Home Forums Bike Forum Cheap(ish)/reliable 1x conversion for old triple chainring MTB – what set up?

• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by 5lab.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cheap(ish)/reliable 1x conversion for old triple chainring MTB – what set up?
  • oggintheogg
    Free Member

As my old but much loved 26” Ti gets more obsolete (it appears I can’t get any replacement chainrings for my Middleburns RS8 cranks) I’m looking at converting it to 1x.<u></u><u></u>

Any recommended set ups to do this? I’m thinking Deore derailleur and XT shifters? (or Shimano Cues perhaps?)<u></u><u></u>

<u></u> <u></u>

Limitations:<u></u><u></u>

<li class=”m_4280729142977413663MsoListParagraph” style=”margin: 0cm; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Aptos, sans-serif;”>I’d like to keep the existing rear wheel which has an HG hub (are there cheap 12 speed cassettes that fit hyperglide hubs?)<u></u><u></u>
      <li class=”m_4280729142977413663MsoListParagraph” style=”margin: 0cm; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Aptos, sans-serif;”>I’d like to retain the existing Middleburn cranks by either getting a mono spider and separate wide narrow chainring or fitting an Uno Thick thin spider/chainring combo (whichever gives the best chainline).
    n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

As a quick conversion, won’t a replacement 104bcd n/w ring on the middle of that triple, plus removing the old inner and outer rings make it 1x?

nicko74

Funnily enough I’m halfway through doing the exact same thing – also to an old much loved 26″ TI hardtail. 11 speed (Shimano, smallest cog 11T) will fit an HG hub. RS8s are direct mount, right, so not sure about chainrings?

My previous specs were XT M770 3×9, LX rear mech, XT shifters L&R, Hope Pro 2 wheels.

New (currently in build) specs are:

– Sunrace 34T 104BCD Narrow/wide chainring to fit the existing XT spider. £20 or so. Sunrace 11-46 11 speed cassette to fit the existing HG hub. c£40

– RH XT M8000 11 speed shifter c£40. XT M8000 short cage rear mech £35

– 11spd chain £20.

All from bike-discount; you could definitely save money with Deore for the cassette, mech and chain.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have got converted triples on two of my bikes. I had to buy different (longer?) chainring bolts and some spacers to get the chain line how I wanted it. I moved the ring inboard so the chain line wasn’t so severe in the biggest sprocket as I deemed that more important than the smallest one.

ampthill

You know BETD took over the Middleburn stuff

They still sell an RS8

I feel i most be missing something

oggintheogg
    Free Member

Out of stock on middle rings and they won’t be making any more due to lack of demand.

pacman404
    Free Member

I put a sales bin Race Face n/w ring on middle of an old shimano 3x crankset, with Microshift AdventX for the rest. Cheap and all works perfectly, I’d get Microshift again

5lab
    Free Member

Out of stock on middle rings and they won’t be making any more due to lack of demand.

right, but if you order a 104bcd spider (as above) you can run whatever NW ring you fancy on there?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.