Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Child trailer (Chariot) and 29ers – fit okay??
  • sweaman2
    Free Member

This might be a bit backward but I’m looking at getting a utility bike; one of the key activities will be to take sweajnr to nursery in a chariot or similar. I don’t have either bike or chariot currently but bike will probably be first. So before commiting to a new wheel size just checking the bigger wheels don’t interfere with the workings of the Chariot. Any experiences much appreciated.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I have had no problems putting my Chariot and any of my bikes. The trailer attachment hangs off the axle anyway. If you have a bolt through rear axle that will probably give you more problems and Chariot trailers are now Thule trailers.

farm-boy

As long as it is one of the newer Chariots that attach to the axle you will be fine. The older frame clamped ones won’t reach around a 29er wheel.

It is not a big modification to get the hitch to fit on a 12mm through axle either.

hatter

I run my Chariot off my 29er with no problems, the standard hitch fits Q/R and nutted axles, they also do rear axle adapters for Hub gears and 142 x 12mm screw-thru axles so they fit pretty much everything.

And like Roter said, they’re Thule now, not Chariot and Madison are bringing them in.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Thanks all – good to know. I’d have hated to get a bike and then discover it didn’t work for one of the main purposes within a year..

neilc1881
    Free Member

By utility bike are you thinking something like a Kona Ute? We have one and although our very old trailer won’t fit on a 700cc/29er it will fit on the Ute as it can attach to the pannier racks which are the same diameter tubing as a chainstay.
    Family bike packing trip, lightweight it was not!

IMAG1084 by neil.d.cox, on Flickr

farm-boy

If you do end up with a 12mm axle this might be a better option than my bodge of boring out the hitch and spacing with a washer (to clear my crabon frame) which has left me low on threads engaged on the axle:

http://www.robertaxleproject.com/

I have just ordered one now as I have lots of big adventures planned.

Sanny
    Free Member

Fargo and three year old Chariot work just fine. 😀

I’d heartily recommend the Fargo though a Steel Jones, a Surly Ogre or ECR would no doubt be equally as good. The Fargo works really well loaded with a seat on the back too.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Child trailer (Chariot) and 29ers – fit okay??’ is closed to new replies.