Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Click once per revolution, only when seated but not when seated and high load
  • rolandatlas
    Free Member

Hello all, the above is driving me mad.

The click occurs when drive side is at six o’clock and non drive side is at twelve o’clock.

If I’m standing and peadalling it doesn’t happen, if I’m seated and pedalling up hill fairly hard it doesn’t happen.

Any ideas?

mtbqwerty

Bottom bracket bearing or pedal would be my first guesses, assuming you mean crank positions

theotherjonv

Had similar on my road bike, and the fact pedalling while stood up stopped it mystified me. It took me ages to find. Not saying it will be this, but grease your seat post and rails.

weeksy

I’ll go with cleaning bottom bracket threads

wordnumb
    Free Member

Knee.

Spin
    Free Member

Not saying it will be this, but grease your seat post and rails.

I had that too. I was convinced it was bottom bracket / crank related but it wasn’t.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

start with pedals, then eliminate each potential culprit in turn. It’s usually BB/crank related but not always.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Ear problem?
    Eliminate all variables!

ozric45
    Free Member

Had simular on a road bike. Turned out the chain ring bolts needed tightening.

Bez

Almost anything can be the cause of a once-per-crank-rotation click because the forces from your body go through the whole bike with the same frequency.

Cleats, pedal bearings, crank bolts, chainring bolts, bent tooth, stiff chain link, BB bearings, BB cups, seat clamp, saddle clamp, cracked frame, stem bolts, headset, you name it. (You don’t mention kit: derailleur or singlespeed? dropper or standard post? 1x or front derailleur? cleats or flats? full sus, hardtail or rigid?)

Try things like riding no-handed, pedalling backwards, switching body weight between pedals without moving the cranks, turning the cranks on the workstand, grabbing the crank and checking for play, and so on.

If nothing presents itself, try the easy stuff first; then try the stuff which you can swap with items from the spares box; then try cleaning and regreasing threaded components.

fangin
    Free Member

… and so begins the descent into inevitable madness.

Bez

We’ve all been there. Many years ago I spent ages fiddling with stuff before realising that when I was in the granny ring my crank was just clipping the end of my front mech cable. The cracked frame took a while to discover, too.

fangin
    Free Member

For me it was creaking seat rails that I finally diagnosed – after several weeks of rides punctuated by crazed tightening/loosening/lubing of bolts/seatposts/suspension pivots.

orangespyderman

Had simular on a road bike. Turned out the chain ring bolts needed tightening.

As did I on a mountain bike once. Same cause. Actually lost one before I’d figured it out…

middleagedmadness
    Free Member

Had it on my cdf ,turned out to be seat rail clamp was slightly loose ,not enough to feel the seat move ,a quarter turn of both bolts ,and it went

sirromj

One bike had a loose disc rotor bolt rubbing on caliper mount the other week.

survivor

Only one way to fix this.

Load up the parts cannon and get blasting.

Change every potential culprit until you fix it or run out of money 👍

onehundredthidiot

Had this one winter. Bike was apart and cleaned/greased almost every week. Three months to discover it was the zip pull on my jacket on the chest strap of my bag. I nearly wept.

Rio

Had this a while ago, tightened everything visible to no effect, turned out to be the end of the internal dropper cable clicking against something which sort of echoed through the frame. A bit of tape fixed that, but I noticed yesterday it’s come back. No doubt it will be something else this time.

halfbee
    Free Member

Rear skewer (if its 5mm QR)

aroyalnit
    Free Member

The most obscure situation of this I’ve solved was a third party chainring on a 105 5600 chainset – the cause was the little metal pole that is fitted to the chainring that sits between the chainring and crank arm to help catch the chain if it falls off. This was very close to the crank arm, and would touch / click against the crank arm under certain loads.

Took *so* long to figure out, a small blob of grease stopped the noise happening.

rolandatlas
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, I’ve spent the afternoon carrying out what I can of the suggestions made. No noise on a quick ride up and down my street but will test further tomorrow 👍

cynic-al
    Free Member

Def won’t be bearings

Spin
    Free Member

Teach yourself not to care.

Poopscoop

Spin

Teach yourself not to care.

I think I speak for many here when I say I find that genuinely impossible.

I will systematically strip down a whole bike if necessary to find the noisy little bugger of a component!😁

100psi
    Free Member

I had this on my cx bike (using it on the road with slicks) it was very annoying and turned out to be the rear wheel quick release

I had this. Intermittent clicking. After going through all the usual things I found a cracked plate in my chain. It clicked when going over the chain ring. Took a while to diagnose.

ferrals
    Free Member

This can always be solved by careful insertion of blue tack into your ears.

I’ve had most of the above cause issues in the past. Chain is a good one to check- mostly because it’s a pita if it goes when out and about

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Click once per revolution, only when seated but not when seated and high load’ is closed to new replies.