Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Chinese Carbon – warranty experience
  • clubber
    Free Member

I’ve mentioned in a few posts on here that I had a broken Chinese carbon frame.

Given that warranty seems to be one of the top concerns of people when considering ordering a Chinese carbon frame, I thought I’d just provide the story on my experience. I think it compares pretty favourably (if a little slower) with those of UK sourced products.

So, I got a CX frame from Miracle / Ican a few months back.
    http://www.aliexpress.com/store/409931
    http://made-in-ican.en.alibaba.com/

Unfortunately after the first ride, a crack appeared in the top tube – I initially hoped it was just a filler crack but after being used for a while longer, it turned out to be a proper crack.

I contacted Miracle through the email address that I’d initially discused the purchase but this seemed to keep bouncing back. I’ll admit that I was a bit concerned and I couldn’t seem to find a different address to use.

I was pretty busy at the time and didn’t really chase it up straight away but once I found time, I did a bit more research and found their new email address via Alibaba.

Once that happened, they responded very quickly as the had done before and since – usually within a few hours, time zone allowing.

They asked for pics of the bike build and the damage which I provided. On seeing these, they agreed that it was a warranty issue.

The frame size/finish I had wasn’t in stock at that time and they told me it’d be about 3 weeks for a replacement to be available.

As they’d not seen a frame crack there before (something that seems to be backed up by me not being able to find anyone else who’d had problems with them), they also asked me to cut out the section of frame with the crack and post it to them which I did (cost approx £10 for which they sent me a carbon bottle cage in return). From the inside of that section it seemed fairly clear that there was a wrinkle in the carbon layup and that was what had lead to the crack.

Unfortunately at the 3 weeks, they told me that there was a delay in production and it’d be another month.

After that month, the frame was ready as they’d stated and they sent it to me via express delivery and it arrived 4 days later. As requested, they stated on the paperwork that it was a warranty replacement and therefore zero value – as such I didn’t pay any import duty.

I recieved both a new frame and fork (so I have a spare fork now) though I kind of expected that given that the new frame is in UD finish rather than 3k as the original.

That’s pretty much it – The new frame has been ridden a couple of times and is intact (remember the original cracked on the first ride).

I’m a pretty happy customer. I did a lot of research before buying the frame and Mirale/Ican seems to be very well regarded and my experience backs it up, I reckon. I’d certainly buy from them again.

scotroutes

A good outcome and a nice looking bike. I’m currently looking at getting a carbon 29er so will definitely consider ICAN.

FWIW, I think you’ve scored as I find the UD finish more attractive.

njee20
    Free Member

That looks great, agree with the above.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Sounds like a typical bathtub curve failure.

I reckon the UD looks far nicer anyway! 3k looks like aftermarket indicators on a 90’s motorbike.

clubber
    Free Member

I know it’s not fashionable but I like 3k… reminds me of getting a new rowing boat in the early 90s when they started using visible cf 🙂

The UD looks good though it looks very flat on dull days like this morning. Looked great yesterday in the sun.

_daveR
    Free Member

Good to hear.

Still can’t decide on 12k or UD for my new rims!

njee20
    Free Member

I like 3k, not a fan of 12k at all.

clubber
    Free Member

I agree. 12k doesn’t look great IMO.

Ben_H

Lovely background in the pic – a stone’s throw from where I live. 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

It was a beautful day 🙂

_daveR
    Free Member

See, I’m the other way, I think 3k looks like it’s a cheap 3m style wrap!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Chinese UD finish is awesome. 8)

I’ve dealt with Carbonal loads of times and they have been superb also.

granny_ring

Good result OP thanks for sharing the good news.

mrblobby
    Free Member

UD FTW. Sounds like better warranty service than some of the more *ahem* reputable brands.

clubber
    Free Member

Well that’s pretty much how I see it. I think that for this company at least, it’s clear that the warranty certainly isn’t any worse than a UK company and arguably a lot better than many.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Clubber, did you email ican to start with? Interested in their TT framesets

clubber
    Free Member

I found the frame I wanted on Ali express and then emailed them via that about it. Some discussion on geometry, finish and so on and then I placed the order via the website. Pretty straight forward really.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Chinese Carbon – warranty experience’ is closed to new replies.