Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Coffee in the hills?
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Whaddya all do for coffee, camping, bivvying, touring?.

Ground coffee and a wee tea strainer? Those dodgy looking latte sachets?. I quite like the aeropress for a coffee, but it’s too big, even the travel one looks bulky.

Bite the bullet and use instant?

grahamt1980

I got a cafflano klassic which is a combined grinder, filter and mug. Does work well

rOcKeTdOg

Collapsible drip though

MVIMG_20191028_131911

sweepy
    Free Member

I tried instant but no good. The coffee bags from Taylor were OK as long as you wring the arse out of them. Currently trying a washable ultralight drip filter from gsi which seems best so far but does mean I need to take a mug to heat the water and another to put the filter over.

stevious

I use a wee silicone collapsible cone – similar idea to what rocketdog has up there but IMO easier to pack. I pre-load some filters with ground coffee at home and tape them shut (micropore tape is strong enough but doesn’t rip the papers).

I haven’t tried the washable filter idea that sweepy mentions, but when I thought about it seemed like a faff to dispose of the grounds. I like being able to pop the whole used filter in my bin bag to pack out.

sweepy
    Free Member

I like being able to pop the whole used filter in my bin bag to pack out.

That is a very good point

p7eaven
    Free Member

molgrips
    Free Member

Depends on what your attitude to weight is, but I usually take sachets of microground coffee like Starbucks Via, because they weigh virtually nothing and taste ok – better than instant.

Otherwise I might take one of these:

https://www.whittard.co.uk/equipment/coffee-equipment/barista-co.-teal-coffee-brew-it-stick-344820.html

You don’t need the blue holder thing – it’s just a basket on the end of a stick. Coarse grounds in there, stir in water til you’re happy. Weighs very little indeed.

airvent
    Free Member

I just bought the travel aeropress, size wise it’s about the size of a can of coke, and a touch lighter. It’s never the brewer that’s the heavy or bulky part, it’s the means of boiling the water that I find a pain. A basic MSR pocket rocket style burner might be small and light, but the second you encounter some mild wind those kind are defeated.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ortlieb filter holder .

scotroutes

Coffee bags are OK but take a while and you do have to squeeze them out for max impact. A mug cosy helps keep the water hot while you’re waiting for it.

Mostly I just go with the ground/instants.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Coffee in pan, sinks to bottom, drink.

Or buy more stuff to make it perfect 😂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Cowboy coffee . Disposing of the grounds is a pain though

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Nanopresso and a small flask, or small stove. Espresso anywhere 👍👍

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Flasks are a no, as I’ll have cooking kit with me, either gas or meths kit.

I’ll either go with Al’s method, or instant tbh, canny be arsed buying more kit, but thanks for suggestions.

easily
    Free Member

Second the nanopresso. Proper espresso when required.

matt_outandabout

On a day out it’s a Thermos.

On longer trips, the canoe or if I can be faffed it’s a GSI java press and Speedster stove.
    I plan on buying a GSI drip press at Christmas.

Nick

I love good coffee, but **** me if I’m going to piss about going full barista in the hills, boiling water on a little meths stove, starbucks Via sachets, done. Tastes shit but it’s warm and has caffeine. I might consider an AeroPress go, if someone buys me one for Christmas, but its still an extra lump to carry about.

cookeaa
    garage-dweller

I’ve got a cafetiere thermal cup thing from Bodum. I’ve not used it for lightweight camping but during lockdown it’s been my source of hot drinks for days doing labour at the sailing club and while out on day rides. Can supposedly be used for leaf tea too.

Maybe a bit too bulky but you can carry warm coffee in it for a good few hours (as I will be tomorrow on a day ride).

mrsheen
    Free Member

Usually take a can of iced coffee then cut off the top with swiss army knife then heat up with either mini stove or burners. Not to everyone’s tastes I admit.

rOcKeTdOg

idea to what rocketdog has up there but IMO easier to pack

Easier than completely flat?

https://www.munieq.com/product-page/copy-of-tetra-drip-02s

batfink
    Free Member

The answer is:

coffee drip bags

Makes a mini pour-over coffee, but is as convenient as a teabag.

I can’t vouch for the quality of the ground coffee in the above, but quite a few specialty roasters are doing these now. These are the ones I bought (Australia) which were delicious, and I’m a full-on coffee snob: https://shop.singleo.com.au/products/tarrazu-costa-rica-parachutes

TheBrick
    Free Member

A drip filter that sit on top of a cup for touring. Bit bulk and not foldable like the one ^^^^^^^ but it is washable rather than using throw away filters as I didn’t want waste.

Out for thh day flask.

Overnight either sachett or the drip filter

chrispy

We usually take our jetboil when we go walking for hot drinks. It has a handy plunger accessory to make filter coffee which works pretty well.

blokeuptheroad

As above, when walking Jetboil with plunger. It is then a kettle, cafetiere and mug in one. If I’m on the motorbike I take an aeropress and insulated mug too.

alexpalacefan

Cowboy.

APF

thenorthwind

Cowboy coffee if I’m going ultra-lightweight.
    Aeropress Go if not.
    Instant if I really hate myself*

*This point is, so far, entirely hypothetical.

duncancallum

Either a drip through I’ve 2 types this ones best

https://rockrun.com/products/gsi-ultralight-java-drip-coffee-maker

Or more commonly just a flask.

epicyclo

Bugger all the faff.

JetBoil and those Nescafe 3 in 1 sachets.

Does the job and ‘Puffer proven. 🙂

stevious

@rocketdog

Easier than completely flat?

Yes, in that it’s flat and flexible. I can spooge mine inside my jetboil alongside the fuel can for example. I’ll admit it’s not that big a deal though!

@ everyone else

For me, the faff of making the coffee is part of the point. I don’t want it to be something that I rush.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The faff doesn’t bother me, as you say, there’s no rush, just don’t really want to be buying and carrying more kit than I need to.

icic
    Free Member

I take this guy with me wherever I go!

This way I just get coffee when it is ready.

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh I forgot – I used filter machine filters on one trip. Push filter paper down into mug, coffee in, water, wait, remove filter, done.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Smoother than a Safeway chicken lol!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Just made cowboy coffee, I’m sold!.

Cheers y’all!

bjhedley

Another vote for nanopresso, or a smaller aero-press. I used to take a single shot moka pot in the past too, but the newer methods seem better.

If you’re not a fan of the grounds, the nanopresso will take Nespresso pods with an adaptor, which in a ziplock bag are a bit less messy to bring out.

rOcKeTdOg

Yes, in that it’s flat and flexible. I can spooge mine inside my jetboil alongside the fuel can for example

Nice, I can get mine in my wallet/credit card sleeve 😎

scotroutes

Anyone tried the drop method?

LD
    Free Member

Got one these a few years ago – the daddy of coffee on the go. Not light or small but good. Not easy to find these days though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Coffee in the hills?’ is closed to new replies.