Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cheapest way to strap two bikes to an A3.
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

So in the pursuit of my 14 year olds dominance of mtb or just a sheer life of riding for smiles I’ve suggested Mrs WS should start shuttling us to the top of a local hill where we can then meet her at the bottom, think Stevie chainsaw Smith, season’s and his mum, we’re that committed and I believe he has half a chance. I’ve got the route in my mind and ready to go. We’ve entered the world of bangernomics of late so muddy bikes on cars ain’t a problem, don’t want them inside as it’s still quite tidy and we have to use it as an every day motor not just an uplift bus.

plus-one

Mate has those suction cup bike holders. Super easy on and off.

tthew

Boot lid rack is the cheapest, if you’re not bothered about trailer electrics and light board. Most aren’t

jam-bo

Towrope. Hang on tight…

alric
    Free Member

get a cheap rack, and some extra straps from B&Q, cant go wrong

wrightyson
    Free Member

What sort of rack? We’ve got the usual expensive Thule bike roof bar holders but there’s no roof bars or **** all on the Audi. So getting anything to go on the roof to work with them is 160 quid minimum. What are those things you last on the hatchback like? As I say a bit of paint rub on the car boot is no biggy.

matt_outandabout

Second hand rack for boot or roof rack and bike racks from Gumtree.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Tow board lights isn’t really a problem, think again chainsaws back yard, chances of meeting old bill will be very very minimal. If Mrs ws could drive my van it wouldn’t be a problem but the super Audi is the only option.

tthew

What sort of rack?

What are those things you last on the hatchback like?

We had a decathlon one and used it pretty successfully for a few years, including some holiday trips of a couple of hundred miles. If the Audi has a significant hatch top spoiler, that can be a problem because the straps pass through the jamb then downwards toward the rack. Otherwise they’re fine if fitted nice and tight, especially if you aren’t too precious about a bit of paint rub.

5lab

Cheapest is upside down on the roof and a couple of ropes through the doors to keep them on/stable. Plenty of surfers use soft racks which is essentially the same system

wrightyson
    Free Member

No boot spoiler so all should be good. Will try one of those types then, off to gum tree!

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Get a 3 or 4 bike rack as most 2 bike racks are made for super slim halfords jobs not DH or enduro Rigs.

Good luck

pictonroad

What sort of rack? We’ve got the usual expensive Thule bike roof bar holders but there’s no roof bars or **** all on the Audi.

The mounts sell on ebay or gumtree for very little money. If you already have 591 racks then you’re just a few quid away from the simplest and best solution to your problem. 🤷🏻‍♂️

kiwicraig

As someone who shuttles most weekends, if you’re going to be shuttling often a tow ball rack is the way forward, like this:

Minimum faff, just put the bikes on, wrap an old inner tube around them to keep them on and away you going. Faffing around with roof racks or those crappy Halfords strap on things is going to get old really quick when you want fast turn arounds.

iainc

Are they decent bikes ? are you concerned about them getting damaged in transit ?

if yes to either, then the right Thule fittings secondhand is probably the wisest plan 🙂

al2000

Think I’ve still got a Thule footpack for a mk1 A3 knocking around – will have a look if you’re interested.

I also used to use a Hollywood boot rack – fit fine, very basic but strong and reliable.

ayjaydoubleyou

If Mrs ws could drive my van it wouldn’t be a problem

Insurance? guessing a works vehicle based on your construction industry posts in the past.

The clip on rear type aren’t terrible, but are far more time consuming to take them on or off. If you’re doing multiple shuttles it will get annoying quick.

Unless there’s more detail, using the van seems the cheapest.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Cheapest way to strap two bikes to an A3.’ is closed to new replies.