Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 154 total)
  • Cheeky trails: risk and reward
  • bigyinn
    Free Member

Cheeky trails? Oh yes! As long as its a public right of way, its fair game. However, the phrase “don’t be a dick” has never been more true.
    I’ve got miles and miles of decent footpaths on the IOW, plenty of bridleways too and yes I will ride them all!
    Anyone whos ridden the coastal path between Shanklin and Ventnor will have encountered the Luccombe Loon. He loves it. He’s even gone to the trouble of putting extra kissing gates and concrete steps to make you stop. If thos fail then he pretends to call the police and tells you they will confiscate your bike and sell it on the mainland. I’ve dedicated a couple of strava segments to him.
    I usually debate with him for a bit for sport and then tell him that i’m heading to Ventnor, so could the police meet me there as it’ll be easier for them too.
    They never appear.

IdleJon

Around here the ROWs are very randomly arranged. You could be riding along a bridleway for a few miles that ends at a junction with a footpath. Nowhere to go (legitimately) other than turn back, or ride the FP. And there are many old hollow-ways, drove roads and farm tracks which have been used by all sorts of traffic for centuries but are now classified as FPs. We haven’t got the horsey background that some parts of the UK have, which means that almost everything got lumped in as a footpath.

Even so, I’ve never felt guilty riding where I’m not supposed to be, and have rarely been confronted.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

just because you think the rules are outdated doesn’t mean its right to blatantly ignore them

What I am sayaing though, is that we should respect the laws/rules and regulations until such time as they are changed.
    It is wrong for groups to pick and choose which rules they want to obey and which ones they dont.

Ever been drunk in a pub? Still technically a criminal offence.
    Ever carried a ladder or planks across pavement? Yup, technically illegal too.
    There are plenty of outdated laws in this country that millions fail to comply with on a daily basis because they are patently ridiculous, inapplicable to the way life has changed since they were introduced, and harming no one if they are ignored.
    I ride where I like, with courtesy and deference to slower and more vulnerable trail and countryside users, and causing as little impact to the environment as I can manage. Anyone who has a problem with me enjoying the countryside in such a manner can safely be ignored. Ymmv.

tlr

martinhutch

It is probably easier to decide not to ride footpaths when you have the eastern Peak BW network on your doorstep, though. You’re not exactly short of good quality technical riding.

I actually think that the eastern Peak and Sheffield were poorly served by bridleways until the recent opening up of Burbage, Froggatt, Curbar and the Eastern Moors, thanks to great advocacy efforts. Riding from Sheffield involved a lot of road miles to link bits of bridleway.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

When I was a kid I was out on the farm with my dad when we found a couple of rambles so far off the path it was interesting, they were adament they were right so we got them to show us where they were on the map, they were great at being confident but really couldn’t explain why the wood behind they was not on the map in the place they were claiming it was (or the river)

tlr

scuttler

I feel the classification is different but the principle is identical.

I too am uncomfortable with the roost image portrayed in the mainstream MTB media. Scratches on rocks however are mere evidence of passing traffic. Sure it’s visual but it’s no different to the wear associated with the passage of feet/hooves/crampons. The roosting and the wear and tear are the same regardless of the classification of the route on the map.

I’d still say it’s a bit disingenuous to liken an individual rider or two frequently riding footpaths for pure personal enjoyment to the organised politically motivated, publicised, single action Kinder Trespass. They had no other means of making themselves heard. We are lucky enough to have a plethora of ways to point our point of view forward should we want to, from Facebook to lobbying. Middle aged men enjoying themselves shouldn’t really hide behind this facade.

Do those who feel that they are politically motivated to ride footpaths also get involved in trail advocacy, trying to get more routes legalised for the good of all riders?

chakaping
    Free Member

Apologies that I don’t have time to write a direct reply, but I think this blog I wrote a few years ago addresses your point…

MTB access rights: Our mass trespass is already happening

I’ve become involved in MTB advocacy since, campaigning for increased access, but I still think it requires a shift of perspective.
    For the powers that be to acknowledge that footpath riding is widespread and that the genie won’t go back in the bottle – so let’s make the rules reflect the reality and embrace the “public good” aspect of MTB.

bigwill
    Free Member

I’m a farmer and mountain bikers that rides cheeky trails so I see both sides of the argument. Most farmers probably don’t give a monkeys about a mountain biker riding along a footpath as long as it doesn’t affect their livelihood or where they live. It’s a civil offence so most couldn’t be bothered/don’t have the time/ don’t have the money to pursue it. So if the footpath goes through the middle of the farmstead and you ride through then they might get a little annoyed just because it’s their private space, but if the path is over the back of that field, or across that moor, what’s the problem and most probably don’t care. Where farmers get really hacked is when it starts damaging his livelihood. Leaving gates open or riding that cheeky trail where people divert off the path because of a wet spot and ride all over a crop, which technically aren’t trespass but criminal damage. The other thing a farmer worries about is opening up further access, often MX bikes see tracks and follow them, or smart arse “I have rights, you know” types trying to establish permanent rights of way. The current law is stupid and access needs to be increased especially to bicycles as they do very little long term damage and do not chew up trails like horses. As others have mentioned it’s about having consideration, if we are considerate to the farmer or owner, his livelihood and property, don’t leave gates open, chase livestock down, or trash fences, most won’t mind, infact I bet deep down they are probably a little jealous that you are enjoying yourself, as they work on. There are of course cocks that will say get off my land for no reason, there are also cocks that thing it’s fine to leave a livestock gate open, works both ways.

neilthewheel

I’ve been working with the British Horse Society on Project 2026 to record lost or under-recorded rights before the cut-off date. So far we’ve submitted 60 formal applications in County Durham with no sign of the supply of work drying up soon.
    A large number of these routes are currently classed as footpaths but should be bridleways or restricted byways.
    It’s a nonsense to say footpaths are only for walkers- the sub-clause which is so often omitted is “unless higher rights exist “.
    Of course, all these hundreds of hours of research and form-filling could be saved by changing the law to make all rights of way available to all users.

hardtailonly

Do those who feel that they are politically motivated to ride footpaths also get involved in trail advocacy, trying to get more routes legalised for the good of all riders?

No. Sorry. I don’t.

I do contribute in other ways to society through my work, which tries to make things a little better for some of the more vulnerable members of our society. And at weekends I take care of the kids so that my wife can do similar (better) work with other disadvantaged sections of society. The time to campaign and ‘be political’ about Rights of Way, is, therefore, limited … and I’d rather be out riding with the relatively small amount of personal time I have to myself.

But in any case, I kind of agree with this …

I still think it requires a shift of perspective.
    For the powers that be to acknowledge that footpath riding is widespread and that the genie won’t go back in the bottle – so let’s make the rules reflect the reality and embrace the “public good” aspect of MTB.

chakaping
    Free Member

And so do the Welsh Gov’t apparently.

😀

dissonance

I’d still say it’s a bit disingenuous to liken an individual rider or two frequently riding footpaths for pure personal enjoyment to the organised politically motivated, publicised, single action Kinder Trespass

It wasnt a one off event (the follow up in Winnats pass for example) but is the only one really remembered due to the arrests and press coverage. The reason for it being needed was the violence and aggression shown towards individual walkers or two frequently walking the hills for pure personal enjoyment.
    As for alternate options such as lobbying. Those were available to the walkers at the time as well. The Ramblers association, for example, was opposed to direct action, and wanted to stick with just talking. The trespassers disagreed.
    I will ride on footpaths with much the same approach to walking on them eg being careful round others and minimising damage to them. As others have said depending on the surface could do far more damage riding a bridleway in bad weather than a footpath next to it.

Andy-R

I’m (mostly) on the Isle of Man, and I have to admit that a lot of what I ride could be classed as “cheeky”. However, in more than thirty years of riding, I’ve only been properly caught once, by a couple of guys on a tractor who insisted that I rode back down the way I’d come up. This in spite of me protesting that it was a pity to lose all this altitude…..
    It would be embarrasing to be caught at my age now anyway, because the people doing the catching would be a sight younger than me, most like.

In Greece, I just ride wherever I choose and I’ve never had any grief from anyone, quite the opposite in fact, as farmers and shepherds have often told me about new (to me) paths and tracks.

rjmccann101
    crazy-legs

And so do the Welsh Gov’t apparently.

It’s a re-tabled motion – the original one got moved very obviously to a backburner I think on the basis of Brexit screwing up absolutely everything it comes into contact with.

To be fair, there was a whole load of cycle racing on the highways legislation that was supposed to be sorted by now as well and Brexit is the cause behind that being sidelined too.

dannyh
    Free Member

Not so long ago I had the following exchange with a dog walker. I mis-heard the opening line as “can I ask for some information?” So, being a helpful sort (and thinking he might be lost or something), I ‘engaged’. What he actually said was.

Him: Can I give you some information?

Me: Yeah, sure.

Him: You aren’t allowed to ride bikes here.

Me: Thanks for the advice. Are you the landowner or his or her appointed agent? Because I’d prefer to deal with them on matters of access.

Him: Actually, you are one, as this is owned by the county council.

Me: Oh, that’s a stroke of luck, then.

Him: You are being officious and rude.

I may not have been able to stifle the laugh fully. He clearly didn’t have a sense of irony.

I have also ended up riding behind a woman who had just finished putting some pretty ineffectual branches across a path. As I lobbed the last one a good few yards into the undergrowth I went for ‘bemused cheery bloke’ mode.

I said “I don’t know why people bother doing this, it only takes me a couple of seconds to move each one”. She spat back “It’s because you’re not supposed to ride your bike here”. I chose not to point out that this was close to an admission of guilt and said “Oh well, it seems a tremendous waste of time to me” whilst chuckling affably. She looked like she could quite easily spontaneously combust.

jonostevens
    Free Member

My favourite cheeky trail conflict was being challenged by a teenage girl who was with her mum. I’d stopped to let them pass but she still told me off and tried to tell me how to read a map. I came over all pompous and told her when she’d been to the Himilayas and trekked she could advise me on map reading (I was guided the whole way through my trek, but still she wasn’t to know ha). The trail was actually neither a footpath or a bridleway, so we were both in the wrong.

That said, my opinions have changed since I had kids. I now like having somewhere I can take my children where I know there isn’t going to be a biker haring around the corner, and I can only presume that the older generation amongst us like this feeling too. I like that my 72 year old mum can walk her dog in the same environment.

Someone else has pointed out that if a cyclist is pottering down a footpath then there’s no problem, but let’s be honest, none of us want to do that. I mountain bike because I love going fast down a trail, Strava or no Strava. I can’t trust myself to go slowly on a footpath and tbh honest I have no interest in doing so, so I stick to bridleways now.

I’m lucky as I now live somewhere where there are great legal trails all over the place so it’s rarely an issue. There’s lot of room for everyone. But in local woods where there are different users in a small areaI can now see why there’s conflict, and I look back on what I used to ride with a little bit of guilt.

higgo
    Free Member

The rules say no bikes on footpaths.

They’re actually not.
    Firstly I’ve only read half of the first page before I got bored. This has been done many times. In England and Wales the ‘rules’ are that I don’t have a protected right to ride on a footpath. I don’t have a right and if the landowner or agent objects we have a civil issue but it’s nobody else’s business.
    For example… directly across from my house is a field that has a footpath running down it. I know the farmer very well – I ate his sausage only last week – and he has no issue with me riding down the path. If I were to meet someone walking up the path and they told me I shouldn’t be there as it’s a footpath and the rules say so, are they right?

It’s not about rules though is it? It’s about common sense. I ride on stuff round here year round that’s either marked as a footpath or not even on the map. On the other hand there are BWs round here that I wouldn’t go near on a sunny Sunday or bank holiday.

I’ve been riding what some people would call ‘cheeky’ trails for over 20 years but also running, walking and dragging my kids round the same paths so know a bit about shared use. In 20 years of ‘cheeky’ I’ve only had two brief conversations with people who thought I shouldn’t be there. Neither of them was an interested party and in both cases the trail I was on is now a concessionary BW.

somafunk

I now like having somewhere I can take my children where I know there isn’t going to be a biker haring around the corner

In that case as it is a shared trail then the biker is riding like a dick if he is haring round a blind corner.

Someone else has pointed out that if a cyclist is pottering down a footpath then there’s no problem, but let’s be honest, none of us want to do that. I mountain bike because I love going fast down a trail

If you go fast down a trail (legal or not) and hoon it past other trail users then you are, by definition, a dick

I can’t trust myself to go slowly on a footpath and tbh honest I have no interest in doing so, so I stick to bridleways now.

Yep…..Dick for sure

thegeneralist
    Free Member

My normal response to some random mithering that I shouldn’t be on that footpath is the ‘I know, crazy isn’t it?’.

I’d highly recommend this approach. It works brilliantly as they normally respond with some slightly rational argument which you can then debate, and generally start to win. At which point they start to get annoyed and say “BUT this is a FOOTPATH, YOU’RE NOT ALLOWED to ride here.
    At which point you just respond ” Yes, I know IT’S TOTALLY RIDICULOUS isn’t it?
    And then it just goes round and round with them getting more and more annoyed at the lack of progress and their complete lack of persuasive arguments why you shouldn’t be there.

scotroutes

I can’t trust myself to go slowly on a footpath and tbh honest I have no interest in doing so, so I stick to bridleways now.

Yep…..Dick for sure

Can’t disagree with that assessment.

jonostevens
    Free Member

Bit of a harsh assessment – staying off footpaths on my bike and riding where I’m permitted to allow others a place to go where they won’t find a bike makes me a dick?

And FWIW, I always stop and let other users go past me first.

chakaping
    Free Member

Good post Higgo

This has been a pretty decent thread, by current STW standards actually.

sirromj

staying off footpaths on my bike and riding where I’m permitted to allow others a place to go where they won’t find a bike makes me a dick?

They’re just being cheeky.

scuttler

Yup. Dumb. Arbitrary classification of a line on a map doesnt give you permission to blast it just like you wouldn’t drive at NSL where there were obvious hazards like parked cars, people turning, shit weather. Tons of paths round here you can blast it on plus bridleways that are narrow and busy (Cut Gate).

Poopscoop

Im a bit odd with footpaths.

I don’t have problems with others riding them (as long as rule 1 is applied obviously) but I can’t but help feeling guilty when I personally do it!!

It’s to the point where it actually lessons the pleasure of the ride when I do ride cheeky…. so I almost always stay on the bridleways.

Like I said, I’m a bit odd with this one as I also think it is ridiculous that we can’t ride on footpaths in the 21st century!

Mugboo

After many years of having seemingley grumpy folk saying ‘wheres yer bell’ I thought I’d try one. It only bloody works! Not only do they mostly step aside but they say thank you and smile instead of scowling 🙂

jonostevens
    Free Member

I got myself a bell last year too. People do seem to appreciate it and are often surprised I’ve got one.

Of course you have to exercise caution when riding bridleways just as you would any other trail, slow down for other users, be courteous etc. But my point is (if clumsily made) that people expect to see a rider on a bridleway now, they’re surprised if they see us on a footpath. And that’s because we’re not allowed on there, and I think that should remain.

People who don’t like cyclists sharing the trails with them for whatever reason should still have that space they can go. Bikes can be intimidating to some, and even bikers approaching at a moderate pace before stopping can be noisy and disruptive to their peace. Let them have that space I say, we’ve got loads of other places to go.

And we’re the first to complain if we find walkers on trail centre trails. What’s the difference?

neilthewheel

People who don’t like cyclists sharing the trails with them for whatever reason should still have that space they can go.

Which is what open access gave them in spades but I don’t see many using it.

Esme
    Free Member

people expect to see a rider on a bridleway now, they’re surprised if they see us on a footpath

Most people don’t have a clue about different types of Rights of Way, and certainly don’t know what type of trail they’re actually walking on.

martinhutch

But my point is (if clumsily made) that people expect to see a rider on a bridleway now, they’re surprised if they see us on a footpath.

Fair enough. My experience has been that the kind of people who are surprised to see us on a footpath are equally surprised to see us on a bridleway. The conflicts that you talk about seem (to me) less about our presence per se, more the style of rider.

If riders go hammering around a blind corner on any sort of public path, FP or BW, then it’s not surprising that the people they encounter in a flurry of panic braking and flying gravel will be intimidated and potentially hostile. And the anger generated by that interaction then gets passed on to every other rider who is approaching at pootle pace, pulling over to the side and greeting them with a smile.

As usual, it comes back to rule no.1. If we want the mindset of walkers to change in our favour, the mindset of riders feeling they need to go flat out at all times, regardless of ROW status, needs to change first.

eg Loughrigg Terrace (BW) would be a fine, flat out blast when it’s empty, but it never is, so I’m happy to cruise down there and make sure my interactions with walkers are as positive as I can make them.

hardtailonly

And we’re the first to complain if we find walkers on trail centre trails. What’s the difference?

Totally different. Trail centres make up such a miniscule proportion of the countryside and overall trail network. I accept they are great as a purpose built all weather option for those who just want a blast and don’t want to think/plan about navigation.

Not sure that, legally, walkers are not allowed on trail centre trails anyway?

And many trail centres also have a network of dedicated walker trails where bikes are not permitted.

There is a case for segregation at such places, but in the great outdoors, there is room for everyone and all trails should be shared use in my view, so long as everyone obeys rule #1.

scotroutes

People who don’t like cyclists sharing the trails with them for whatever reason should still have that space they can go. Bikes can be intimidating to some, and even bikers approaching at a moderate pace before stopping can be noisy and disruptive to their peace. Let them have that space I say, we’ve got loads of other places to go.

Except that, relatively speaking, we don’t.

All these attempts to justify separation of walker and rider flounder as soon as you cross the border into Scotland where it has proven to be a non-issue. And don’t start the “it’s a lot less busy” nonsense. The Scottish access laws apply to everywhere, including areas around Scotlands largest towns and cities.

chakaping
    Free Member

Most people don’t have a clue about different types of Rights of Way, and certainly don’t know what type of trail they’re actually walking on.

This point is worth quoting for greater attention. I have a fairly decent understanding of RoWs and still often don’t have a Danny LaRue what status of track I’m on.

All these attempts to justify separation of walker and rider flounder as soon as you cross the border into Scotland where it has proven to be a non-issue. And don’t start the “it’s a lot less busy” nonsense. The Scottish access laws apply to everywhere, including areas around Scotlands largest towns and cities.

Spot-on – and ultimately the fact that there’s been a large and successful test-case on the same landmass should give us real hope that change is ultimately inevitable for England as well as Wales.

steamtb

It’s another them and us situation which as a society we are pretty good at creating and escalating. Open access to cyclists and work on users getting along and being courteous would be a lot more beneficial all round.

I live in a rural area and pretty much straight onto the trails, of which, the bridleways are very popular with horses and many really don’t like bikes, so if I don’t know them I usually get off my bike and wait until they pass. There are loads of footpaths, a number of which are only really suitable for mountain bikes and in the last five years I’ve not seen a single walker on them (and we walk, bike or run up there every day). That doesn’t stop a really unpleasant individual keep blocking the trails and putting up dozens of signs saying cycling not allowed.

A perfect example of the bizarre way even council employees get bogged down in them and us. Several weeks ago a countryside warden was up there, cutting some trees down to block some trails, at the same time, we were out walking, I was removing partly fallen heavy branches hanging over footpaths (the kind of branches that could lead to a council getting sued) and clearing some edges of the path that walkers were tripping over. I also spent a fair bit of time clearing up dog poo and litter. The countryside warden spent the same few hours blocking trails and left. All a bit odd, but I genuinely believe shared access will improve everybodies experience; more respect and consideration for each other and our environment.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I have nothing useful to add at this point but top post goes to higgo for dedication to securing access rights:

I know the farmer very well – I ate his sausage only last week

pothead
    Free Member

Not really a cheeky trail as its defo a footpath and out of bounds but the descent from skiddaw and onto ullock pike is probably the best descent I’ve ridden in the UK, passed about 20 or so elderly ramblers on the way down last summer who without exception were amazed to see 2 bikes coming down and all moved aside to let us have a clear run, smiling as we passed. Encountered a younger couple further down the ridge, the bloke saw us coming and made a great effort to make sure we had to stop before muttering something about dickhead mountain bikers before going on his way. Scotland has the right idea with access laws, looks like Wales is following suit in the near future and good old England………

irc

“All these attempts to justify separation of walker and rider flounder as soon as you cross the border into Scotland where it has proven to be a non-issue.”

In the main. A year or two post access laws I did have a walker shouting at me and Mrs IRC that cycling wasn’t allowed around Milngavie Reservoirs. In fairness to him Scottish Water hadn’t updated signage. Water of a ducks back to me but she found it unpleasant.

Scottish Water subsequently ignored e-mails from me and my local councilor requesting the signs be amended. I had to get my MSP involved before they would do anything and remove the “No Cycling” signs.

Then there is the odd local problem like the Glen Lyon Munros

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-27243818

But I agree walker V cylist conflict in general is not a problem in Scotland and the access laws have worked well.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

“All these attempts to justify separation of walker and rider flounder as soon as you cross the border into Scotland where it has proven to be a non-issue.”

Does anyone know of any studies/surveys/data gatheing or anything that have been done in this?

dissonance

But my point is (if clumsily made) that people expect to see a rider on a bridleway now, they’re surprised if they see us on a footpath.

That can just as easily be an argument for more riding on footpaths so they get used to it. Although I would agree with Esme about people not knowing the path status in many cases.
    Only dangerous incident I have had with a cyclist was on a bridleway with the moron riding round a blind corner flat out.
    If I dont have decent sightlines then I will cut down the speed so wont come flying round a corner into someone and, once I see someone, I will drop the speed as necessary.
    Same rule applies whether on footpath/bridleway or trail centre.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 154 total)

The topic ‘Cheeky trails: risk and reward’ is closed to new replies.