Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • cheapest place for train tickets?
  • mrsflash
    Free Member

Trainline? or somewhere else?

(Leeds to Lichfield at the end of July in case that makes a difference!)

twohats
    Free Member

Aye, Trainline.
    Its usually cheaper to buy 2 single tickets rather than a return too, the website should give you this option.

crazy-legs

Trainline or the actual rail company website usually give the same price. I’ve phoned up a couple of times (only way to book the bike on) and sometimes got the same price, sometimes cheaper(!)

mrsflash
    Free Member

ta.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

the website should give you this option.

yes – look for the button on the site for the two singles – invariably cheaper!

As far as I am aware, all the websites take their info from a central source so all prices identical – never tried calling though so no idea about those prices being better.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I think it’s when rather than where you get them that makes the difference.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I think it’s when rather than where you get them that makes the difference.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Oops

mrsflash
    Free Member

Two singles seem to be twice the price in this instance.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I just looked (31/07) and an off-peak return was £52.50, two singles were £32…

mrsflash
    Free Member

I’m going on 24th and back on 26th. Return £43.30, singles £34 there and £40something back.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I guess it depends on the time and availability – there is availability at £19 per ticket, but it depends on what time you need to travel (and only a £5.30 saving)..

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I’ve found the cheapest place to be the ticket office at the train station.
    For example, day return Dundee-Glasgow = £28, BUT
    day return Dundee-Perth = £5 plus day return Perth-Glasgow=£14 = £19, and no you don’t have to get off the train
    This wouldn’t be available on line (or it would, but you’d never find out about it), but those awfully nice and helpful people at the ticket office told me. So they’re worth asking.
    Article about it here

Anna-B
    Free Member

Folks have used http://www.megatrain.com Something like £10 return Birmingham – Edinburgh. But there’s only about 1 per day you can get I think and you can’t book seats. It worked out fine for them though.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

As MrSalmon said, it’s all in the timing. I think it’s c.2-3months* in advance that the really cheap stuff is available. I’ve got tickets from Derby to London (and back) for me and the mrs for £40 for both of us. It did involve working out when the tickets would be released for sale* and marking it down on the calendar tho’.

EDIT: *on a Saturday, 11-12 weeks ahead of travel.

pjt201
    Free Member

ticket office staff have been told not to tell people about these things apparently, which is madness in itself.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

The Trainline will add a booking fee on. The actual company’s website may not

cuckoo
    Free Member

Lucky that the fare system was re-structured a while back to make it easy for passengers now.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘cheapest place for train tickets?’ is closed to new replies.