Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • check out this bad boy!!!!
  • daftvader
    Free Member

morning…

a couple of days ago I agreed to fix some bikes for a friend as the likelihood of finding a bike shop to fully service 5 bikes in 2 days was slim to none. 1 trek, 3 islabikes and this….
    [/url]IMG_0877 by daftvader77, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]IMG_0879 by daftvader77, on Flickr[/img]
    I think I’m in love with its retro weirdness, and yes I know about the weeds, fence (not ours)and poor paving… the garden is a work in very slow progress
    cheers

edit… cant get the pic of the forks to go the right way up for some reason

chilled76
    Free Member

Is that half a lemon?

BigDummy
    Free Member

These were very exciting at the time. I remember test-riding a PRST-1 in about 2001 and really liking it. Couldn’t afford it.

🙂

daftvader
    Free Member

chilled 😀 close, its a dog chewed ball pool ball

rickmeister

It was made from pure unobtainium at the time it was originally out… cost a fortune compared to other bikes…

A real test of Marin’s lifetime bearing warranty…

joolsburger
    Free Member

I agree they go past ugly and out the other side not sure about the gold forks on that one. Seem quite sought after S/H.

daftvader
    Free Member

tbh if I had more time with it I would probably taken it for a ride, just to see how it went. everything seemed to be fine (best condition bike out of all of them) except for the ridiculously long chain which I couldn’t fathom

oxym0r0n

Originally the husbands bike now passed off onto the wife even though she is too shot for it (so he can buy his new Trek)?

EDIT: Chain looks too long!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

They look different to the original forks. Not slab-sided enough and kinda bodged…

Big Grippr dropouts always struck me as a good idea.

rewski
    Free Member

Saw one of these being ridden down cannon st london the other day, it got my attention.

amedias
    Free Member

Are post 2000 bikes retro now? or is it just anything with 26in wheels? 😉

z1ppy

The fork look different because it a Whyte JW2, the predecessor budget version of the PRST

daftvader
    Free Member

it was the in laws bike given to wife of brother… probably right that the chain was too long but when it was on the big ring it was perfect. if I had have shortened it then I think it would have been a problem . plus when sitting on it the suspension pulled the slack out. by this time tho I had spent 11 hours on the bikes after work and was too fried to figure it out.

BigDummy
    Free Member

devash
    Free Member

Been a few up for grabs on ebay lately.

oxym0r0n

From the article:

The Stratos-designed X-Fusion coil shock isn’t as small bump supple compared to the low air shock pressure we used on PRST-1, but though it still dived under front wheel braking, bottom out is more progressive and less startling.

How times have changed…

Sui
    Free Member

the lifetime bearings that spent their life being replaced..?

DezB
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure they don’t come out the other side of ugly. They sit right in the middle of ugly, where it’s usually preceded by the f word.
    I rode a friend of a friend’s one and felt like it rocked about like a dinghy on a stormy sea. Quite embarrassing to have something so grim between the legs too.

Kato

I used to have a 4. Loved it. Got peanuts when I sold it though.

daftvader
    Free Member

DezB… never been out on the lash in Essex then? 😆

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

he fork look different because it a Whyte JW2, the predecessor budget version of the PRST

Gotcha.

Rings a bell, now you mention it.

derekfish
    Free Member

I had one of those, it was an amazing step forward at the time I remember,it got me back climbing stuff I hadn’t managed to climb for years, ugly looking thing but rode really nicely, about the only bike that looks better with mudguards fitted.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘check out this bad boy!!!!’ is closed to new replies.