Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 111 total)
  • Citizens Income
  • 5thElefant
    Free Member

Doesn’t that rather defeat the point? If you are giving it to everyone then removing it from others, albeit via the tax system, then how is that different from just tapering off the benefit like currently happens?

Everybody gets x grand. Everybody pays x% on all income. I thought that was the point.

Savings come in mass redundancies.

allthegear
    Free Member

There are a few misconceptions here. The Citizens Income would be a fixed amount paid to everyone, equal to that which allows a person, without special circumstances, to live.

Special circumstances may include disabilities, care for dependencies (like children) etc. Those things will still need to be assessed and paid.

Utrect in The Netherlands is conducting a trial and the whole of Finland are planning to start one soon.

I hope it works – seems a good system to me.

Rachel

ninfan
    Free Member

So no savings on admin then.

DrJ

Sadly, simple attractive solutions to complex difficult problems are almost invariably bad solutions

Oh, the ironing !!

br
    Free Member

So a single adult male would receive the same leve of ‘citizen income’ as a single mum with three kids, despite their vastly different ability to work, outgoings and responsibilities? That hardly engenders a fair society does it?

Did you not read the original post? EVERYONE gets an income, just the amount is age-dependent.

The key thing here is to take away the ‘politics’ (see Stoner’s comment) and consider the pros and cons. Will it be a better/worse system, no idea – but compared to the current mess it ought to be worth evaluating properly.

What though normally scuppers every good idea (as described to me when I once worked on a central Govt contract) is the ‘transition’, ie how we get from here to there.

To quote:

“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”

Niccolò Machiavelli 1469-1527

thestabiliser
    Free Member

What? Even the kids? Surely they’d just go out and spend it on sweets?

ninfan
    Free Member

@ b r – thanks, I see your point on the ‘kids salary’ but it raises just as many questions (someone with five kids versus someone with one kid, both being equally unable to work one could still end up vastly better off) and still leaves the wildly disparate equality gap between those working and unable to work.

miketually
    Free Member

someone with five kids versus someone with one kid, both being equally unable to work one could still end up vastly better off) and still leaves the wildly disparate equality gap between those working and unable to work.

One household will receive a larger combined CI, but they’re also feeding and clothing more kids.

nickjb
    Free Member

But shouldn’t we expect people have to jump through some sort of hoop, or be expected to show some disability or attempt to work before they get benefits?

Why?

miketually
    Free Member

We already have a CI for under-18s and a CI for over 68s, but we call them child benefit and state pension.

As I understand them, the systems being proposed include a top-up for the disabled and also kept housing benefit as a separate benefit.

seosamh77
    Free Member

It’s a great idea, imo. And considering the cost is similar to the current welfare bill I can’t really understand any objections to it.

If some people can live on 71 quid a week, more power to them.

But the positives out way any negatives, imo (are there any negatives?).

Only miserable bastards would object to this, unfortunately, there are loads of you. 🙁

It’s something that would encourage entreprenuership, self education etc. These are massive positives for the enconomy in general, infact it’s probably just the boost this shitfuck of a system is needing, plus it’ll take away stigma at the lower levels of society.

v8ninety

Sounds like a recipe for a fractured and divided society.

It ABSOLUTELY can’t be any worse than what we have now…

crankboy
    Free Member

surely it unites as the income is for all so there is no strivers vs scroungers divide.

Klunk
    Free Member

interesting to see how it would affect strikes and striking.

geetee1972
    Free Member

both being equally unable to work

Ironically it’s this kind of example that shows the real benefits of the system.

A single parent (please can we not bring gender into it; there are single fathers as well you know) is hamstrung by the benefit system. They can’t afford the time to take a full time job and they can’t afford the money to take a part time one.

Although this is the part I am unclear on (because I don’t know what or how much benefit a single parent gets or under what circumstances they lose it), the argument is that the CI would make it much easier for that single parent to take a part time job. Whether that job tops up the CI or the other way around isn’t the point; the point is that it becomes financially viable to do it and practical from a time perspective.

ninfan
    Free Member

surely it unites as the income is for all so there is no strivers vs scroungers divide.

A. Lives on £71 per week JSA
    B. Lives on £250 per week wages working part time, minus £20 tax and NI
    C. Lives on £500 per week wages working full time, minus £100 tax and NI

Citizens income:
    A. Lives on £71 per week C.I
    B lives on £321 per week (minus?)
    C. Lives on £571 per week (minus?)

miketually
    Free Member

A. Lives on £71 per week JSA
    B. Lives on £250 per week wages working part time, minus £20 tax and NI
    C. Lives on £500 per week wages working full time, minus £100 tax and NI

Citizens income:
    A. Lives on £71 per week C.I
    B lives on £321 per week (minus?)
    C. Lives on £571 per week (minus?)

A has the option of a short-term paid part-time work. Under which system is this worth their while?

Under which system is it possible for C to reduce her full-time hours to 0.8, giving them a day to pursue their interest in starting a business?

TheBrick
    Free Member

I don’t see where the cost saving is comming from given you will still have to means test to sort out all the exceptions and diffrent cases of people who will still need extra beanfits. Seems like it would be very simalar to our current system

The only advantage I see, and it is a bing one is that it amkes working more rewarding at the lower income level as you don’t end up working 40hours for 20 pounds more. The same could be achived with better tapering of tax levels and benafits levels rather than the steps we curently have that.

ninfan
    Free Member

A has the option of a short-term paid part-time work. Under which system is this worth their while?

Do they? That’s presumptive. What if there aren’t any jobs? Haven’t you just proved my point that this is just a subsidy for zero hour contract employers? As for ‘worth their while’ – that’s just an issue of taper rates.

Under which system is it possible for C to reduce her full-time hours to 0.8

Both surely?

seosamh77
    Free Member

ninfan – Member
    Do they? That’s presumptive. What if there aren’t any jobs? Haven’t you just proved my point that this is just a subsidy for zero hour contract employers? As for ‘worth their while’ – that’s just an issue of taper rates.

Under which system is it possible for C to reduce her full-time hours to 0.8
    Both surely?Speaking of miserable bastards….

slowoldman

Utrect in The Netherlands is conducting a trial and the whole of Finland are planning to start one soon.

Indeed and I’m interested to see how it pans out. I think it’s worth investigating.

What? Even the kids? Surely they’d just go out and spend it on sweets?

I imagine sensible parents would put it aside for future further education costs, though certainly many would splash out on more booze and drugs.

seosamh77
    Free Member

slowoldman – Member
    I imagine sensible parents would put it aside for future further education costs, though certainly many would splash out on more booze and drugs.

And many many more would use it to feed and cloth their children.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Personally I think it’s a great idea. This is probably what people envisioned when the industrial revolution took place. More work becomes automated leaving us to do what we really wanted.

I don’t understand why governments don’t trial these measures in a limited capacity (e.g: pick a sample town/city and have a go at implementing it there).

I doubt it would put people already working off of working, and would provide a bit of breathing space for people in exploitative conditions, or under pressure to look after themselves/their families.

Also, to those saying child benefit and pensions already cover this are incorrect. Child benefit is means tested. Pensions I believe are linked to your contribution, and pensioners also have additional benefits like wig allowances, bus passes and fuel allowances. Using UBI would be a welcome reduction in administration overhead and may result in a fairer redistribution of this money.

egb81
    Free Member

ninfan – Member
    So a single adult male would receive the same leve of ‘citizen income’ as a single mum with three kids, despite their vastly different ability to work, outgoings and responsibilities? That hardly engenders a fair society does it?

Have you bothered reading the rest of the thread, notably the bit about children being citizens and being given an income as well?

ctk
    Free Member

Tories relax! You don’t HAVE to be against it!

macb
    Free Member

Gosh,the misconceptions and strawmen are flowing thick and fast. There is a wealth of information on this concept going back decades. A good starting point would be:-

Home

I do understand the enthusiasm to bash an idea that you haven’t read or comprehended properly, it is the internet after all.

Regarding cost reduction then that’s where I wouldn’t agree with this specific proposal. The level of CI proposed is too low to provide a liveable alternative. I think it needs to be more like £12k per annum for a working age adult at 25 and over. But I would want that to include the removal of housing benefit. If it’s not enough to live where you want then you either work or you move.

To cost it you need to add up everything that’s currently paid or given as an allowance – tax credits, family allowance(or whatever it’s called now), income support, job seekers, housing benefit, state pensions, tax free allowances.

The only exception would be those with a special need that was not covered by the £12k.

Any and all other forms of income would be taxable, no allowances and no exceptions.

Most objections to this really just boil down to the same thing, free money and the idea that someone doesn’t have to do anything, or humiliate themselves in any way to qualify. We already give out free money we just don’t call it that and pretend it’s something else.

Unless we have some magic plan for full employment then the continual humiliation of those not working seems rather sad to me. Our current headline unemployment number is 1.8million but we also have over 8million on part time out of a workforce of 31 million. The vast majority of existing benefits are paid to those in work or retired.

It’s a behemoth of a system that could be swept away it just takes the imagination.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

The Citizens Income would be a fixed amount paid to everyone, equal to that which allows a person, without special circumstances, to live.

Special circumstances may include disabilities, care for dependencies (like children) etc. Those things will still need to be assessed and paid.

Surely that pretty much what we have now – everyone (admittedly unemployed only) gets JSA, and if you need additional disability benefit it gets assessed?

Its feels like a good idea, I just suspect the ‘special circumstances’ would just add up to the same complicated system we have now. Whilst I agree the current assessment system for disabilities is pretty ridiculous, if it wasn’t there whats to stop everyone just claiming it?

jonba
    Free Member

And considering the cost is similar to the current welfare bill I can’t really understand any objections to it.

We won’t know this until it is rolled out. Think of all the costings touted by previous political parties and the actual reality.

Also there it is going to be very expensive to implement. Because it won’t be simple, no matter how much people want it to be. UC is supposed to be a simplification of the old system but it isn’t.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Most objections to this really just boil down to the same thing, free money

But interestingly it’s an objection to free money from both the left and the right.

You could be in the top 0.1% of wealth holders and still receive it. So the right throws it’s arms up because of the scroungers and the left because of the fat cats.

Alternatively, the left applauds it because it’s inclusive and helps the poorest more and the right because potentially it creates a much more willing and able workforce more willing to take on part time work which in turn act to reduce wage costs.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“the left applauds it because it’s inclusive and helps the poorest more and the right because potentially it creates a much more willing and able workforce more willing to take on part time work which in turn act to reduce wage costs.”

I like this aspect however i see housing/cars/other Demand driven priced items being inflated because people have more income to leverage in their pockets…. will anyone be any better off or is it just a readjustment of the axis 0 point where things are measured.

Tread carefully.

outofbreath
    Free Member

I think it needs to be more like £12k per annum for a working age adult at 25 and over.

24k between wife and I. We could both give up work tomorrow. Bliss.

ahwiles
    Free Member

curiousyellow – Member

I don’t understand why governments don’t trial these measures in a limited capacity (e.g: pick a sample town/city and have a go at implementing it there).

The Netherlands.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

£12k would surely be a bit much, unless you altered the tax system to be more like 50% of everything.

Otherwise as Ahwile said, no one north of Leeds would go to work in the morning as 2x£12k would probably pay most mortgages.

A more sensible option would be to scrap the tax free allowance and replace it with an equivalent grant for ~£4k?

The only problem is I suspect that the more you tax low incomes the more that work becomes informal and no tax get’s paid. Because unlike Starbucks or Vodafone where settling for £Xmillion is worthwhile for HMRC, chasing after Dave from the Dog and Duck for 20% of his earnings from selling car-boot stuff on eBay isn’t.

geetee1972
    Free Member

will anyone be any better off or is it just a readjustment of the axis 0 point where things are measured

Hopefully those at the bottom end of the income spectrum, otherwise it’s pointless debating it. If the poorest do better then the rich will by default also do better. Whereas if the rich do better, then maybe that helps the poorest, but it’s not quite as clear cut (because there’s more leakage at the top end).

seosamh77
    Free Member

will anyone be any better off or is it just a readjustment of the axis 0 point where things are measured.

Tread carefully.

It would need to be like to some for of inflation index, or that is exactly what would happen. It would be easy to work around the vulture capitalists, if the will was there. tbh that’s the only concern I’d have about it, how it was actually implemented.

MoreCashThanDash

24k between wife and I. We could both give up work tomorrow

Herein lies the biggest problem as I see it – you actually have to set the base level pretty low, to the point that it becomes close to poverty, or you have a stonking high tax rate that will discourage many to make the effort to work.

You’d have to be very careful what is defined as “necessary” or “the states responsibility” for non-disabled people of working age. Essentially, reduce it not living on the street, 3 nutritious meals a day, clothing and access to education and medical attention. Or have I just re-invented the workhouse? 😳

geetee1972
    Free Member

£12k would surely be a bit much, unless you altered the tax system to be more like 50% of everything.

The Green Party were proposing £80 a week or £4160 year. I think the suggestion of £12k included housing benefit. The Green Party was proposing to keep housing separate, which makes sense given the enormous discrepancies in cost you have around the country.

ninfan
    Free Member

But all that was solved by Friedmans negative income tax proposal, that was far more equitable, progressive and easier to administer, and retained incentive.

(The difference between CI and NIT being the structure and use of withdrawal rates)

P-Jay
    Free Member

I personally don’t think it would work in the UK.

I like the concept, it a bit like a far less complex version of Tax Credits, everyone gets a lump of money out of taxation, a minimum income – so we do away with Pensions, Sick Pay, Child Benefit, Housing Benefit, JSA so if you can’t work, a basic, but real lifestyle is yours (I understand their are certain payments for chronically disabled people so they aren’t penalised because they cannot work).

Where is would go wrong is that for the hardcore ‘underclass’ who have no intention of working we’d be simply giving them more, for the lowest earners working full time to have it taxed at 45% would mean the jump in lifestyle between not working and working wouldn’t be great enough to give up the lifestyle jump in simply having the time to enjoy life and higher earners will just find new ways not to pay the tax and the whole thing would cripple us.

trail_rat
    Free Member

and before we know it we have re invented the poor house and are being fed soylent green….. are we using make room make room as an instruction manual ?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Citizens Income’ is closed to new replies.