Home Forums Chat Forum Cheapest way to build a lean-to

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cheapest way to build a lean-to
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I was thinking of a wooden frame with some corrugated plastic roof panels, but I’d like to keep the rain from blowing in the sides. Is there some sort of product I don’t know about that would function as siding for a frame? I could get a tarp and staple it to the frame but I’m a bit concerned about it flapping in the wind, especially if I had a flap arrangement for access.

Ideas?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I made one on the side of the garage using cheap stuff from B&Q because it was easiest.

1″ batton to make a frame.

Coruscated pitch board for the walls with some corrugated plastic panels for the windows screwed to that.

Aluminium tar tape flashing to seal it against the wall.

I haven’t put a door/flap on mine as it is closed at one end so the wind and rain doesn’t try and blow into it. I will put up some photos if you want.

DT78
    Free Member

I built one between fence and house (well 2 actually, but one was a bit more fancy with a proper roof and nice cladding…)

The cheap one uses fence posts bolted to the ground, the fence forms the exterior wall, the house the interior, I then reused a shed gate and made a second gate out of old decking.

The roof is a couple of sheets of marine ply with left over shingles attached.  Soffits were spare wood from a pallet, and then it has a shed guttering kit.  Bit between the gate / fence and the roof is old decking repurposed.

Total cost was less than a few hundred, most expensive bits being a decent lock and the bolt down things for the fence posts.  Also had some proper exterior paint left over from a past project so it looks pretty good overall.

It was actually very easy to do once I stopped faffing about with planning it and just got on with it

sharkbait
    Free Member

Is there some sort of product I don’t know about that would function as siding for a frame?

How big is it?  T&G boards?

the-muffin-man

Is there some sort of product I don’t know about that would function as siding for a frame?

A door.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s going to be about.. 6×4 or something with opening needed on the long side.

What the heck is coruscated pitch board?

the-muffin-man

6 x 4 is bog-standard size for a shed. You may find it easier and cheaper to buy one of those and forget the lean-to bit.

alan1977
    Free Member

i grabbed prefabbed lean to greenhouse, from robert dyas i think, for less than 300, couple of years ago, bit larger than what you mentioned..

however i worked out i couldn’t buy the materials and time to DIY completely

that being said, did take multiple coats of treatment, and the plastic pane retention is crap, but it was a fine solution for me

jimdubleyou

coruscated

I imagine… corrugated

https://www.roofingmegastore.co.uk/roofing-categories/corrugated-sheets.html

You can use it for walls too…

TheFlyingOx

Realistically anything bodged together will end up rotting and/or needing constant fettling. Just get some treated weatherboard and make tongue& groove sides

DT78
    Free Member

If you didn’t want to use fencing panels for the long side (I presume this is what you are trying to work out how to cover up) then use the cladding of your choice, from shiplap nailed through to more fancy systems.  For the nicer lean too I had a low brick wall on the external side and topped with a plastic and ally cladding system like you see on many houses (from eurocell).  This is more expensive and faffy than just using fence panels

Making your own door is really easy out of pallet wood / old decking.  And old decking is pretty thick so it makes for a pretty strong door too

bassmandan

@DT78 fancy sharing any pics of the cheap one? I want to do essentially the same thing but haven’t got around to working out exactly how yet.

molgrips
    Free Member

6 x 4 is bog-standard size for a shed. You may find it easier and cheaper to buy one of those and forget the lean-to bit.

Yeah but I’ve had many sheds and they were all absolutely shit and rotted away in no time. And they cost a ridiculous amount for what they are. Also the site is not level so that would need addressing, whereas a lean-to I build can slope.

use the cladding of your choice, from shiplap nailed through to more fancy systems

Yeah that is what I am investigating – what my choice of cladding should be.

DT78
    Free Member

Its nowt special, will see if I can work out how to upload pics.  Its is currently rammed full of random bit of wood that will come in useful sometime in the future…. yes, its true, as the lean too they are in is nearly all built from stuff I had horded.

The original gate was pretty knackered and I was going to make a new one but its been fine now for several years. For the decking gate its formed out of pallet wood, screw old decking to it and then trim it with a straight edge.  The decking was already treated so just needed to paint the cut ends.

It may not look pretty but this is tucked around the back of the house where the wheeliebins are stored so it just needs to be functional.

Its pretty low I think 2.2m on the boundary to stick within planning.  I was lucky with the house design as it has a course of bricks jutting out so I could run the roof under than course and its watertight, even without sealent.  If it was just a flat wall you would probably need to cut in a run of lead – which I had expected to do but didn’t have to.

Rafters are major overkill as I had a load of chunky timber left over and I wanted to overbuild it as I needed to be on the roof to nail the shingles on

DT78
    Free Member

This is what I used on the lean to that could be seen and I wanted to look nice:

Coastline Composite Cladding for Exteriors

You can get the horrible looking white pvc stuff much cheaper.

Its quite an easy system to fit, my site restrictions are what made it a faff.  Still a lot slower than just using an existing fence line, or new panels screwed to uprights

bassmandan

I’m fortunate in a way that I have a little out of the way corner of the garden behind the house, enclosed left and rear by house walls and right by the fence. Opening is fairly narrow so some kind of vaguely decent door is going to be all that’s seen.

Biggest problem for me is all the gutter down pipes and two soil pipes I’ll have to work around, plus the fact I can only access from one end.

jam-bo

I’ve had a series of cheap lean to’s out the back. Got a bit carried away with the rebuild…

IMG_3408

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.