Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Cheap way to get a FS 29er – bad idea?
  • TheFopster
    Free Member

My “main” bike is a Lapierre Zesty, but I also have a Voodoo Bokor 29er I use as a commuter where I work away from home. I’m a little over 6ft and like the smooth rolling, but prefer a full sus for a “proper” bike as riding a hardtail all day does take it out of me (not as young as I was…).

So – there are some nice FS framesets available for not crazy money (Santa Cruz superlight or Titus Rockstar both about a grand or even a bit less). I was thinking of rebulding the Voodoo components onto one of these framesets and if I like it replacing the Lapierre with it then gradually upgrading the components.

What do you think? Bad idea? It’s a Suntour air fork (not as bad as people seem tot hink nowadays) and some simple and solid Deore gears 3×9. Wheels are unbranded and no doubt portly…

Sound like a plan? Seems a cheap way to get a FS 29er for a grand.

sambob
    Free Member

As long as all the bits fit, no reason why not.

takisawa2

Have you actually tried a nice hardtail 29er ?
    I think they offer a more compliant ride than 26″ hardtails, even with rigid forks. Your idea sounds ok though.

TheFopster
    Free Member

Hmmm. I think it is time to have a word with the house finance committee. I think a Titus Rockstar could be the way forward…

jasonm945
    Free Member

Looks good, but how tall are you? Would one of these fit?
    That way you get a stonking pair of forks aswell 😀

Jay

nedrapier

In my experience, you need to be careful with the “gradually” part. What could have been a straight swap over (26″ hardtail to 26″ hardtail) left only rear mech, BB and saddle from the previous build. 🙂

TheFopster
    Free Member

Jay

Brilliant suggestion – that’s astonishing value. Sadly I am over 6ft with long arms and legs so always end up on a large frame, or I would probably have gone for that…

Back to plan A.

khani
    Free Member

I got a v1 rockstar frame with an rp23 from wiggle for £666 with the intention of doing a parts swap from my old bike to keep costs down, the only things that ended up on it were the brakes, pedals and grips… 😳 I love it though…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Cheap way to get a FS 29er – bad idea?’ is closed to new replies.