Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cheap commuter – Kona Smoke?
  • ddmonkey

Anyone got one? Looked like a neat little bike that would be very cheap and take a few upgrade bits lying around…

sodafarls
    Free Member

I sold a few last year…they seem pretty basic and heavy to be honest. Have you had a look at the 09 Dew here?

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/19925/Kona_Dew_Bike_2009

£230 seems a decent price for a better bike.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I've recently bought a Carrera Subway One from Halfords. They are £300 but in the sale at £220. If you reserve online you get 10% extra off, so £198. AND you get a £20 accessories voucher which I spent on mudguards.
    Now I like Konas, but they are way overpriced. The Subway is better specced than the Kona and a lot cheaper.
    Mine is the new 09 model which looses the crappy suspension seatpost and adjustble stem, and looks quite smart in gloss black with subtle graphics.
    There's not much needs changing either. Even the saddle, tyres and pedals are decent. It's a bit undergeared but 7sp kit is dirt cheap if you feel like adding some speed like I did (28/38/48 Crankset, BB & front mech to suit and 11-28 cassette for a tad over £50!!)
    It's a nice ride too. Solid and comfy but quick and nimble too. I like it a lot, TBH.

Also, try looking at The Edinburgh Bicycle Co-Op Revolution range. Very nice bikes as well…. But some of them don't have braze ons for a front mech, which is why I bought the Carerra 🙂

ddmonkey

Hmm yes saw that too but was looking for steel rather than ali for comfort / durability. Is it not that significant?

ddmonkey

Hmm thanks I'll have a look. The alternative is to buy an old inbred and get some carbon forks and build up from bits lying about, would cost about the same… but me 26" rather than 29"

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It's just as comfy as any steel bike I've ever had, TBH. I'll be touring for 2 weeks on it next year! Certainly no worse than the Roadrat I had before it, but a lot of that is due to 1.5in tyres. They still roll very well though and I'm cruising at just about the same speed i was on the Roadrat 🙂

I did have a 700c Saracen Helix, but that was harsh as hell. I swapped that for the Roadrat which was better, but a tad big for me and my needs have changed a bit (I need to do some mild offroad), so I sold the RR for the same price I bought it for, bought the Carerra and pocketed £200……. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Mrs PP has a Trek 7.2fx (I think that's it) which was £300. That's a lovely bike too, especially for the money.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I ought to do some pics of my Carerra actually, I seem to be recommending it a lot recently!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sorry for all the posts, I keep thinking of more stuff….!

My view is that a cheap ally frame is better then a cheap steel one: We both looked at the Smoke when we bought our bikes too and I did some research on here and other places, and most people think the Smoke is a heavy and dull bike to ride and it doesn't get very good reviews.

ddmonkey

OK thanks for that. I've got a test on one booked and I might try the Dew at the same time to compare. Veering back to getting another inbred frame to build up….

sodafarls
    Free Member

I had a Subway 8 with Nexus hub gears (until it was stolen). Couldn't fault it either at £199 sale price. I think i'd want to try 700c wheels on my next commuter though, just for the change.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think i'd want to try 700c wheels on my next commuter though, just for the change.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've had 2 700c commuters and fancied a 26in one! 🙂

ddmonkey

Yes quite fancied bigger wheels but not that fussed…

wors

i've just ordered a subway 1 as well on PP's recommendation so if its shite, i'm coming for you!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cheap commuter – Kona Smoke?’ is closed to new replies.