Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • ClimbingTrackWorld: Anyone got this starter bundle?
  • brassneck

.. or can recommend something similar, or individual bits for not much more?

Go Outdoors bundle

Looking for recommendations on a comfy harness and ‘normal’ belay device really, obviously will be going to try for size and buy, but all shops are a 60 mile round trip so a few recommendations will make the destination easier to plot.

jam-bo

Looking for recommendations on a comfy harness

doesn’t exist…

Duane…
    Free Member

Pretty sure that’s the same as what I have, just different colour. Harness is fine, as above not exactly comfy, but none are. Not a huge fan of the belay device, seems to “stick” to some ropes more than needed (better than not sticking enough I guess).

bokonon
    Free Member

Looks like good value to me.

holster
    Free Member

That GoOutdoors pack looks pretty good value, I’d go for it. If you find the belay a bit ‘sticky’, try the Black Diamond ATC – I find this nice and smooth.

spawnofyorkshire

I have the climb-x bundle (in fact so do four of my mates) which is pretty equivalent
    Both bundles are good entry points.
    As stated above they aren’t the most comfy harnesses and the belay devices can stick a bit, but they work and are a cheap way to get started. Just upgrade over time as needed

Brown
    Free Member

That price looks like pretty good value – and not a huge amount above what I’ve paid at trade in the past.

Belay plate and HMS are fine.

As to whether the harness is comfy, that depends on you. Ignore the comments about none being comfy. You’ve just got to find the right one.

The time you’ll notice a harness most is when you’re holding the rope for a leader who’s taking a long rest, so try and replicate that angle of pull in the shop (assuming they have a testing point).

bails

Oddly enough I bought that the other week. Got it for £40 too!

The belay device can be turned round so you’re using the smooth side, or run using the’high friction’ side.

I’m only a newb but my more experienced climbing mate was surprised at the value. I’m very happy with the harness.

jam-bo

Ignore the comments about none being comfy.

I’ll rephrase then, some are less uncomfortable than others.

although that depends if you mean just standing around belaying, I’ve got an Arcteryx R320 that you can barely feel most of the time but after 20mins hanging around in is just as uncomfortable as any other harness.

timb34
    Free Member

Non-adjustable leg loops on the harness, so it needs to be the right size for your thighs – you need to try it on, and hang in it whislt weariing the same thickness of clothing as when climbing.

chojin
    Free Member

Can’t you ask your climbing buddies to try theirs?

spawnofyorkshire

Non-adjustable leg loops on the harness, so it needs to be the right size for your thighs – you need to try it on, and hang in it whislt weariing the same thickness of clothing as when climbing.

The climb-X one has adjustable leg loops. It can get twisted up but it’s really not a bad harness at all

martinhutch

Clog flyer always used to get mediocre reviews, don’t know if that’s sorted yet.

Good value set though. I’ve noticed the vision harness reduced quite heavily in some places though, so it would be worth shopping around to see if you can get an equivalent package with perhaps a better belay device.

eg Shop at Depot at Leeds has adjustable version at £48.75

http://www.theclimbingdepot.co.uk/shop/brand/wild-country

brassneck

Can’t you ask your climbing buddies to try theirs?

He’s 7 years old 🙂 – have been asking around the wall a bit, but it’s as bad as cycling for polarised opinions 😀 I’ve been using the rental ones which were described like they were torture devices and not really thought they were too bad so I think more or less anything would be an improvement.

Non adjustable thighs is a good spot though, was advised to get adjustability there to make it a bit more comfy on the occasions I actually get a climb, and double waist adjustments.

Don’t mind paying a bit more now to save paying again later so thanks for the other ideas

stever
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry about adjustable leg loops unless you’re planning on growing or shrinking a lot or want the same harness for winter climbing wearing lots of clothes 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘ClimbingTrackWorld: Anyone got this starter bundle?’ is closed to new replies.