Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cheap Folding Bike for Occasional Use.
  • catfood
    Free Member

Any recommendations for folding bikes that ride nicely and are on the cheap side, tbh I’ll probably pick one up on Marketplace as sometimes they can be very cheap but would rather not get a lemon, I’ve missed out on a couple this week (a Btwin for £60!).

It’s just for occasional use when I visit my mum, she lives in a village in Lancashire which the Leeds to Liverpool canal runs through and I thought it’d be nice to potter off on towpath rides, stopping at pubs etc rather than my usual jape of  doing the same country walks round the village that I’ve been doing for the last fifty years.

Any pointers appreciated.

TiRed

Used Mezzo i4. Rides better than a Brompton, weighs a bit less, folds about the same. Doesn’t take luggage as well, so you need a rucksack. And I;ve had a Brompton, Airnimal, Tactic, Btwin, and an Airframe. Change the tires for the latest Continentals (£80 including new tubes) and you’ll have a super bike. Mine was £150.

For canal paths, the 20″ wheeled Btwin will be fine too, you won’t need gears, but again tyres are poor. Mine is commuting fixed around Dublin with Marathon plus tyres, a longer stem and drop bars.

catfood
    Free Member

Whatever I get I’ll probably put some Marathons Pluses on, I have them on all my non mountain bikes and haven’t had a puncture in a decade.

I just had a look at that Mezzo, quite unique (challenging) looking design but it’s all about the ride, if it rides well that what matters.

Thanks for the feedback.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I got my GF an old Dahon 20″, I think anything half decent like that will work ok for pootling (she loves it).

There wasn’t much around SH when I was looking (this time of year) but you’d hope there’ll be someone clearing out one that’s barely been used.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I kept looking at those Carerra 9-speed hydraulic brake folders that were ~£400 outside Halfords sales, partly for the novelty of owning my first ever folding bike.

8-speed mechanical brake version was still available last time I looked, but sadly the blue hydraulic seems to have finished.

simon_g

I’ve got one of those mech disc braked Carreras, it’s no Brompton (which I’ve owned in the past) for folding but rides fine, good for following the kids about on their bikes/scooters/skateboards.

I’m pretty sure they’re an old Dahon/Tern design.

finephilly
    Free Member

I have a Giant conway. Pretty good and prefer that to a cheap new one. It you can get one with a rack, that is useful. Also make sure the whole thing is not too wobbly when assembled as the bars /seatpost are very long, so a lot of leverage on the frame etc. mine are 20” wheels and Its ok to ride a max of about 30 miles but will still fold into a train/bus luggage rack.

Had 25kg of sand on it yesterday!

jamesmio
    Free Member

Tiger Origami might fit the bill.

They’re a British brand ( albeit the bikes are all from the far east like everyone else) but they’re cheap yet sensibly built.

jonnyrobertson

I bought a Giant Halfeay last year for 150 quid for occasional work pootling. Put bigger tyres on it (just ebay cheapies but made by Schwalbe), flat bars, a “racier” saddle and folding pedals.  20 inch wheels so decent enough cushioning and it is pretty rapid. Doesn’t fold up like a Brompton but its not bad, it’s also light enough for me to chuck on or off the loco from ballast level.  As mentioned, can feel a tad flexy (and very light at the front) when I have a fully loaded work bag on the rear rack but without that it feels solid and stable. Actually really good fun to ride. Seems to be a few on Marketplace for varying prices.

catfood
    Free Member

Well I seem to have scored a very cheap folder from Marketplace, a Raleigh Evo 2, not the smallest folder or best folder but it only needs to go in the boot of the car, they’re now £350 new and the woman wants £30 as she said it needs some tlc, which when pressed is actually just the tyres need pumping up and a spot of oil here and there.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.