Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Chewbacca actor dead…
  • Poopscoop

Peter Mayhew. His family have just confirmed his passing. Aged 74.😟

Drac

Harry_the_Spider

Sad.

You punched it Chewie!

anagallis_arvensis

Never got that medal!!!! 🙁

cynic-al
    Free Member

Worth looking for the SW footage with Chewie speaking in it for LOLs.

RIP

trumpton
    Free Member

RIP. What a legend

easily
    Free Member

Sad, but he could have hung on till May 4th.

tewit
    Free Member

Excellent stuff easily. That’s how I remember my wife’s birthday.😁

eddiebaby
    Free Member

RIP. What a legend

Man in panto costume you wouldn’t recognise in street? Replaced in movies by other man in panto costume?
    It is sad he is dead, but legend?

Nico
    Free Member

Man in panto costume you wouldn’t recognise in street? Replaced in movies by other man in panto costume?

He wasn’t even the green cross man.

But don’t forget his legendary growl. Although that was apparently courtesy of the sound department. Not that I’d know. I’ve never seen Star Wars.

rOcKeTdOg

The same week as Sir Roger too ☹️

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

The same week as Sir Roger too

Very sad to hear this, almost sounds like it happened years ago. Ps. I know you know 😉

I think I might die on here then folk might forget and I won’t be dead. Result!

colournoise

cynic-al
    Subscriber
    Worth looking for the SW footage with Chewie speaking in it for LOLs.

jamj1974

Man who despite wearing suit that covered entire body and face apart from eyes, convincingly portrayed emotions from despair to joy to hilarity and people could ‘buy in’ to him as a sentient being. Man who was part of some of the most successful movies in history. Seems pretty legendary to me…

deadkenny
    Free Member

He still played Chewie up to Force Awakens but due to health he only did some scenes. Then retired.

Also a legend at conventions, charity events, on TV, loads of apparences in and out of costume and a thoroughly nice guy apparently. I would think it’s a bit more tricky to find any old random 7 foot guy for these events, though it probably happened at times.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Man who despite wearing suit that covered entire body and face apart from eyes, convincingly portrayed emotions from despair to joy to hilarity and people could ‘buy in’ to him as a sentient being.

What a load of bollox!

Rich_s

Can’t believe there’s not been a mention of his funeral yet. Apparently going to be buried at Wookey Hole.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Legend? why not? A legend to a lot of people for sure. Star Wars is one of the most well known and iconic films ever made and for people of my generation was a significant part of my life…one of my earliest memories was my dad taking me out to see something ‘special’ and queueing up for what seemed like hours to get into the cinema and being utterly wow’d by what I saw. Nobody had seen anything like it up until that point…it was the movie equivalent of the Beetles it was so significant and has shaped and influenced movies and the industry ever since, not to mention inventing the concept of movie merchandising showing that the merchandise industry is far more valuable than the movie (wether that is a good thing or not is debatable). It also created a whole new industry in the innovative special effects they invented, and all the technology that has come out of that.

So yes, I’d say he’s a legend and along with all the original cast and crew. They took what was a pretty amateur outfit, unproven director, actors and a bunch of nerds who make models and next to no budget and a very flakey original screen script and made one of the most iconic films in history. It was a movie nobody thought would or could ever succeed and made it what it was. The newer movies prove that you can throw as much money at things as you like…get amazing actors and special effects and all the necessary ingredients you thought would guarantee a good movie and it doesn’t work. The original cast and crew did the opposite so that is pretty special. Depends what you define as a legend.

Kuco

RIP 🙁

If someone can be called a legend for kicking a football around then imo anyone can be called a legend.

nastybobby
    Free Member

Regularly frequented the same pub as me in the late 80’s, never had the courage to talk to him though as I thought he probably went in there to relax rather than be badgered by Chewie/SW fans. My sister viewed the house he lived in before he moved to the States. I was hoping to view it myself just to ogle his memorabilia but sadly it was empty. RIP.

jamj1974

What a load of bollox!

Always nice to get such a rich, considered response…

RobHilton
    Free Member

*succinct

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Chewbacca actor dead…’ is closed to new replies.