Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Cold commute this morning
  • s1m0n
    Free Member

Got down to -4.9C according to my Garmin this morning. No ice though!
    The old tin foil trick kept my toys warm though.
    S

whitestone
    Free Member

I have to say – I chickened out! The car’s thermometer showed -4.5C with us.

joat

“kept my toys warm”

I just accept they’ll shrink a bit. Or did you mean toes?

MrSparkle

-6.5 between Darwen and Bolton. Pretty cowd.

scruff
    Free Member

Some bad driving aswell, had 2 nears in as many miles. Even got shouted at by the first one, after he didn’t look in his frozen up mirrors, I took the moral high ground as it was too cold to shout back.

crazy-legs

-5.5 on the car thermometer as I drove to the station. Missed the earlier train due to the amount of time it took to de-ice the car!

And walking to work from the station was SO cold on my face. It’s a stunning day here though, we were just discussing in the office how nice it’d be to be out MTBing in the Lakes or Peaks on a nice frosty fellside.

s1m0n
    Free Member

Toys could have a whole new meaning! Yep, toes!

mrchrispy

-2 average and -4 minimum in sunny Manchester.
    I was going to do the extended route but figured that’d be pushing my luck on the ice front.

ElVino

I have to say I gave it a skip, cycling home last night along the tow path in the dark was bloody freezing, was feeling hard until I saw the rowers out training

pictonroad

Water bottle froze completely on last night’s ride along with the gears. Most distressing was the completely frozen straps on my shoes! My feet were in agony and I couldn’t get them off.

This is in the Deep South too, thought the house prices might keep the cold away.

shermer75
    Free Member

“The old tin foil trick kept my toys warm though.”

How does this work? Tin foil instead of socks?!?!?

ton

quechua puffa under a windproof. #toastyton

stevedoc
    Free Member

Saddleworth was just toasty this morning  thermometer in garage said minus 8 .. Lake 303 earned there money this morning…  shame the dropper post froze ,,icy cable

edlong
    Free Member

-4 this morning – thankful for merino…

stevego
    Free Member

38C here in melbourne commuting home today, too hot for a fun mountain bike ride.

teamslug
    Free Member

I’m glad I’ve got a streaming cold…no excuse needed.

elwoodblues
    Free Member

Only about -3 this morning, but yesterday my Garmin said -9.7 when I arrived at the end of my 7 kilometer commute…

Yeah, it sometimes get cold in Denmark! 🙂

jeffl

Only -2 this morning according to colleagues who drove in. However feet got cold as my overshoes are broken. Been meaning to buy some for the last six months 🙂

benp1

No ice on the cars my way, but this morning felt really cold. Still enjoyed the ride though

sirromj

My East Kent commute is between 8:20 and 9am, rarely see any properly crunchy frost, I get excited when the forecast says it’s going to be -2 during the night, with -1 to zero on my commute but it always means I overdress for it. This morning went off road, had to keep pace up due to time so got too hot in the sun. Disappointed by lack of proper Winter here.

steezysix
    Free Member

You lot have it good! -12°C here in Oslo and super icy on the ground. Pogies have been a life saver the last couple of months!

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Damn that was bracing much respect to Sealskinz for making quality gloves and socks, keeping the extremities toasty on the commute this morning, long day on the cards, so lets see how I fair and they hold up about 11pm tonight when I am on the way home

PMK2060

I enjoyed the ride in this morning. Cold but dry. Makes a change from the horrible wet weather we have been having in Yorkshire recently.

prawny

Been off the bike for 3 weeks nearly with a sinus infection. Normally walk a mile to the train station but I was at the dental hospital today, so I had a nice hour and a half sat in the pleasant warm interior of my car with 6 music on.

I could almost understand why so many people drive to work – until I got near the city and the roads got clogged up with arseholes.

s1m0n
    Free Member

shermer75 – my strategy is usual winter socks on, then wrap some tin foil around toes before putting on shoes and overshoes. Helped me out this morning.

I did look at the car and thought about driving in, but then had words with myself.

chakaping
    Free Member

Minus three on the van dashboard.

No commuting for me, but I did sneak a ride in…

middleagedmadness
    Free Member

-4 and lovely crunchy tow paths this morning , rather have this than the puddle fest of the last 2 weeks

martinhutch

Best conditions of the winter today on my local loop. Crunchy mud and crusted snow.

downhillfast
    Free Member

<span style=”color: #444444; font-size: 16px; background-color: #eeeeee;”>I did look at the car and thought about driving in, but then had words with myself</span>

This makes you a badass

Jeez!  I hate this new unusable forum!!

Gary_M
    Free Member

-8 on the moor between Kilmarnock and Glasgow this morning, lovely morning though.  Most of the cycle path was unusable after yesterdays snow.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Yes – best conditions ever. No commute so.

Perfect tour in the woods.

Rear mech froze solid so. Had to run single gear…. – o.k. two gear, have still a front mech. Took the bike out of the garage and guess it was still moisture / water in the rear mech.

Beautiful tour so! But single gear is stupid!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Thought it was slightly milder today, no dramas with stud tyres fitted and wearing double layers on the hands plus feet… Just harder work trying to make progress with the studs and the ~1.6Kg of rubber, while filling the air with the sound of cooking bacon!

MoreCashThanDash

-6 along the towpath this morning, coldest commute for quite a few years for me going into Nottingham. Nice and dry cold though, no ice.

Decathlon bargain basic long sleeved base layer, Rapha brevet jersey and my Fat Lad at the Back Gaffer jacket – thought I might be a layer short but got it spot on!

RustyNissanPrairie

Cold or rain doesn’t bother me, it’s the bloody constant headwind rattling through the bottom of the Rossendale valley that does me. This morning was nice and still though. Looks like it’s picking up again for the next few days. ☹️

somafunk

It was -5 ❄️ when I got up this morning 🕡 @ 6.30 to cycle to work, 🚴‍♂️ thankfully I soon remembered I had quit work in June last year 🎇 🏖🏝🍹 so I tootled back off to bed 🛏 with a cappuccino ☕️ and dozed off to R4 🎶 to eventually wake up at a far more suitable 10am 🕙 ready for my usual scrambled eggs 🍳 and more coffee ☕️

sweepy
    Free Member

I’ve been meaning to ask, how do you prevent or deal with bikes freezing?
    I’ve had a freehub freeze and rob me of all drive, coasting downhill till it got warmer solved that, and a frozen rear mech, where someone had a flask of tea in their bottlecage and thawed it out.
    Any tips to end my travails?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

You are all impressively wimpy I must say.

Yesterday was warm for me  -18c

Beats a few weeks ago anyhow

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/today-my-hands-froze/

-6c sounds like t shirt weather 😉

rone

I got the -5 yesterday but oddly it wasn’t one of those cold days. A few weeks ago 2-3 degrees and a bit of moisture had me pushing  hard.

richmars

Only zero yesterday, but -4 today. Ok for 30 minutes.

dovebiker

https://www.yukon-news.com/sports/yukon-arctic-ultra-runners-continue-trek-to-finish-line/

How about -45C in the Yukon? They had to suspend the race as it was so cold the snow mobiles wouldn’t work and guarantee a rescue / support to participants. If things had gone to plan, I would have been there – maybe next year?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Cold commute this morning’ is closed to new replies.