• This topic has 33 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Parr.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Coed Llandegla is it any good
  • cabbage84
    Free Member

Due to going on a course with work Im down next to telford for a couple of weeks and when looking for trail centres within reasonable drive found coed llandegla. I normally ride 7 stanes and hamsterley forest how does this compare

Rorschach
    Free Member

Poorly…..;0)

emma82
    Free Member

No idea how it compares but I enjoyed it. I posted on chat a while ago about it so there are a few opinions on there if you have a look. Except I upset someone by spelling it with four 'l's instead of three. Very picky people round here 🙂 thread was called llandgella

takisawa2

Telford is good for a few trail centres, not just Llandegla. CyB is probably 90 mins, Nant-y-Arian & the Marin Trail a bit further. Cannock Chase is probably the closest, about 40 mins away. Or grab a map & go eu' natural.

singlespeedstu

If you're in Telford head up The Wrekin.

Some great trails and not difficult to find your way round.

simonralli2
    Free Member

If you are used to the Stanes, it is not quite in that league, but I think it is a fantastic centre for what it is – great family orientated riding, plus great for beginners, and a few red level sections for those wanting to give it some. I would have thought you may want to try and make it say to Penmacho if possible. An excellent centre, but take it for what it is and if you ride it I am sure you will have fun so long as you are not one of the miserable buggers on here who declare people like me not proper mountain bikers 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

I upset someone by spelling it with four 'l's instead of three

In welsh l is a letter as is ll so if you add another l it gets pronounced entirely differently. The welsh had to fight to preserve the language so can get a bit feisty over it's misuse..you silly mynci [for the welsh speakers 😉 ]
    If you like trail centres you will probably like it but less than your ususal stuff.

emma82
    Free Member

Junkyard I have been called some things in my life but never something that comes up with beach volley ball and a band when I googles it. People always get my county name wrong. To be fair I don't really care, I ain't gonna fight anyone over it. Simon, you are a failure as a mountain biker as a trail centre lover 🙂 I like trail centres, don't get the moaners problems.

grumm
    Free Member

It's good flowy, jumpy fun. Not technical. Slagged off regularly by people who are missing the point.

Junkyard
    Free Member

it is a wenglish joke….. the welsh spelling of monkey.

kimbers

best ridden fast, in which case its great
    cafe is quality good bike shop too
    worth 'sessioning' the jumpy bit near the end, under the bridge and all that pump track stuff too

chvck
    Free Member

you silly mynci

it is a wenglish joke….. the welsh spelling of monkey.

Isn't that meant to be mwnci?

Junkyard
    Free Member

quick google says w is more accurately a o sound but I know it from the band Gorgys psygotic mynci and they are welsh /speakers.
    dween thim yn g' bod cymraeg personally amazed if my spelling /mutation is anywhere near correct
    Dween hoffi coffi [ a lie but like the phrase]

chvck
    Free Member

Maybe it's both? Mwnci is definitely one way as I play for a Welsh team called 'Mwnci See' and just asked a bunch of Welshies 🙂

simonralli2
    Free Member

Emma

I was kind of thinking about this chap really who said this in the natural vs trail centre thread

In the end I don't consider people who only ride trail centres to be proper mountain bikers. They may have really good bike skills and be faster than me, but mountain biking involves finding your way and being self sufficient, looking after yourself for a day in the hills, not having the easy option of a walk back to the car if something goes wrong.

samuri
    Free Member

In the end I don't consider people who only ride trail centres to be proper mountain bikers. They may have really good bike skills and be faster than me, but mountain biking involves finding your way and being self sufficient, looking after yourself for a day in the hills, not having the easy option of a walk back to the car if something goes wrong.

He sounds like a complete bell end.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Well he has probably got better biking skills than me, is faster than me, and in addition i managed to get lost at Kirroughtree by missing a marker and I ended up in a weird farmers field with a hill and thick heather and I was thinking this can't be right as I could barely see the track 😳 The path ended up at a stone wall and on the other side were cows and then it twigged that something had gone awry as opposed to me thinking this must be the toughest black to ride in the uk. Oh and I have crashed at Ae and not been able to ride which was one heck of a long way back to the car!!

donsimon
    Free Member

Except I upset someone by spelling it with four 'l's instead of three. Very picky people round here thread was called llandgella

What you fail to understand is that when looking at "Llandeglla" I see a Mark Datz word, it's unpronouncable, and judging by the number of complaints about Mark Datz, there appear to be a number of people who agree with me! 😉

You enjoyed Llandegla and that's the important thing.

@simonralli2- I see your fail. You drove. Clearly a real mountain biker would have ridden to whichever trail centre from their home in whichever part of the country navigating using the stars and sleeping under the hedgerows eating berries, nuts and wild animals.

@ OP, I think you'll find a 50/50 split in the for and against camps.

LMT
    Free Member

Half of it was closed when i went the other week, disappointing after a 90 min road trip!! check the website for closuals before you go.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

If you go to Llandegla, mind your bike when you pop into the cafe for tea. Just because you're in Wales, surrounded by like minded people, bikes all over the place, there have tales of certain folk riding round on Apollos / Saracens only to park their bike up by the cafe and ride away on a completely different (much nicer bike)

Compared the Glentress, there is no comparison. GT wins hands down. I won't even compare it to Innerleithen cos that just isn't fair.

Llandegla is one of those strange trails where it feels like you have ridden up more than you have ridden down.

emma82
    Free Member

Second samuri's comment, simon has quite clearly quoted the words of a bell end. I have some 18/19 year old cousins whose English make that Mark datz thread look like something the queen would have penned. Whenever I read their status on facebook and usually the comments left by their mates it makes me want to cry and feel the human race should probably become extinct. I hadn't realised I might have made you cry don, i do apologise :-p

cabbage84
    Free Member

Thanks for all the input I was planning on riding the wrekin aswell just fancied mixing things up with a trail centre visit.

bigrich

there's one section with a compression then a fade that makes it all worth it.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

I agree with LMT, check on the web-site before you go as we went (5 hour round trip) and around a third of it was shut. Still a good blast though 🙂

Bernaard
    Free Member

Was there yesterday. Did the new black on first lap and the original black on the 2nd. There is one small section that is closed, but the diversion doesn't spoil it.
    Some people slag it, but it is a nice fast, no brainer trail.

Tis right about the scally's nicking bikes there though. Take a lock if you leaving your bike by the cafe or on your car.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

tbh although I like llandegla if you are in telford I would say cannock would be a better bet

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Nothing to see at Cannock, move along.

Cougar

I like Llandegla. It's gentle and fast and fun, and comparitively easy grade-for-grade versus the Stanes.

fivespot
    Free Member

LMT – Member
    "Half of it was closed when i went the other week, disappointing after a 90 min road trip!! check the website for closuals before you go" 😕

I go about twice week as I live within 20 mins. Never seen more than about 10% closed or diverted for either improvements or new bits. At leaset they are constantly improving and maintaining the place. Agreed its not the most challenging place to ride, but ridden hard and fast, its still fun 8)

cabbage84
    Free Member

Already rode cannock enjoyed the new bit rest was a bit boring

surfer
    Free Member

check the website for closuals before you go.

Which would be nice if it was up to date!

rubberneck
    Free Member

take a HT if poss' no need for FS here.

Aristotle
    Free Member

I’m a late-comer to the thread.

I went to Llandegla this afternoon. It was my first time in about 18months so there had been a few changes.

The new “Parallel Universe” bit was quite good fun for trying to clear the jumps and shoot the berms. I’m not sure that it warrants its ‘black’ rating though, as the red trails at Glentress are similar and it would all be roll-able.

We did a couple of loops at the ‘black’ table-tops/doubles section about 3/4 of the way around.

The big berms at the end were good. I was hanging off like a good ‘un. It felt like cranking a motorbike over around a roundabout.

I, personally, like tight twisting trails with some technical challenge as well as fast berms and jumps and most of Llandegla is the latter and quite similar.

-It is a shame that they don’t link the trail back to the original black section for a bit more distance as the red/black is fairly short.

The place is certainly popular though and there is a lot of expensive, quite downhill-orientated hardware on display. I got the impression of “all-the-gear…” from quite a few of the people I saw. In the past I’ve ridden around there on my short travel singlespeed with no issues, but I was on a full-susser (on a shake-down ride) myself so I’m in no position to sneer! 😉

Despite not being either XC or DH gods we weren’t passed by anybody on the ups, the flats or the downs.

It was a fairly fun couple of hours, but in my view it is a bit “mountain-biking-lite”.

On the whole, for man-made trails I think the trails at Penmachno and Gisburn are better as they are more varied and feel more ‘wild’, albeit with no café or shop at either -possibly a good thing.

Parr
    Free Member

Its defo worth the visit, go there expecting a proper groomed trail centre ( that attracts 250,000) and you won’t go wrong. Its fast, flowy and got to have the best cafe out of any of the trail centres, friendly staff and they offer coaching courses, demo bikes.
    There is a group the goes out a Wednesday night from the Wrekin, A,B and C groups dependant on your ability, here you will get proper off roading, not a digger or dig team been any where near the trails, apart from Matt Simmonds DH tracks.
    The main thing is you will be on your bike

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Coed Llandegla is it any good’ is closed to new replies.