Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Clipless pedals for road bikes
  • geoffj

What are the advantages over using MTB SPDs? I’m not sure I can face buying another pair of shoes, but could be persuaded if there are advantages.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I have no idea of the advantages or disadvantages, but if you don’t want to buy more shoes just get some SPD road pedals. I have some and they require the same cleat as my MTB SPDs

stilltortoise
    Free Member

PS they are single-sided so I assume they must be lighter and lower profile than an MTB SPD

druidh
    Free Member

Depends.

You can get single sided SPDs from both Shimano and Ritchey which are lighter and have better ground clearance then normal MTB SPDs. However, if you want to go the full Road-SPD route, you get the advantage of a stiffer sole and a more rigid sole/pedal interface which (IMHO) improves power application over long distances. I use the latter on my “fast” road bike and the former on my tourer/comunter as I then get away with wearing walkable shoes too.

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve used SPD road pedals on my road bikes for years. Only on my full on race bikes though – the rest have double sided MTB ones (my winter hack currently has XTRs on, as those were what was lying around 🙄 ) Used to use road shoes – and still do for time trials – the point being that I could easily swap if I wanted to. However recently I’ve done pretty much all my riding in MTB shoes as I find the ones I’ve got more comfy.

geoffj

I like the sound of the single sided SPDs. So do they work with regular MTB shimano spd cleats?

druidh
    Free Member

Aye.

You can get Shimano A520s, which are quite nice, or the Ritchey V4 Pro Road which are like a work of art. You might get some strange results if mixing Shimano/Ritchey though. I find that the Ritchey cleats work fine in both their own and Shimano pedals, but the Shimano cleat is too tight a fit in the Ritcheys.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Yep. I often take my road bike to the shops but wearing my more socially acceptable MTB shoes

druidh
    Free Member

Ritcheys

Shimano A520s

aracer
    Free Member

You may still be able to pick up some of the lovely old DA SPDs I have on my TT bike – though they’ve been out of production for years. Otherwise there are also Xpedo RF-S1 – fully SPD compatible, and what I have on my road race bike (blingy and expensive ti version or far cheaper cro-mo version available).

BTW I’m unconvinced about the real merits of a larger platform, given stiff carbon soles.

geoffj

Those Ritchey ones look nice and there’s only about a tenner difference in price…..but I have a pair of new 520s in the spares box. Decisions, decisions.

Now, which road mini pump…

druidh
    Free Member

SKS Sub40?

geoffj

😀

sorted

simondbarnes

What are the advantages over using MTB SPDs?

You can wear ace shoes like these…

Pimpy

geoffj

Wow – that’s what you call a pair of disco slippers. I like!

What is the sizing like Simon? I have wide feet and find the Spesh BG stuff spot on. Do you know how it compares?

simondbarnes

I wear size 45 spesh pro carbon mtb shoes and size 45 bonty rxl road shoes. The fit is different but I find both comfortable. I guess the best thing to do would be to try on a pair.

geoffj

Mmmm – trip to Spokes in St Andrews to try a pair on tomorrow!

aracer
    Free Member

You can wear those with MTB SPDs if you get some cleats like these

Or adapters like http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=16022

Thanks for the link though – have been looking for some high end road shoes, and they look like exactly what I need (I already have the cleats in the picture above!)

nickc

I use those A520s for mine and MTB shoes. used to use regular MTB clipless, but they’d make my feet ache after about 50-60 miles or so, hot spots, maybe? Dunno, but the larger platform of the 520s is much more comfy for long rides where you don’t move your feet about as much as on a MTB.

Pricey mind.

druidh
    Free Member

nickc – Member

I use those A520s for mine and MTB shoes. used to use regular MTB clipless, but they’d make my feet ache after about 50-60 miles or so, hot spots, maybe? Dunno, but the larger platform of the 520s is much more comfy for long rides where you don’t move your feet about as much as on a MTB.

Pricey mind.

£40? Doesn’t seem too bad for a set of pedals

rob1984p
    Free Member

i’ll add a bizarre twist on this; i have no mtb shoes at the mo but have finished my kinesis and want to ride it tomorrow. Has anyone ever used spd sl pedals offroad, i am contemplating using my well trashed dura ace pedals and sidi road shoes. Is this a really bad idea?

theboatman
    Free Member

I never had any issues using shimano cleats with the Ritchey V4’s.

sq225917
    Free Member

The V4 micro road have a lower platform height that requires the cleats to be rebated across the middle, they don’t work with SPD cleats. I use them on both my road bike and my Sc BLT

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Clipless pedals for road bikes’ is closed to new replies.