• This topic has 9 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by br.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Choosing a company name – things to consider
  • geoffj

I’ve read so many guides and contradictory advice on this, lets here the STW nuggets on it.

No more than 3 syllables
    Should reflect what the business does / should be inane or abstract
    Should / shouldn’t include your name and or location.

The most limiting factor appears to be the availability of a suitable domain name.

Whaddya reckon then?

King-ocelot
    Free Member

My Dad had a company with Stafford in the title, he expanded and dropped the placename.

meehaja
    Free Member

Globalmegahypercorp.

ourmaninthenorth

(1) It isn’t already registered at Companies House
    (2) It doesn’t contravene the Business Names Act

Bregante

Give us an idea what you do and see what you get?

timber

Do some research, unlike my friend who initially named his company the same as one 2 miles down the road.

jonb
    Free Member

I’ve been told that having your name is a good thing as it inspires trust. If your name is your business then you can’t hide behind a different name if you upset people.

Check any languages in countries where you may operate to make sure you aren’t making a fool of yourself.

Google it.

geoffj

Check any languages in countries where you may operate to make sure you aren’t making a fool of yourself.

Quite, I was considering veelo for at least 15 minutes 😯

RS4KEV

I’ve been told that having your name is a good thing as it inspires trust. If your name is your business then you can’t hide behind a different name if you upset people.

True but,

If it’s something you might want to sell one day or get investment then you don’t want your own name as you can’t sell yourself……

br
    Free Member

The company name can be irrelevent, if you’ve a ‘brand’.

tbh For our limited company we just used our two surnames, luckily it was available.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Choosing a company name – things to consider’ is closed to new replies.