Looking to try and sneak in maybe 3 days riding inbetween family commitments!

Please someone tell me my excitement is well justified!

jimmy

Been to Utah, not Colorado. I think I’d prefer the riding in Colorado from what I’ve seen – more alpine style singletrack than rocky desert. Each to their own – Utah was an experience but I wouldn’t go back so for 3 days I’d stay local.

As for trails and guiding no idea, but Mammoth MTN – surely a must?

Shackleton

We went to crested butte (other side of the “hill” to aspen). Absolutely spectacular. To be honest I’d try and fit a ride in before and after the ceremony too. And you’ll see your family some other time. I’d try and tack on some more holiday too, seriously make the most of it. Well worth taking your own bike to get the most out of it. Renting won’t work out any cheaper than flying your own out with BA.

I wrote it up here in this thread, feel free to email me if you want more details. There is a guidebook to the local trails (Aspen side isn’t in there though) and they are perfectly signed so self guiding is a doddle. We were there at the same time as you as were warned off Moab as being way too hot to realistically ride outside of early morning (mid 40s being quoted).

Good route info here:
    http://www.mtbproject.com/directory/166281/denver
    http://www.singletracks.com/Colorado-bike-trails_6.html

Stand out routes in the CB area were 401 and Doctors Park. But all of the trails were as good as the best in the UK and most were better.

gus
    Free Member

Moab as shackleton has said will be very hot at that time of year.
    There is only a really small window early October before the snow comes to Colorado that you can really ride the two.
    However the end of August should be good in Colorado, just watch out for the altitude and the afternoon thunder storms.

spw3

Top timing for this thread. I have to go to Colorado this August as well, family reasons too. We will be studying in manitou springs, anyone ever been?

busydog
    Free Member

I live in New Mexico and have ridden just about everywhere in Colorado except Fruita. Don’t think you can go wrong just about any area. Crested Butte is really great. As mentioned above, in August watch out for the afternoon thunderstorms. If you go out for a morning ride and get back by early afternoon you will likely miss most, but the lightning in the high peaks is pretty scary (and awesome).
    Agree with above that Moab will just be too hot that time of year. Morning rides are OK, but by 11AM it is blazing.

DavidB
    Free Member

I’ve ridden Moab in August, just get up early and ride evenings. There is often a 7am shuttle for the Full Enchilada which is worth it. Just make sure you get over the Salida for the Monarchs Crest, that is all

enmac
    Free Member

I rode Moab, last week in August a few years ago, it was fine, a little hot in the afternoon, but if you do most of your riding in the morning you will survive. The main season starts on Labor Day, which is first Monday in September so you will be just outside peak season.

Shackleton

Just to add a counter voice to doing the Monarch Crest. Yes it is bigger than other routes and has way more down than up but in itself isn’t a fantastic route in my opinion.

We enjoyed pretty much every single other route we did more and didn’t have to drive or book a new hotel just to do it. The views from the summit are pretty good but you could walk up there in under an hour.

Maybe we caught it at a bad time but I wouldn’t rush back to do it again.

metalheart
    Free Member

I rode Fruita at the end of June back in ’08 and I was completely minced after 1.5 hours. 100 deg F, drank my 2 L camelbak completely dry…Mind you starting at midday probably wasn’t the smartest move…. 😳

Also ridden Porc Rim in July, I was lucky to have a bit of cloud cover that day. Scorchio. Do they still make you sign in and out? Day hit Moab temp was 114 F….. August is the hottest month.

I much preferred Crested Butte. My best day ever on a bike was 403/401 for which I will use awesome to described as it truly was. In august I’d go for the cooler higher ground myself.

Would love to do Monarch Crest mind.

dragon
    Free Member

Done some of Fruita, Vail and mostly the Front Range stuff. As others have said I think Moab and Fruita would be too hot at that time of year (unless up very early) and there is no cover for shade in a lot of it.

Not ridden Crested Butte but that would be my first choice.

Beware of the altitude, the heat, the dryness (drink, drink, drink all the time) and the thunderstorms.

missnotax
    Free Member

I’ve ridden in Moab and spent a day in Fruita, Colorado. Moab was without doubt the most amazing riding I have ever done in my life – stunning. I did bust my rear shock on a 27 mile descent though 😉

Would love to do more riding in Colorado – hopefully later this year!

crispo
    Free Member

Looking at a map it’s actually further to Crested Butte than Moab! I think realistically with family commitments any trip over to Moab or Butte would have to be a day trip so would mean riding in the midday sun. So unless it really is that much better would be more inclined to stay round Aspen/Snowmass/Glenwood area. Seems like doing this would be similar to riding in the Alps in terms of uplift on chairlift then long trails.

anyone ridden there?

ampthill

I went to the area back in the day. We cycled from Aspen to Crested Butte as the crow flies its not that far but quite hilly

We didn’t do any day rides from Aspen but I can’t see why there wouldn’t be loads of good routes. Its a nice town as well

I think you are right to be excited

Guiding? I found it easier than in the UK to navigate

Because you will be acclimatizing from the moment you arrive aim to ride after the wedding

Buy the lattitude 40 trail map it will be useful and inspiring

OOps there are 2 now. I expect you want the green one

Latitude 40° recreation topographic maps

Just found this on google, it looks amazing

http://www.aspensnowmass.com/summer-recreation/biking/mountain-bike-trail-map

DavidB
    Free Member

Just to add a counter voice to doing the Monarch Crest. Yes it is bigger than other routes and has way more down than up but in itself isn’t a fantastic route in my opinion.

I loved every inch of it because it is a really out there ride. Day I rode it I was the only rider on the trail and descended in the mist through all sorts of different terrain. sometimes having to work hard, sometimes hooning it on singletrack. It massively appealed to me as it was not a groomed piste like a lot of trails can become. It was a “proper” ride even though the trend was downhill. The owner of my hotel gave me a lift up there for petrol money and it was the perfect icing on a week that included Moab, Fruita and Durango. Next time I am going to properly MTFU and ride up the road as well.

crankboy
    Free Member

I went to colorado springs and rode arround for 11 days . Mostly Cheyenne canyon ?? It was ace we nearly died when a navigational error took us down a dried up stream to the top of a shear drop of what looked like 500 feet and got scared wittless when we realised the sleak gracefull hairy deer was in fact a black bear but it was the best biking I have ever done.

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Lot’s of talk about the “biggest and best” rides, but to be honest you should just explore the Roaring Fork valley as much as you can. It’s a beautiful place with many hidden gems. The Government Trail between Aspen and Snowmass should be your top priority. Late August is a terrible time to be in Moab – it’s a beautiful time to be in the high mountains. If you really need your desert fix then the Lunch Loops trail system in Grand Junction is much closer, much cooler, and equally entertaining.

Aloha Mountain Cyclery in Carbondale (20 minutes from Glenwood) is a lovely shop with a demo fleet and a great sense of humour.

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Just saw your comment on Uplifts. Snowmass is open to bikes in the summer, and they rent bikes at the resort. The other resorts are more aimed at hiking and families, so no uplifts but plenty of XC trails.

Here’s a good short loop from Snowmass village. The village express lift is open in the summer if you want to use that instead of climbing up.

ernie

I was lucky enoughto have spent a couple of summers in Boulder when completing my degree. Basically, you cannot go wrong. Moab is stunning but i got bored after five days there. Fruita is also amzing, spent one day there but moved on as just too dam hot. Moving back east towards denver, winterpark is great, loads of trails there. And then just do a few internet searches to find other trail areas. My advice: hire a mini van and roam. And avoid the thunderstorms, they kick the shit out of UK storms.

rhayter

Lucky enough to ride around Breckenridge and Moab about 15 years ago, in June. Moab was hot (35°) by mid-morning. But the mountains around Breck were superb – alpine meadow, forest singletrack… Just amazing. I’m very jealous that you’re headed to CO! Take heed of the warnings about altitude and storms though. Be prepared for a couple of days on minging headaches and drink loads of water.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Colorado/Utah – who's been?’ is closed to new replies.