Home Forums Bike Forum classifieds build

• This topic has 12 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by mmb.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • classifieds build
  • mmb
    Free Member

so here it is then,a kona fire mountain built almost entirely from these classifieds for my 13yr old son, his first full size bike,all the parts are second hand and nearly all of those are from stw members,the wheels and brakes are off my old P7 so they don't count i guess but we're waiting for some lx brakes to arrive so we can use the same pads etc, then i'll take the juicy 3s off. the lad is very happy with it and looking forward to his first (small) xc ride tomorrow (weather permitting it's a bit crap here at the mo!). total cost (without wheels but including lx brakes) £195.I gotta say i had good fun building it with him let's hope he has as much fun riding it.

see if you can recognise any of your parts.

bassspine
    Free Member

nice one! I did a similar bitsa for my boy and it beats the crap out of all his mates shoddy £80 fullsuss girderbikes.

I think a mountain bike adventure may be the best father and son shared experience you can have 🙂

epicsteve
    Free Member

Nice looking bike.

Most of my bikes, and both of my sons bikes, are to some extent built with bits from the classifieds here.

mmb
    Free Member

thanks guys it's great to get some positive feedback and i'm hoping it will help us to bond even better than we already do.

bassspine
    Free Member

talking of which, I'm taking #1 son (plus one of his mates) to Cwn Carn tomorrow 🙂

mmb
    Free Member

fantastic,hope you all enjoy it,i've been to whites and the wall and will be going to the quantocs soon hoping to find this place they call "the chimney".

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I love a thrifty build.

mmb
    Free Member

I would have considered a new purchase for him but prices are theft at the mo, and we're now down to one wage so he's lucky to get something this good at all, on the other hand he's a really good kid and got himself into the local grammar last september!, he deserves it and i just had to make this happen to show him how proud i am and a lot of thanks goes to the people on this site for helping me to make it happen,you know who you are! thanks.

naokfreek
    Free Member

Very good work!!

epicsteve
    Free Member

Despite being a "bitsa" it'll be massively better than the bikes any of his mates will have.

Kevevs
    Free Member

good stuff!

mmb
    Free Member

yeah i've seen his mates bikes and i have to say i'm surprised that some of their parents can let their kids ride such poorly maintained crap, surely safety for your kid is paramount?.

mmb
    Free Member

the spec if you're interested is as follows;
    small kona fire mountain frame
    truvative fired crank with flat pedals for now!
    lx rear mech and cassette
    deore front mech and shifters
    avid juicy 3 brakes soon to be replaced with shimano lx
    reba team 100mm with pushloc/poploc handlebar lever
    raceface ride seatpost with bonty saddle
    gt lock on grips
    spesh o/s bars
    truvative hussefelt stem
    wtb speeddisc rims with deore hubs and skewers
    maxxis ignitor tyres

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘classifieds build’ is closed to new replies.