Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Climbing, would like a play on this wall
  • captaincarbon
    Free Member

jeez!

CaptJon
    Free Member

Dam that’s big.

RealMan
    Free Member

Looks awesome, tiring though.

tazzymtb

yeh but those holds on the wall are massive jugs, you may as well just climb a ladder 🙄

antigee

fun – yes
    exciting – yes
    very safe (and nothing wrong with that) – yes
    worth a beer – yes
    but not really climbing or mountaineering is it?

expect a future article about all night extreme cycling at center parcs

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I thought it looked a bit dull to be honest. High and no doubt a very tough test of endurance but the limited options open to anyone climbing it take a lot away from the experience. Although it’s hard to tell how technically difficult it is from those pictures it could be that if the climb was within your grade it would feel like not much more than climbing a very long ladder.

EDIT: Similar sentiment to those two above ^^

tazzymtb

now climbing limb mangling off-widths….That is a laugh

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m1Wir0ozUk&feature=related[/video]

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Looks a laugh, but really, there is so much real rock to climb in Switzerland why bother?

tonyd

As above, looks like a ladder. This is quite an easy grade in Croyde but I’d say harder than the above, and certainly more “airy” (that’s me on the right)

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

tonyd: Do you remember the route name? Looks nice.

tonyd

Not off the top of my head but I can find it. It’s Baggy Point at Croyde, let me go find my route book….

ETA: I’m to the right and on Shangri-La, it’s a Severe (4a). Page 51 of the North Devon and Cornwall CC Guide (Long Rock). My mate to the left is on Lost Horizon (VS, 5a). Both are 3 stars and great climbs, we approached across the beach as it was low tide. If the tide is up you’ll need to abseil down.

glenh
    Free Member

Pic in the OP looks pretty tedious to me.
    I’ll stick to real mountains thanks.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

tonyd: Thanks. Pretty sure I’ve got that guide, I’ll dig it out later and add a post-it to the page for later in the year. Looks good for a Summer’s afternoon.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Nice route! Rap down off pegs or walk?

tonyd

Scramble down from near where the photo was taken, then across the cove. You can rap down but it was a nice day and we weren’t in any hurry 🙂 Those boulders are car sized and bigger so just getting across was fun.

muppetWrangler – yep, lovely climb for a summers afternoon. Followed by a gentle stroll back to the Thatch for some refreshments! There are quite a few nice climbs at Baggy, nothing really over a single pitch.

grum
    Free Member

I’d much rather do tonyd’s route. What kind of grade are we talking there?

tonyd

Left route is a VS (5a), right is S (4a).

coffeeking
    Free Member

but the majority of these people are not mountaineers, they are relying on the incredible work of the Sherpas in Nepal. It is not all that it is cracked up to be

No $%^& sherlock.

mogrim

Ok, it’s a ladder. But a very long and impressive one, and I’d still like to have a go on it 🙂

Travis

a climb is a climb if you’ve got no were else to go

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Climbing, would like a play on this wall’ is closed to new replies.