Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Chilly bottles
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Mrs Nobeer and I were given one of these each last Xmas by sis in law, been a bit underwhelmed by it, as I had viewed it as a cold option, and it’s a bit chunky to be carrying about all day.

I didn’t even realise it can do hot drinks until I read it on the box of my daughter’s new one on Xmas day.

Bloody hell they’re good at keeping stuff hot, better than any other flask I’ve had. 6 hours after filling, water was piping hot making tea up a hill, and 500ml perfect size for 2 cups.

I’m impressed.

Drac

I had one it was very good but lost it so bought a generic one for a fifth of the price which worked just as good. I lost that one too.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

😂

stumpyjon

Welcome to the world of ballet students, must have accessory for all budding Darcys and Acostas. Generic ones seem to do the trick as well.

pandhandj
    Free Member

Daughter got one for chrimbo… All the rage for 16 year old girls apparently!

bruneep

Wife has one for work for her tea, given her lack of breaks* on the ward and it doesn’t look like she’s drinking from a flask, she likes it.

* some patient complained that she was drinking tea whilst she was in same room as it was unprofessional, yet kept asking for drinks for herself……wife was unable to go for breaks due to staff shortages. Got to love the modern day NHS clientele.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, Mrs Nobeer is a nurse too Bruce, in her old job she would quite often come back home from a 12 hour shift with her lunch intact. Ridiculous.

CheesybeanZ

I had to Google what a chilly bottle was ..

The Chilly’s Bottle is a revolutionary reusable bottle that can keep your drinks ice cold for up to 24 hours, helping accelerate the adoption

Sounds like a thermos flask to me .

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’d say it’s potentially better than yer average thermos – small opening so less heat loss.

I still have 2 of the wee robust alloy thermos flasks for lunch duties mind, better for chunky home made soup due to aforementioned bigger opening.

ton

i use one on the bike. water tastes of water out of it, rather than plastic.

ads678

Daughter got one for chrimbo… All the rage for 16 year old girls apparently!

#savetheturtles

sksksksk…..

maccruiskeen

I’d say it’s potentially better than yer average thermos – small opening so less heat loss.

I think although they do hot or cold they’re really aimed more towards cold drinks – compared to a conventional thermos the main difference is the Chillys are a nicer shape to drink straight from the bottle – which would be a slightly hardcore way to drink coffee.

CountZero

First time I’ve actually heard of these, although I think I’ve seen them for sale and not twigged what they are. I’ve got an on-the-go travel flask from Morrisons, in fact I had two, one I kept for cold, the other for hot, but I dropped one when it was full which dislodged the bottom cap and wrecked its insulation, and they don’t seem to do them any more, which is a real shame, they’re very efficient at keeping drinks hot or cold.
    I bought something else, but it’s not so good at keeping a drink hot for a long period, so these Chilly Bottles, or their clones, look like a good alternative.

maccruiskeen

so these Chilly Bottles, or their clones, look like a good alternative.

like I say – they’re good for cold and for drinking straight from the bottle. If its something you’d only use for hot drinks you need to have something else to hand to pour your drinks into. So a flask with some sort of integrated cup can be a neater solution

I use a similar sized 0.47litre stainless Thermos  (as in thermos the brand rather than thermos the generic term) as a nicely portable flask for coffee. I don’t have high hopes for a smaller flask being able to keep stuff hot for all that long but I have to say even in cold weather its keeping things hot for around 12 hours. They’re pretty pricey at RRP but can pop up pretty cheap in TK Maxx.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That’s the one I use for soup Mac, they’re excellent.

cashback

i bought the wife one a couple of years ago, she likes it and used it alot. however since then I get constant emails from them telling me about their new limited addition colours and designs and trying to get me to buy more.
    if the product is good and last a long time and is more environmentally friendly than plastic bottles and that is the main reason people are buying them, i can;t see why i would need a new one just because it has a giraffe on the side.

maccruiskeen

You don’t need to receive constant emails 🙂

CountZero

After seeing this thread, I happened to see several of these flask bottles in Wilco’s on Saturday for a fiver each. Always one for a bargain, I thought I’d give one a try.
    Bloody heck they’re good! I always take a flask of green tea to work, I’m making one at around 6.30 in the morning this week, and I had a late afternoon break today at 3.00pm and the tea was still hot, that’s nearly 8 hours!
    Shows it’s really not worth forking out twenty quid on Amazon when a fiver gets you something just as good.
    Thanks to nobeer for the original post. 😁

manvstarmac

I remember many years ago when Beckham played for Man Utd and got a Thermos from Victoria for Christmas. Fergie was asking him about it and David was extolling the virtues of something that could keep “hot things hot and cold things cold” (you’ll have to do the accents in your own heads). Anyway Fergie asks him what he’s brought to training in the Thermos, to which he replies “coffee and ice cream”

rossburton
    Free Member

which would be a slightly hardcore way to drink coffee.

I got one last Christmas, I can’t recommend it for “hot coffee on the go”. Keeps the coffee hot forever as I discovered burning my tongue trying to sip coffee from the little spout. Only use it for keeping water cool in the car if we’re at the beach and a normal bottle will warm up too much.

If we’re recommending bottles then I really rate the Aladin bottles you can get on amazon, especially for kids. Top unscrews for easy washing, doesn’t taste of plastic after a month, funky patterns for the kids and they do adult sized one litre bottles too.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Bought a cheap clone from Amazon. Most impressed. Never heard of them before, thanks,

toby1

Hmm, wondered what use the 250ml bottles were, now thinking it might make a decent way of taking nice coffee into work provided I preheat the bottle too…

nash

Just the one thing that annoys me with these bottles is that they don’t quite fit into a standard bottle cage, however I’m sure someone will bring some out soon in coordinated colours and suitably expensive.

TiRed

Camelback Forge trumps a Chilly for on the go hot drinking. Will stay warm or cold for hours and you don’t need to remove the lid to drink. Absolutely brilliant things. Liek teh Chilly they are foil wrapped, so avoid the dishwasher. We had an orane one that peeled. Also the stopper is somewhat brittle plastic, so don’t drop it!

And yes they fit in a bottle cage. They’ll scratch of course.

toby1

Camelback Forge trumps a Chilly

Thinking about it, I’ve got one of these at the back of the cupboard I can use, thanks for the reminder!

pocpoc
    Free Member

I picked up a free generic one of these at a trade show last year. Best show freebie I’ve had.
    It’s now in daily use when I’m sat at my desk. So much nicer to be able to sip on cold water rather than a room temperature glass of the stuff. I find myself drinking much more water because of it.

stumpy01

I don’t know if they are exactly the same thing, but we have a few of these kicking around the office with supplier branding on them – must have been dropped off as freebies.

Paying £25 for one seems crazy when you can get them for well under a tenner.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Chilly bottles’ is closed to new replies.